- Fashion and Beauty»
- Makeup & Cosmetics
How to DePot Your Lipsticks and Lip Balms
Let's face it. Lipsticks take up a lot of room and create clutter. Not to mention the mess created if one of them happens to break inside the tube. There has to be a better way!
- Lipstick Tube
- An Empty Container, Pot, Jar, Cosmetic Pan, etc
- A Heat Source (Optional), Candle, Stove Top, Oven, Microwave, etc
- A Knife (Optional)
- A Toothpick (Optional), For scraping out the lipstick
- A Spoon or Other Small Metal Bowl or Cup (Optional)
- Select a lipstick and twist it all the way up.
- Remove the lipstick from the tube. Some will come free by gently tugging and wiggling the lipstick itself. Others will need to be cut out.
- If depotting into a small container, you may need to divide the lipstick into several parts. Take the knife and do this now.
- Place the lipstick into a metal spoon or measuring cup and place it over or inside your heat source. The lipstick should melt quickly, but don't allow it to boil.
- Transfer the melted lipstick into it's final container. Allow it to cool completely. You may place it in the fridge or freezer to speed up the process.
Lip Palette Making!
- You can also utilize a candle warmer to melt lipsticks in much the same fashion as a hair straightener.
- If you are careful and keep a close eye on it, you can melt several lipsticks at once in the oven on a low heat.
- The same can be said for microwave use, but make sure its a microwave safe container that won't melt or ruin your microwave.
- Any container will work for storing your newly depotted lipstick, but its best if the container has a lid.
- You may want to have some rubbing alcohol or other sanitizer to hand to avoid bacterial contamination.