- Fashion and Beauty»
- Skin Care
Sunless Tanning: How-To Give Yourself A Flawless Spray Tan
Safe Spray Instead Of Fake Bake Tan
A friend that I see during the hot season out by the lake said to me once,"Is that a 'fake bake?' She was commenting on my on my tan. As she progressed on her way to the house I thought about it. I had been tanning for a couple of years in tanning booths, but this time I used a spray tanner to achieve the same look. I called out to her,"No this is a 'safe spray.' I don't think she heard me but it did make me think about how I keep my golden glow.
I've been going to the tanning booth several times a week for quite awhile. Something's different now though. This year I'm hitting one of those birthdays that women don't like to think about, so I'm examining the things I do with regard to my health.
Moving from the "fake bake" to the "safe spray" is the first thing I'm doing to take better care of myself. I didn't want to do this before now because of the stigma that was always attached to self-tanners. It's different now. I even heard one of the female anchors for an evening entertainment show say that her tan came from a bottle just like the color for her hair. She was proud to make this type of statement on the air because she wanted everyone to know that she'd look just a great in years to come. She's right. Damage from the sun can add unwanted years to an otherwise young looking face, and or a body.
You'll want to do the following things to achieve your finished spray tan look:
- Moisturize all over for a few days prior to tanning.
- Shave the day of the tan.
- Loofa your skin with a moisturizing shower gel all over before you begin and towel dry.
- Dry anything that's still moist with a hair dryer.
- Place a cap over your hair exposing your whole face and ears.
- Put on surgical gloves.
- Use as fine a mist tanner as you can find. Micro mist is the best.
- Spray tanner in your gloved hand and rub it evenly on your face and neck, and ears.
- Hold the spray about 8" away from your skin and begin to spray back and forth strokes across the shoulder area in the front. Rub spray around the neck and shoulder area to blend.
- Hold the can upside down and reach behind your shoulders and spray back and forth down to the middle of your back.
- Spray tanner in you palm again and rub it on the front of your arm and move around to the back and inside of your arm. Rub tanner straight across the inner wrist area making sure to avoid the palms. Repeat for the other arm.
- Hold the can facing you and spray from the shoulders down to the base of your torso in a vertical motion. Start at the sides and move across to the other side.Keep the can moving at all times.
- Hold the can upside down behind your back and spray the bottom half of your back in a side to side motion.
- Again, hold the can upside down and spray circles around your rear to cover that area. Rub this in a little bit to blend with the thighs.
- Now, hold the can normally and start to spray from the top of your thigh down to your knee, moving around to the back on one side and then on the other. When your finished switch thighs.
- Next, spray from your knees down to your feet moving around the leg in the same manner as before. Switch legs.
- Spray tanner in your hand and rub over the top of your feet avoiding the bottoms. Only rub a small amount on your ankles and toes, and heels.
- The last thing you cover is your hands. Remove one glove and spread spray over the top of your hand only avoiding the webs of your fingers. Remove the other glove and spray into into it, and rub on the other hand.
- Make sure you dry completely. If necessary, use a hair dryer again to finish the job.
- Always try to hold the can back as to avoid any big dark spots.
- Keep the can moving whenever you're spraying.
- Try different tanners if you're not happy with the first one.
- If you find areas where the spray didn't cover, try it again the next day.