How to Create a Ribbon and Chain Necklace
Chain is bright and often shiny. It can be combined with pendants and beads to fill a multitude of fashion requirements. Sometimes, what is required is something softer with flowing tones that can only be accomplished with ribbon. Ribbon is soft and flexible. It comes in narrow and wide format, in wired and unwired forms. It can easily be manipulated into a variety of forms and it is very suited to weaving with large-linked chain. Ribbon comes in an endless variety of patterns, colours and textures to match any wardrobe and complement any chain style. Create a unique, soft, flowing necklace utilizing your favourite chain type and a ribbon style that matches your wardrobe taste! It is a fun and unique way to express your creativity.
Materials for a Ribbon and Chain Necklace
- 26 inches of large-holed chain
- 52 inches of ribbon
- 2 medium beads complementing the ribbon
- 3 smaller beads complementing the ribbon
- 1 eye pin
- 1 ball pin complementing the chain
- 4 small jump rings complementing the chain
- alligator clip or closure of choice
- round nose pliers
- chain nose pliers
- cutting pliers
Creating a Ribbon and Chain NecklaceClick thumbnail to view full-size
How to Make the Ribbon and Chain Necklace
- Measure a 26 inch length of wide link chain and cut using the cutting pliers.
- Measure a 52 inch length of ribbon.
- Starting at the fifth link on one side, weave the ribbon through every second link.
- Continue weaving the ribbon through the links in this manner until you have three or four links left.
- Tie off the ribbon at each end after adjusting the ribbon to your liking.
- Create a pendant by first threading a small bead, followed by two medium beads onto an eye pin and creating a loop.
- Thread the remaining two small beads one onto each ball pin and inserting the end of the ball pin into the loop of the three beads create a loop that attaches the ball pin/small bead to the three beads.
- Repeat for the second ball pin/small bead.
- Connect the bead pendant to the middle link of your necklace using two connected jump rings.
- Attach a jump ring to the second last link on one side.
- Attach an alligator closure to a jump ring and attach to the last link on the other side.
- Your Ribbon and Chain necklace with complementing pendant is finished.
Creating a ribbon and chain necklace is an easy hour to hour and a half project from planning stage to finished project. Ribbon can be purchased from a local craft store or your local dollar store. Ribbon and chain can be found to match any style you are seeking to create. Fun and whimsical ribbon can be purchased for the relaxed, casual affair. Shimmering, gauzy fabric is also readily available for the more formal look. Whatever the occasion, you are sure to be able to find a suitable match of ribbon to chain and likely at a bargain!
For More Detail on Adding Beads to Ball pins and Eyepins
- Instructions on How to Make Your Own Themed Charm Bracelet and Necklace
More detail in adding beaded components to necklaces!