How To Age Proof Your Face and Skin With the Right Beauty Routine
Simple tips for using a beauty routine
- Use your beauty routine for your 'me time' and nourish both body, mind and spirit as you cleanse and beautify your skin.
- Accept your skin, flaws and all. Each little imperfection is a beauty mark that makes you unique.
- Select skin care products that are age appropriate and right for your skin's current state. The products that worked on your skin in your twenties may not be effective post pregnancy or after menopause due to hormonal changes in your body.
- Experiment with many different kinds of cleansers and moisturizers until you are satisfied with the visible wrinkle reducing or skin toning results. Don't feel obligated to stay with the same beauty skin care products when they are not working.
- Go without cosmetics for awhile, at least when you are home to give your skin a rest and your pores a chance to breath.
- Be informed about the ingredients of your skin care products. Read labels. Do research. Talk to your dermatologist about the effects of all these chemicals on your face.
- Seek out natural and organic cleansers, toners and moisturizers to complete your beauty routine.
- Take care of all the skin on your body, not just your face. Your neck, chest, decollatage, stomach, legs and rear area skin need just as much attention if you want that skin to stay beautiful from all angles. Do a twice a week scrub or exfoliation to keep your skin baby smooth.
- Exfoliate your pores daily with a lightweight cleanser such as St. Ives.
- You're never too young to start taking care of your skin. The earlier you start, the less visible wrinkles and skin care damage you'll see as you age.
- Wear heavy SPF everyday to block out harmful rays that could damage your skin.
- Don't be afraid to seek professional skin care help for perfecting your skin. Most acne conditions or rosacea are easily treated by a dermatologist.
Tips for selecting the right beauty and skin care products
Your skin care products should:
- Make your skin feel new
- Help you feel in control of your skin's condition
- Be good for everyday use
- Contain all natural and botanical ingredients such as fruit extracts and aloe vera
- Baby your skin back to health with gentle, skin friendly ingredients
- Inspire you to take better care of your entire body
- Show visible results everytime and even after one use
- Prepare your skin for makeup
- Come with a dermatologist's recommendation
- Make your skin feel refreshed even in the heat of summer or cold of winter
- Hydrate, firm and tone and smooth your skin
- Contain no unnecessary chemicals or harsh ingredients that could damage skin
- Give you healthy, youthful looking skin
- Make you feel good about using it
Deciphering skin care product labels. What to look for
- 24 hour moisturizing feeling.
- Instantly radiant skin.
- Good testimonials from other women who have tried and enjoyed the product.
- All natural, no artificial chemicals. Botannical. Fruit extracts
- Enhanced by nature.
- Dermatologist recommended
- Allergy free
- Not tested on animals
- Pure and Natural
Update on Beauty (2018)
So many years later, I still find myself practicing many of these tips daily. One thing that I've found as I get older is that stress and tiredness really makes my skin look bad. I think that's probably true whatever age the woman, but especially in the 40's you notice skin doesn't just bounce back from too many late nights. I'm not sure if I included it here before, but using a vitamin E liquid under the eye is a good way to keep that fragile area wrinkle free (or at least soft) for much longer. Stop being a side sleeper as that causes those fine lines at side of eyes (if you rest on face). Also, I use minimal skin care products, one face product from Avon and also Noxema for cleansing and moisturizing. Staying out of the sun and hydrating well is my real secret now as I've long since stopped wearing make up.
© 2011 Beverly Johnson