- Fashion and Beauty»
- Skin Care
How to Care for Your Feet - Cracked Skin On Feet
The skin on our feet is a lot more delicate than people might think. It can be easily damaged by exposing it too often to the air. Without proper care, skin at the heel of the feet will start to crack. This becomes a common problem, especially for people who don't wear socks or shoes that help to cover their heels. Age is also another factor as the skin starts losing its fat and moisture after the age of 30. That's why kids and young people don't have to deal with this problem unless the dryness is caused by other health issues. The good news is that the problem of cracked skin on heels can be addressed fairly easy and simple. It doesn't cost much either. What you'll need is a jar of Vaseline, a pair of socks, a container large enough for your feet and 20 - 30 minutes of your time. You can position yourself comfortably in front of a TV with your favorite program on.
How to Heal Cracked Heels - Step by Step Guide
You will need about 30 minutes to complete the following procedure. The best time to do it is before bed. But you can always do it anytime during the day as long as you have that 30 minutes. Just make sure you follow these steps:
- Pour 2 inches of warm water into a container that is large enough for your feet. You can also stir in 1/2 cup of salt because salty water helps soften the dead skin on your feet faster and kills bacteria and fungus that are hiding in your toenails too.
- Position yourself comfortably in a sitting position - you can watch TV, work on your laptop, or read your favorite magazine, book, or newspaper.
- Soak your feet in the warm water for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Use tools such as soft brush, pumice stone or sponge scrubber to gently slough off dead skin from your feet. Do not force the removal of all the dead skin if there are cracks and you feel hurt when you scrub them.
- Rinse and dry off your feet.
- Apply Vaseline, or 100% pure petroleum jelly generously. I personally find that Vaseline works best for cracked skin on your feet.
- Put on a pair of socks. Reapply Vaseline every 6 - 8 hours within the same day if possible.
- Repeat the above steps for a week and you will see a significant result. Continue all the steps as needed.
- To maintain the smoothness of your feet, put on lotion every time after you have clean your feet, and try to wear socks often during the day. This will help to keep your skin moist and prevent cracking in the future.