- Fashion and Beauty
Home Remedies for Smelly Hair
10 Excellent Home Remedies to Get Rid of Smelly Hair
Smelly hair represents the bad condition of hair with unpleasant odor arising from the hair and scalp. This condition is said to be as smelly hair syndrome. Reasons would be environmental factors and rough particles that stick to the hair and cause strong smells. Smelly hair has no link with poor hygiene.
Other conditions may develop from the smelly hair such as scalp psoriasis and fungal infections and it may be due to various other reasons like stress and hormonal imbalance, bad protection of hair, using products with harsh chemicals that do not suit your hair, etc. In spite of using hair products to settle down your hair, you should go for the home remedies. The lots of natural herbs are introduced here which stimulates the scalp nourishment and make your hair pleasantly beautiful though. Here are some of the natural home remedies that will show you amazing results.
1. Baking Soda
Baking soda is useful for the hair and is widely used among many countries. Baking soda actually neutralized the vulgar smell of hair and also helps in eliminating the oiliness of your hair.
- In two or three parts water, mix one part baking soda.
- First wash your hair with water then apply baking soda solution on your hair. Leave it on your hair for only five minutes then rinse off.
- Repeat the process at least once in a week.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar contains many beneficial properties and works as a natural hair clarifier. It stops the development of those products that are the cause of generating the smelly odor in your hair. It also helps in maintaining the normal pH level, adds shine and stops the growth of frizzy hair.
- Take one-half cup of organic apple cider vinegar and mix it in two cups of distilled water.
- Now add three drops of an essential oil like lavender, rose, etc.
- This solution should spray in hair for few minutes then rinse it off with cold water.
3. Lemon Juice
Lemon juice is the perfect remedy for adding shine and pausing smelly odor. Lemon has the fresh nature and thus it leaves your hair fresh all the day. Lemon is also beneficial for eliminating dandruff and scalp infections.
- In a cup of hot water, add lemon juice squeezed with two lemons.
- First shampoo your hair then use this mixture into your hair and scalp. Leave the solution for few minutes then rinse it off. Follow the remedy twice a week.
- You should mix lemon juice with a cup of plain yogurt to work in your hair whether you have a scalp infection. Leave the mixture for 30 minutes before washing it. Follow the remedy once a week.
- You can also add lemon juice with some fragrant essential oil like rosemary or lavender oil and leave it for all night. Do this treatment three times per week.
4. Tomato Juice
Tomato juice works the same and leaves your hair without any foul smell. Tomatoes are acidic in nature thus it helps in the balanced pH level of your hair.
- Squeeze the juice from fresh tomatoes and directly apply this juice in your scalp.
- Leave it for about 15 minutes then rinse it off. Do this once or twice a week.
5. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil contains antimicrobial properties and this is the reasons it helps nourishing the scalp and removes the smelly condition of hair. Acne and dandruff can also be controlled through tea tree oil.
- In water, dilute little bit of tea tree oil then apply it on your scalp. Leave it on for 30 minutes then shampoo your hair.
- Add few drops of tea tree oil into your shampoo.
- Follow the remedy twice a week.
6. Neem Oil
Neem is also called as Indian lilac; Neem oil is easily available in the market to treat the scalp infections and fights against the bad odor. It is all useful for those antiseptic properties present in it.
- You can add neem oil to your shampoo.
- Optionally, you can apply few drops of neem oil on your scalp, massage then leave it overnight.
- If you do not get neem oil so you can add neem leaves in a cup of hot water.
- Cool the solution then strain it to wash your hair.
- Do this once a week.
7. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is all set for the hair. Aloe vera contains soothing properties that help in soothing and healing the scalp problems. Aloe vera helps in the contribution with hair loss, reducing dandruff.
- Squeeze some fresh aloe vera gel from aloe vera leaves.
- After shampooing your hair, use this gel to apply on your hair. Leave it for 15 minutes then rinse it off.
- Alternatively, you can add one tbsp. of lemon juice and one-half tsp of aloe vera gel to your shampoo.
8. Orange Peels
Orange juice along with its peels works great for exfoliating and deodorizing the smelly hair. It removes acne and dandruff from your hair.
- Take a jar and fill it with orange peels then pour the apple cider vinegar.
- Store the solution for two weeks.
- After that strain the infusion and store the jar in the refrigerator.
- Now add two tbsp. of this solution in 16-ounce spray bottle of water.
- Spray it on your hair after washing for few minutes.
- You can also boil orange peel powder in water.
- Allow the solution to cool at room temperature then rinse your hair with it.
- Do this remedy once a week.
Vodka comes in cheap cost and is suitable for your hair because it helps in removing the products from building up in your hair to cause smell. It will promote your hair growth and make it soft and shiny.
- In 16-ounce spray bottle filled with water, add one tbsp. of vodka.
- First shampoo your hair then spray this solution to all over your hair and scalp.
- Do not rinse it off as it will dry on its own.
- Do this remedy once a week.
10. Honey and Cinnamon
A mask can be prepared from honey and cinnamon which causes rapid action towards getting rid of unpleasant smell comes from your hair. Honey and cinnamon both work greatly for hair due to the presence of antibacterial and antifungal functions.
- Take a cup of water and boil it then add one-half tsp of cinnamon powder in it.
- Let it steep for half an hour.
- Add one tsp of honey in it.
- Apply this mixture to your scalp and hair then leave it for few hours.
- Wash it off with water then shampoo your hair.
- Follow the remedy twice a week.
Caution: The above ingredients can cause lightening of your hair over the time.
One tbsp. of honey with one-quarter tsp of cinnamon powder can be mixed together for the purpose of consumption when needed. It stimulates and increases the strength of immune system and fights infections.
Along with these remedies, you should do other things that are also important for the prevention of your hair like mousses and serums. You should be sure while applying conditioner that it do not reach into the hair as it will cause oiliness to your hair thus results in smelly hair.
After washing your hair, do not tie your hair immediately but let it dry completely. Select the shampoo that contains sulfur and salicylic acid for eliminating the bad odor of your hair, itchiness and dandruff.