- Fashion and Beauty»
- Hairstyles, Cool Cuts, How to Style Your Hair
Platinum Hair Color and Aftercare
All the Craze
Platinum hair is where it’s at – whether it is long or short, platinum hair is a guaranteed attention getter. Many celebrities strut around with their hair that looks great with platinum tones. Every wonder if you could achieve your own sense of fame with your hairstyle. I can say that platinum hair usually turns a lot of heads. Some that you may recognize with these hairstyles are:
- Gwen Stefani
- Marilyn Monroe
- Christina Aguilera
- Miley Cyrus
Decisions – Taking the Plunge
Deciding to take the plunge may be easy for some, though if you are the apprehensive type this may be some helpful information that you can use while deciding. Have you thought, I would love to do it but I cannot pull it off. Well I thought that for years, until I did it. If you are wondering how it will look with your skin tone, it is suggested for those with cool undertones. However, I have fair olive skin and love my platinum hair. The best way to decide if platinum is right for you, go out and try on a wig with the desired hair style. Now you will know if you will look good in platinum or not.
How to Video
I love Pink!!
Now that you have decided to go for the change one must consider the cost and benefits to the plunge. The best advice I could give is to find a hairstylist that has a lot of experience with hair color processes. If you have previous color or have experimented with your hair in the past I highly stress seeing a professional. Going platinum is not a simple process, it is very damaging and if you are unskilled in this area you can cause irreversible damage that may require an unwanted haircut. The reason I recommend a professional is a platinum shade requires the removal of almost all pigmentation in the hair and if you have dark hair that is not easily attained. However, if you are a home hair care person I will give some quick recommendations to do it yourself.
First the products you will need are:
Such as L'Oreal Quick Blue Powder Lightener – either the packets or the 1 lb. tub. I recommend the tub since you will use this product frequently
Either 20 or 30 volume – I commonly use Salon Care brand. If you decide to use 30 volume to lift dark hair you will also need a 20 volume for the toner after the process is complete.
Developer - 20 or 30 vol.
With platinum hair you must use a purple toner – I will explain the importance of that later. I like to use Wella Color Charm T18.
You will also need something to cover your clothes, combs, gloves and clips
These products are all available at your local Sally's Beauty Supply store.
Virgin Hair Process
- The night before the process part and apply coconut oil to the scalp which will help protect the scalp from chemical burn. Don’t worry if you get it on the hair, coconut oil is good for the hair.
- Do not wash your hair for a day or two before the process as a way to help avoid scalp irritation as well.
- The day of – put a small layer of Vaseline around the hairline to help avoid scalp irritation.
- Section your hair in 4 sections. If your hair is shoulder length or longer use extra care as the ends of your hair is aged and more damaged. Getting a partner can be helpful unless you can really see in the back of your head.
- Follow the directions on the bleach and mix your first batch.
- Begin applying the bleach mixture on the hair shaft mid-way down to the ends. Very important in the first stages to keep the bleach away from the scalp.
- Complete this process on all 4 sections
- Keep the bleach mixture on the hair for the recommended processing time. Achieving platinum hair for the first time usually takes a applications unless your natural hair is somewhat light. The shade that you are looking to reach is between a pale yellow and almost white. *
*Note that blue tinted bleach makes the hair look lighter than it actually is, so do not take it off to early.
- If you have not reached the desired level of yellow rinse the hair and reapply.
- Once you have achieve an orange(ish) tone begin applying the bleach up to 1” away from the scalp. The scalp is the last area of application.
- Now once the mid-shaft to ends have achieved an orange shade then apply the bleach the scalp.
*Note the scalp area processes faster due to the production of body heat. Heat makes the bleach process faster.
- Once all three areas are lifted to a pale yellow/white color rinse the bleach and shampoo the hair.
- Mix the toner with 20 volume developer and apply to the hair for the recommended time.
- Rinse and condition
- Style as normal
- Viola, platinum hair
More Hair Care Links
- How to dye your hair
Hair dye can allow you to change your entire style with ease. Discover how to dye your hair for salon quality results.
- Hair DIY: How to Take Care of Long Hair: My Hair Car...
Long hair needs maintanence to keep it looking healthy & beautiful. Here, I've shared my hair care horrors, how you can prevent damage, and how to maintain that beautiful hair!
- Top Nine Mistakes Made When Bleaching Hair At Home
Top nine mistakes made when bleaching hair at home. Avoid a hair bleaching disaster by following these simple tips.
- Platinum Blonde Hair Care
If you have platinum blonde hair, you'll know it takes more work than other colours to maintain. The damage from bleaching can leave hair feeling dry and brittle, while the colour of light blonde hair can quickly turn from platinum to yellow. If you.
- Section hair is 4 sections
- Mix the bleach and developer
- Apply the mixture to the dark roots only for the recommended processing time– be careful not to overlap the product onto previously lightened hair. Extra hands are very helpful.
- More than one process may be required.
- Once the correct tone has been achieved, rinse out bleach and shampoo hair
- Mix toner with 20 volume developer and add it to hair for recommended time
- Rinse and condition hair.
- Style as normal
I would consider trying out platinum hair
Achieving platinum hair is very time consuming and damaging, therefore caring for your processed tresses are extremely important. First and foremost, the purple toner helped to cancel out the yellow in the hair and purple shampoo will help to maintain the color. So remember, platinum equals purple, purple, purple. Another valuable product to use is a weekly deep conditioner. One that contains protein to rebuild weak hair and moisture as platinum color is very drying. Products I like using:
- Joico color care in violet – shampoo and conditioner
- Cholesterol deep conditioner
- Hot oil treatments
- Coconut oil – I love to put about a dime size in my hair everyday. It does not make the hair greasy and adds moisture to the hair.
Platinum hair is very fun and lively, yet takes a great deal of dedication to keep it looking fabulous. Not like other styles, to keep the platinum color pure and free of yellow or brassy tones it is imperative to use purple products. I recommend to see a professional to achieve this style, especially if your hair is shoulder length or longer as it is not a simple process. Have fun with your hair and be fabulous.