How To Wear Chunky Necklaces? - A Must Have Fashion Jewelry
Chunky necklaces are a "MUST HAVE" fashion jewelry for any season! And, I must add that they are the most versatile fashion accessory ever invented!
"The bigger, the better" seems to be the mantra among the Hollywood starlets as well! Here are the top two reasons as to why you should invest in a chunky necklace today.
- It adds instant glamour to any outfit, be it casual or formal.
- Has the power to make you look eyecatching with all the attention focused towards the sexy neckline of your attire.
More reasons for you to buy a Chunky Necklace....
- They are CHEAP! You don't have to shell out a fortune to buy one and look all glam! Yes, there are expensive options available but trust me, the cheaper ones look as bedazzling as their more expensive counterparts!
- It is an accessory which works well as a single piece of jewelry. Due to its sheer size, you really do not need to wear any other jewelry such as earrings or bracelets to compliment your look.
- It works as a great "third piece" in layering. You can even layer 2 - 3 necklaces, to add elegance and style to your ensemble.
- They are available in almost all shapes and sizes and colors.
So ladies, DON'T THINK TWICE....BUY ONE TODAY....You can never go wrong with this BIG, BOLD and BRILLIANT piece of jewelry!
Read on to find out more about these statement pieces...
Types of Chunky Necklaces
Chunky necklaces can be made up of a variety of materials such as beads (metal, acrylic, gemstone, plastic, wood, glass, ceramic etc.), shells, resin, glass pieces and semi precious stones. The material used for threading can be nylon, silver plated, gold plated or sterling silver.
Some common types of chunky necklaces are:
Cluster of Beads
Chunky necklaces of this type are made up of beaded strands. The beads can be made up of a variety of materials such as metal, plastic or wood.
They are available either as a single strand which can be worn twice or thrice around your neck to create layers or as multiple strands bunched together in a single necklace.
These types of necklaces contain different, colorful geometric shapes such as triangles, squares, circles, ellipses, cylinders, cones etc. The shapes are usually made out of painted plastic, metal or resin.
These types of necklaces usually contain large symbols such as flowers, animals and insects or other aboriginal inspired artwork.
Necklaces made out of more than one type of material fall under this category. For example, a single necklace may contain glass beads, resin or plastic geometric shapes and gemstones.
Chunky styles from Hollywood
The chunky necklace has surely taken the fashion industry and Hollywood by storm! More and more designers are tossing out new styles each day to keep pace with this trend.
So, if you want to adopt the "ooh-la-la" trends of your favorite Hollywood stars such as Kate Hudson, Sarah Jessica Parker, Sandra Bullock, Jessica Alba, Katy Perry and Hillary Duff, look out for these fabulous styles of chunky necklaces the next time you are out shopping!
It has a rather infantile name, but celebrities are certainly going ga-ga for this fashion piece that they call the bib necklace.
It is usually made up of shimmering glass beads, metals or faux pearls on a collar shaped base made out of fabric.
You can wear a bib necklace with a button down shirt for work or with a chic, strapless cocktail dress for the evening. You can also go casual and wear it as a single piece of jewelry with a t-shirt and a pair of jeans.
Olivia Palermo is known for her stylish Bib Necklaces, now you can copy her style at Zara!
Are you an art deco diva? Then you will love the retro style chunky necklaces with distinct geometric shapes.
Go retro with a pair of jeans, a graphic t-shirt, big sunglasses and the retro chunky necklace.
Kristen Bell's Vintage Retro Style Necklace
Tribal Inspired Necklace
If you are the diva who likes ethnic prints then the tribal inspired chunky necklace is just for you.
Inspired by aboriginal artwork, these necklaces are usually made out of large metal discs or similar tribal shapes or wooden beads.
A tribal chunky necklace would be too big to wear to work and would work best with casual ethnic prints or solids.
Rachel Bilson wearing a striking green and black Tribal Necklace
If you love wearing soft colors and floral prints then the oversized flower necklace might be best suited for you.
Chunky necklaces with flowers work best with white outfits, floral skirts and and beach dresses.
Sarah Jessica Parker wearing a Floral Necklace
Elegant Style Necklace
This type of chunky necklace belongs to the slightly upscale, expensive category and works best with that gorgeous evening gown, cocktail dress or the little black dress.
Elegant style necklaces are usually made up of semi precious stones such as agate, jasper, amethyst and turquoise, although you may find cheaper varieties made up of slightly less expensive materials.
Elegant necklaces can instantly transform a simple evening dress into a fashion statement with their bedazzled looks and embellished styles!
Hillary Duff wears a striking gold Elegant Style Necklace with her blue dress
More chunky styles from HollywoodClick thumbnail to view full-size
Some simple tips to follow while wearing Chunky Necklaces
- Avoid pairing a chunky necklace with other necklace styles as it may look too gaudy. A chunky necklace scores more points when worn on its own with an outfit. Although unnecessary, you can wear other jewelry such as earrings, rings and bracelets. But my advice would be to keep it simple and maybe just wear a pair of earrings with it, else the whole purpose of wearing a chunky necklace is lost!
- Avoid wearing cheap chunky necklaces (such as those made out of plastic) with formal or evening wear. Again, my recommendation here would be to invest in a few expensive ones, such as those made of out of semi precious or precious stones for the more formal occasions.
- Chunky necklaces do not work well with turtlenecks or blouses. It works best with open neck tops, t-shirts and dresses (crew, vee, scoop, strapless etc.).
- Keep your body frame in mind when shopping for a chunky necklace. If you have a short neck, avoid wearing very heavy necklaces which hug the neck as this may make you look bulky. Wear longer necklaces to focus the attention gracefully towards the upper half of your body. On the other hand, if you have a long neck adorn it with a heavy chunky necklace hugging the neck as this will make your neck look beautiful and slender.
So ditch those tiny and delicate pieces of jewelry and go "BOLD" with your new chunky look. You are surely going to make a few heads turn!
How to Layer Chunky Necklaces
More Hubs on Fashion
- Longer Hemlines? Spring - Summer 2011 Fashion Trend
Well, that is what it seems to be as demonstrated by the designers on the Spring 2011 runway! Minis have been ruling the runways for what seems to be forever now but here is a welcome change - Keep those minis...
- Different Ways To Wear A Scarf
SCARVES! The perfect fashion accessory to add instant glamor to your outfit. Fashionistas swear by the scarf and are always looking for new ways to wear them. So if you have been wondering what to do with that...
- Handbag Styles: Cheap Designer Handbags
Fashion today focuses a lot on accessorizing and handbags play an important role from that perspective. Choosing the right handbag can be a tough decision considering the different styles available in the...
- How to Layer Clothes? Ideas For Layering Clothing Stylishly
Layering your clothes is a great way to look chic and also keep up with the latest trends in fashion. That being said, it does not mean that you need to modify your entire wardrobe in order to look stylish!...
- How To Layer Clothes Using A "Third Piece"? Fashion Tips And Advice
A third piece is a piece of clothing or an accessory which can be worn with your existing outfit to enhance its overall look. I would call it a piece of layering garment or accessory. If you do not...