Gold Jewelery: An Ancient Tradition in India. How to Clean Gold at Home?
Gold: An Ancient Tradition of India
Gold: An Age Old Tradition in India!
Do you possess some Gold jewelry of Your Grandmother?
What is the significance of Gold Jewelery in India?
Importance Of Gold Jewelry In India:
In India, wearing Gold is a tradition, and not just a fashion. It is considered auspicious to give Gold, in jewelery form or other forms, to wife, daughters, daughter-in-law, mother, sister and other close ones.
Mothers and mother-in-law give their blessings, along with some gold ornament.
Gold is passed on, from one generation, to the future generations.
A woman takes pride in showing off a jewelery, which has been passed on to her, from her mother, mother-in-law or even better-- grandparents.
I do possess jewelery, passed on from my grandmother, to my mother, who gave it to me, and I would give it to my daughter.
You may buy new ones, but the ancestral ornaments are the proudest possessions of the women in India.
Howsoever expensive this yellow metal may be, everyone tries to manage a piece or two, to gift to their loved ones.
How does Gold lose its shine?
Gold is a precious yellow metal. It otherwise maintains its shine, and does not lose its bright colour in air or water.
But due to following reasons it might lose its natural shine-----
1. Regular use,
2. Dust or dirt,
3. Perfumes, we use around the ornaments,
4. Any make up product, around your ornaments.
" Jewelery has the power to be this one little thing that can make you feel unique."— Jennie Kwon
Some Easy Methods to Clean the Gold jewelery at Home:
Here are some easy methods to follow, to get that shine back in your gold jewelery:
1. Take the jewelery in a bowl, with some soft soap and water solution or liquid soap and boil for 5 to 10 minutes.
Take the jewelery out and rinse with clean water.
Wipe with muslin cloth.
Note: If the gold jewelery is studded with some precious stones, do not try this method.
2. Soak your gold jewelery in warm water. Add liquid soap and a little soda water, which does not contain salt in it.
Leave for half an hour.
Take a soft toothbrush, and clean and rinse the piece of jewelery.
Wipe with tissue paper or muslin cloth.
3. You can also clean your gold jewelery with a paste of baking soda. Apply for 5 minutes and rub with a muslin cloth.
4. Beer is also useful to get that shine back on your ornaments.
Cleaning Gold jewelery, which have gem stones studded in them, requires a careful handling.
Do not soak them in water as they might lose their glue. Instead, clean with soft toothbrush and soap solution.
Wash and rinse and put them to dry, in such a way that the trapped water comes out.
Gold jewelry care, source: You tube
Do you clean and take care of your gold jewelry?
" I have too much jewelry " said no woman ever!!!— Author unknown
Interesting facts about Gold
- Gold is a chemical element.
- Melting point : 1064 degrees Celsius
- Chemical symbol : Au
- Atomic number: 79
- In it's purest form, it is a bright, yellow, Soft, malleable and ductile metal.
- Chemically, Gold is a transition metal, and a group 11 element.
- It is the least reactive metal, and therefore is wearable as ornaments on skin.
- Gold in it's purest form (24K) is usually alloyed with other base metals, to form jewelery.
- Those metals can be Copper, Silver and others, and the ornaments made with them, can be of 22K, 18K, 14K or 10K.
5 Easy Tips To Take Care of Gold Jewelery
Gold expresses love, blessings, style and of course affluence.
Whether you have bought it yourself, or someone else has gifted it to you, the gold ornaments must be taken care of properly.
To maintain its shine, periodical cleaning is required, which has been explained above. There are other precautions, which can maintain the shine and the brightness.
1. Store in individual boxes:
Always store in individual boxes meant for each piece. It will keep them scratch free. Keeping too many gold pieces together, might lead to constant rubbing and denting.
2. Avoid chlorine, acids and other chemicals:
While doing regular household jobs like cleaning, washing, dusting, it is wise to remove your gold jewellery. The water supplied at homes generally has chlorine in it, which spoils the shine of gold.
3. Remove jewelery in swimming pools:
Swimming pool water has excess of chlorine, so it is wise to remove your jeweldry before going for swimming. You might even lose the expensive jewelery in water.
4. Remove gold jewelery before workout:
It is very important to remove your gold jewelery before starting your exercise session. The sweat will take off the shine, from your precious possession.
5. Taking professional help:
There is always the option of going to a professional, if you see cracks or scratches or denting on your gold piece.
The Final word:
Gold is a form of expression---the expression of your love and blessings to your close ones. It can say so much more, than words.
Take care of your precious yellow metal, so that its shine and sparkle remains for a lifetime, and preserve some of them for future generations.
What is your favourite ornament?
Jewelry is something that has to do with emotion. That aspect of jewelry really interests me.
Gold jewellery designs, source: YouTube
© 2013 Chitrangada Sharan