Homemade Mascara Recipe
Applying Mascara ~
If there is one color cosmetic that is my ultimate favorite, must have indulgence then magical mascara is definitely it.
As a Make-Up Artist cosmetics have always intrigued me in their textures and application methods.
The most subtle use of a lip gloss in the right shade not only enhances the skin and features but may have an impact on the wearer’s mood, personality and confidence.
Mascara is another enhancing product that with a mere brush stroke on the lashes will lengthen, thicken, darken or /and define the lashes giving an instant lift and frame to the eyes.
Keep It Simple
Get a Grip Girl ~
I have made color cosmetics including lip gloss, lip balm and crème blush all with great success but have been reluctant to replace my treasured Max Factor mascara every 3 months with a homemade replacement, truth be known.
That is until NOW.
Deciding enough is enough, get a grip girl, get real you can’t afford it, I hit the research trail.
Having a number of DIY beauty solutions under my belt, I know the dangers that are lurking in much of what we use in skin care and makeup products, sadly mascara is bound to be no different.
Formulations for mascara have similar basic elements of wax, color pigment and oils regardless of the brand but unfortunately do contain other ingredients that should ring alarm bells LOUDLY. How did my Max Factor mascara rate?
Antique Mascara Bottle
Out of 1511 different mascara tested and rated, only 4 received 10 out of 10 in the health rating.
Research, Research ~
Having a very inquisitive nature I wanted to see just how harmful my beloved 2000 Calorie mascara rated so I looked at the list of ingredients.
First off, I was pleasantly surprised to see a reasonably short list of ingredients (11 mentioned) which included beeswax, carnauba wax and rice wax. Not bad sounding right?
As I wanted a comparison I looked up Avon mascara as I have used Avon products through the years regularly. 29 ingredients listed, most unpronounceable.
Next stop was to check out how my mascara rated on the Good Guide as a product and I was relieved somewhat to see it rated highly as “one of the good guys” but still room for improvement.
The Good Guide rates thousands of branded products in three categories, health, environment and society.
Out of all the Max Factor products listed, my mascara had the highest health rating of 8 out of 10, hence room for improvement.
In their opinion
“This product contains ingredients that raise a low level of health concern”
Homemade Beauty Makes Sense ~
My guideline or philosophy since my journey began in homemade beauty products has been if I don't know the ingredients or cannot at least pronounce them . . . . FORGET IT.
With so many everyday ingredients in our homes that are beneficial to us, it just requires a change in mindset.
I believe in keeping things simple. Using quality ingredients that work, are versatile (making them cost effective), and cut out chemicals that have known harmful effects.
There are too many toxic ingredients being used in products thanks to loose regulations, particularly in America which I for one find criminal.
This recipe has just 4 ingredients, yes 4. Not 11 or 29. If I can change in mascara you can too, believe me!
organic coconut oil
Black Mascara Recipe ~
2 tsp Coconut Oil
4 tsp Aloe Vera Gel
1 – 2 capsules Activated Charcoal (1/2 tsp)
1 tsp Beeswax (grated)
You Will Need:
1or 2 mascara tubes (if recycling make sure they are completely clean and sterile)
1or 2 mascara wands (same as for tubes)
- Add the coconut oil, beeswax and aloe vera gel to your saucepan and heat very gently on the stove until the beeswax is completely melted.
- Pierce your activated charcoal capsule (aim for ½ tsp) and add to saucepan.
- Mix well until combined and turn off heat.
- Pour or spoon mixture into one corner at the bottom of the plastic bag.
- In the opposite corner, cut across the corner making a small hole.
- Fold this corner up and push it into your mascara tube. Make sure to push it down a bit to avoid any mess. Do these parts over a piece of kitchen roll in case of any spillage. An extra pair of hands would be useful to hold the container and the corner down the tube to prevent it moving.
- Start filling up the mascara tube slowly by pushing the mixture towards and through the hole.
- When complete, add in your wand and screw tight.
- One black conditioning, separating and lengthening mascara is ready to go!
- During very warm weather you may want to keep it in the fridge to prevent it liquefying too much.
- A disposable non needle type of syringe would be ideal to use to fill up your tube.
- A small funnel that fits down the neck of the tube works too.
- For brown mascara – try using powdered walnut hulls, cocoa powder or crushed eyeshadow (quality ones) instead.
- For colored mascara – if vibrant fashion colors appeal, try the quality eyeshadows crushed up.
- NEVER allow anyone to use your mascara. It is one cosmetic product that cross infection is highly possible. The eye area is the most sensitive part of the face and deserves some respect and care.
Eye infections are too common and serious to play the Good Samaritan for.
If you do loan it to a friend remember if she has an eye infection and you end up with it, you will be REPLACING ALL your cosmetics and washing ALL your makeup brushes along with a costly visit to the doctor, your choice.
Make Your Own Lash Growth Gel
My Conclusion ~
This was my initiation into the world of mascara making and I have been delighted at the results.
Is it as black as I would wear? No, probably not but it provides a good black coating for my naturally black eyelashes. Is it waterproof? No panda eyes to report yet! Does it come off easily? I use some olive oil and it works a treat for removing it.
If you are a diehard mascara fan then give this homemade one a try.
Your eyelashes will thank you!
“Creating health awareness through homemade beauty solutions”
Are you brave enough to make your own mascara?
Savings All Around
Great Info from Randi
- The Benefits of Using Coconut Oil in Your Daily Beauty Routine.
Coconut Oil is one of the newer "miracle" products! What used to be only a food product has become known as a moisturizer and much, much more! Read on to discover some of the many uses of coconut oil!
More Makeup Magic ~
- How to Get Beautiful Eyelashes and Eyebrows with Cas...
Are you longing for thicker longer eyelashes? Are your eyebrows in need of some help? Beautiful eyelashes and eyebrows can be yours by using castor oil nightly. Read on to find out more information on Castor Oil and Jamaican Black Castor Oil
- How to Apply Loose Powder Eyeliners
Applying eyeliner in loose powder form is easy and by using existing eyeshadow colors, is a great way of saving your cash. Eyeliner should not be feared and yet it is by many women so let me give you some well chosen tips and advice on eyeliners.
- How to Quickly Remove Eyeliner Mistakes
When you wear eyeliner it is important to know how to quickly remove any eyeliner mistakes that can happen to the best of us. With many different forms of eyeliner including liquid eyeliner and kohl pencil available commercially, avoiding panda eyes,
- When Should You Throw Out Your Makeup?
Have you wondered when you should throw out your makeup? Is there a right time? Many women have a pile of makeup products that they keep on using but is it harmful? Read on for guidelines and tips.
- Wedding Makeup for Beginners
Wedding Makeup or specifically Bridal Makeup does not need to be done by a Make Up Artist when following my Wedding Makeup for Beginners guide with tips on preparation, products and best application.
- Makeup Craft Ideas for Teens
Teenage girls love makeup so why not show them some great makeup craft ideas at home. Makeup is expensive so here I have put together some of the top must have color cosmetics, teenage girls love. They are all easy to make and prepare in your kitchen
- How to Find Good Quality Makeup Affordably
Do you wish you knew how to find good quality makeup brands affordably? It is very possible to buy your favorite Mac foundation or Bobbi Brown lipstick at reduced prices with a few pointers. Quality brands do not have to mean expensive.
- How to Get Your Face Ready to Apply Makeup
Before you apply makeup you need to get the skin ready which means skin care. This does not have to mean using many different skin care products, especially when it is for every day makeup. Read on to find a simple but effective skin care routine.
Author Info ~
Information on the author, her bio and full body of works available @ Suzie HQ
Credit to homesteadbound ~
All dividers used in this hub are used with permission granted on hub, Creating Dividers to Use on Your Hubs