Hillbilly Chic (a Country Fashion Guide)
Miss Me Rhinestone Cross Jeans
So, you’ve got tickets to a rodeo or a country music concert. Embracing your inner cowgirl to create a western look is fun. This article will give you the dos and don’ts of country fashion.
I’ve been to many concerts and rodeos and wondered if some people have mirrors in their house. If they had a mirror, I don’t think they bothered to look in it. Sometimes people mistake country fashion with plain old redneck fashion. There’s nothing wrong with looking a little redneck, but believe me it can be done fashionable.
Redneck Cup Holder
Let’s start with a few Don’ts
- Don’t ever use your cleavage as a cup holder for a water bottle or beer unless you are in desperate need of attention. Be on the lookout for the redneck paparazzi, which is when friends split up and one poses in a way that you are the background of the picture. This is cool if you’ve always wanted to be the most famous redneck on the internet, but not cool if that wasn’t your intentions.
- Don’t try to rock the bikini top under the cut-off overall shorts if you are in the um, heavier category. Fat rolls hanging out of the sides aren’t fun for anyone to look at. Again, lookout for the redneck paparazzi. With cell phone cameras they can get pretty sly, and even look like they are reading a text when in fact they are taking your picture.
- Don’t wear anything too tight, and too short. Leave a little for the imagination and remember there are a lot of people who will be seeing you who really didn’t want to see that much of you in the first place.
- Think that by throwing on cowboy boot on with a skanky outfit that you look like a cowgirl.
Now I hope that you aren’t currently committing one of those country fashion don’ts. If you are don’t worry, there is hope.
Gypsy Cowgirl Western Boots
- Bling is in. Still. I thought it was going to be a passing fad that was over in a year or two. That’s not the case. Bling is popular in country fashion from jewelry, shirts, and pants. If it has bling on it, buy it. You’ll shine.
- Chunky Jewelry. Chunky strands of turquoise and other gemstones complete with a pendant. Usually the pendants are a Concho, Spur Rowel, or Cross. These usually have crystals on them. They are a great accessory with your tank tops and t-shirts.
- Vintage designed shirts. These include tank tops, t-shirts, and long sleeved t-shirts. They’re usually adorned with a vintage western design and of course crystals.
- Black, Turquoise, and Silver. This combination is classic and I don’t think it will ever go old.
- A good pair of jeans. It used to be that Wrangler was your only choice for jeans. Not anymore. Now there is Cowgirl Tuff, Miss Me, and more. Yes, a lot of the new western jeans have crystal designs on them.
- A flowing sundress and cute cowboy boots. There are so many awesome designs for cowboy boots. I think it’s a shame that so many of them get covered up by jeans. This look is a casual country look and it can show off those boots!
- A cute pair of cowboy boots. There are so many designs of cowboy boots. There is a wide range of prices too. The higher the quality the longer they’ll last. Buy as high of quality of cowboy boots as you can afford. (It also makes a difference how often you’ll be wearing them.)
- Flip Flops with (you guessed it) bling! These were big last year and are coming in strong again for this summer. There are a lot of varieties of bling flip flops, find your favorites for your summer country concerts.
- Animal prints. This is another one I’m surprised is still popular, but it is. Zebra prints, leopard prints, and more. Zebra prints are still number one.
- Peace signs. Cowboys and hippies used to never get along, but now peace has come to the Western World. You can find peace signs on hats, clothing, jewelry, and purses.
- A leather purse with cowhide and crystals.
- Cute Western Charm necklace. I’ve seen a variety of these and they are cute! An interesting note is a lot of these Western Charm necklaces don’t have as much bling as a lot of other products to.
Country Weekly Fashion Show
A few suggestions...
- There are a lot of options when it comes to country fashion. If you’re pants are sporting crystal pockets pick a shirt that is not embellished. You can add a pendant, ring, or earrings with crystals if you want to add more.
- Try the sundress and cowboy boots. It sounds like a crazy mix, but it is cute. You can either show off some super cute boots or go with a more “rustic” look with your dirty worn cowboy boots.
- You can add a little bit of country to any look by wearing a chunky jewelry necklace or western charm necklace. There are also cute leather cuffs and big bracelets. These can add a “Rock & Roll” flair to your western style.
- Just because you can dress head to toe with crystals, doesn't mean you should. You don't want to look like one big rhinestone. Mix and match accessories and outfits until you find your personal style.
Remember that country is all about feeling carefree. Don’t stress out about getting the perfect “country look”. If you go to enough concerts or rodeos you’ll see how others dress and you can decide what you like and dislike. Country is more than a look, it’s how you feel!
Ready to plan your rodeo vacation?
- The 10 Rodeos Every Rodeo Fan Should Visit
Are you a rodeo fan looking to plan a vacation? Why not pick one of these 10 places and visit during their rodeo? You'll find rodeo information below about ten rodeos you should see. These are big rodeos...