Homemade Shampoo Using Coconut Milk and Castile Soap
by my friend Om ~
- How to Make Fresh Coconut Milk
Step-by-step instructions with pictures on how to prepare homemade coconut milk. Plus, coconut fun facts and more!
Hair Raising Facts ~
Spending a fortune every month on hair products was something many of us do without blinking an eye or maybe we do temporarily when the cash register says you owe some outrageous amount.
But then we sigh and say “Well they are a necessity, after all, I need to have my color treated hair shampoo, conditioner and styling products” and off we go without giving it a second thought.
Does that sound familiar?
I was besotted about my hair, truth be known, I hold my hands up.
Having had highlights in my teens I have always experimented with cuts, colors and products on my hair. Using top branded products cost me an arm and a leg for the styling mousses, gels, waxes and so on.
Suddenly when the income was not there for such items I turned to homemade solutions and some fascinating facts emerged.
Homemade Hair Shampoo
- Do You Know What's In Your Shampoo?
An article about the dangerous chemicals in your shampoo by Cheryl Hoard.
Hair Shampoo ~
One was the “no poo” craze. The “no poo” idea has been around for awhile and has sparked mixed reactions from those who have tried it. In a nutshell it is shampoo without lather.
Now personally I have found this a hard one to use continually, the fact is I like my suds but more importantly so does my hair.
Coconut milk is the secret ingredient in taking pure castile soap to another level. On its own, liquid castile soap will wash but not really shampoo with the lather.
Add coconut milk and suddenly you have the most wonderful shampoo you could imagine. Coconut contains natural surfactants which when combined with Castile turns it into a shampoo full of lather. It works on all hair types from normal to oily and leaves the hair gorgeously clean, soft and silky.The other huge benefits with these two ingredients are no synthetic chemicals, simple ingredients you have control over and you are in the quality control seat. For this recipe canned coconut milk or homemade coconut milk may be used.
To make them slightly different and unique I have included small amounts of carrier oil and gorgeous essential oil to add extra benefits for different hair types. Equally, you do not have to add any fragrance if you do not want to, so welcome on board you are now going to create your very own personalized hair shampoo!
Easy Mix N Match Shampoo Recipe ~
1/4 cup Coconut Milk (organic or homemade)
1/3 cup Liquid Castile Soap
10 - 15 drops Essential Oil of Choice
1 tsp Carrier Oil of Choice
Add the liquid castile soap and coconut milk to your container and stir gently.
Screw on cap and shake gently.
One shampoo ready to go!
This customized shampoo should last up to a month.
Follow with conditioner if needed or even a rinse in apple cider vinegar and warm water.
Lavender Essential Oil
Best Essential Oils ~
Normal Hair - Lavender, Rosemary, Lemon, Geranium, Clary Sage, Thyme or Cedarwood.
Dry Hair - Lavender, Rosemary, Sandalwood or Geranium.
Oily Hair - Lavender, Rosemary, Cypress, Lemon or Peppermint.
Dandruff - Tea Tree, Lavender, Rosemary, Lemon, Thyme, Cedarwood, Basil, Sage or Cypress.
Best Carrier Oil ~
Norma Hair - Jojoba, Almond or Borage.
Dry Hair - Jojoba, Borage, Avocado, Almond, Sesame or Cocoa Butter.
Oily Hair - Jojoba, Borage or Sesame.
Dandruff - Jojoba or Borage.
Homemade Castile Soap
Alternative Recipe and How to Make Coconut Milk
- Homemade Coconut Milk and Coconut Milk SHAMPOO (Revised) | One Good Thing by Jillee
Alternative recipe without using Castile soap but using baby shampoo/wash and for the step by step to making your own coconut milk.
Ideas N Tips ~
- Apart from unscented soap, Dr Bronner's do a wonderful range of scented liquid castile soap or bar soap which you can co-ordinate with similar essential oils for a real kick of your favorite fragrance. Some of the most popular scented soaps are lavender, rose, peppermint, orange and almond.
- This recipe may be easily customized for the family too for individual hair types.
- I am aware this formula may not suit everybody so I have added a link to another shampoo recipe and her steps on how to make coconut milk.
- Use old shampoo or conditioner containers instead of buying new ones. Make sure they are thoroughly washed out and sterilized before reusing. Customize your own label with a date. More suggestions are the empty ketchup and mustard bottles with the squeeze tops or the ones used in applying hair color. These are usually available in dollar stores, euro stores or inexpensive outlets. Pump dispensers are useful for shampoo, conditioner or hair gel when making them at home. Use small travel size containers and decanter hair products into them when travelling.
- Don’t forget to start with your trusty notebook and pen. Write down your ingredients and how much to added in of what oils. You may wish to tweak it as you go so always remember to update your notes.
- When using essential oils always add a few drops at a time and see if the strength is enough. Everyone is different and essential oils all have varying degrees of lasting power depending on if they are a top, middle or base note scent (all 3 “notes” are used in perfume making).
- When you have decided on your essential oils, do check the contra-indications of these oils before purchasing or using as it may be not advised with certain medical conditions.
- If you fancy making your own castile soap check out this great recipe which includes a video tutorial.
Easy How to Make Homemade Coconut Milk
More Coconut ~
- Homemade Eye Cream With Coconut Oil and Vitamin E
Making a homemade eye cream that is beneficial to the delicate skin around the eye is made easy here with 2 ingredients. Coconut Oil and Vitamin E are packed with reasons to use in an eye cream recipe.
- Different Uses for a Coconut
To say there are quite a few different use of a coconut is a huge understatement, there are hundreds of uses of this fruit of the Palm Tree. Every part of the coconut and the tree has a purpose.
More Hair Treats ~
- DIY Hair Treatments
Making your own hair treatments are easy to do and will be so much more beneficial for your hair and scalp. No more bad hair days when DIY treatments are in your cupboard and fridge, here are 9 treats
- How to Make Your Own Scented Hair Gel
To make your own scented hair gel could not be easier and requires only a few ingredients. Home made hair gel is cost effective, more healthy for your hair and may be scented by using your favorite essential oil. Read on for a few great recipes.
- How to Naturally Hide Gray Hair
Hiding gray hair is easily done by making your own hair colors or hair rinses. Love it or hate it, going gray is a fact of life we will all experience. If you prefer to hide it with color, then read on to find out how you can achieve it successfully.
Which homemade hair product interests you the most to make?
More on Oils N Fragrance ~
- Homemade Eau de Cologne For Men
Refreshing Eau de Cologne is easy to make at home with natural essential oils. Here I have 3 recipes for men that are inspired by the very first homemade Cologne so read on for recipes, tips and more!
- Homemade Sensual Solid Perfume Recipe For Women
Making your own sensual solid perfume is easily accomplished and will cost a fraction of designer perfumes. Homemade perfume with essential oils is an ideal signature fragrance recipe idea for women.
- Easy Homemade Perfume Recipes For Women
Women love perfume fragrance and being able to make your own homemade signature blend is easy with these simple recipes. Essential oils are natures own perfumes with additional therapeutic benefits.
- How to Use Essential Oils and a Base Oil to Make a D...
Knowing how to dilute essential oils with base oil is important. Widely used in beauty products and in Aromatherapy they have excellent therapeutic benefits to mind and body. Read on to learn more .
- How to Diffuse Essential Oils
Essential Oils have many beneficial uses when diffused into the air. There are a variety of ways in how to diffuse your favorite oils and introduce fragrance into your home, work space or car easily.
- Top 10 Carrier Oils for Homemade Beauty Products
Carrier Oils or base oils are present in the majority of homemade beauty products and are an essential ingredient to add. There are a large amount of carrier oils available so here is my top 10 list.
"Creating health awareness through homemade beauty solutions"
Author Info ~
Information on the author, her bio and full body of works available @ Suzie HQ
© 2013 Suzanne Ridgeway