How to Dress in a Modern Vintage, Rockabilly Fashion
Dressing in a Modern Vintage style is known as Rockabilly, Pin-up, Retro or Alternative Fashion. Each is a modern version of yester-year's fashions, with modern alterations and creations. Inspired by the designs and silhouettes of the 1920s to 1950s.
These types of fashion are currently enjoying a resurgence in popularity, particularly with the slightly askew and alternative. Girls take a further twist with vibrant hair colors and piercings, in many multiple areas.
Rockabilly is often intertwined with the tattoo world with both male and female having full tattooed sleeves (arm tattoos), chest and neck work done, often in the 'flash' style or old school genre. Males in particular are vintage car enthusiasts, with many vintage car show taking on an entire rockabilly style theme.
Often it's a total image overhaul when one becomes totally committed to a rockabilly lifestyle. Men will have beards and slicked back hair. The women, hairstyles and makeup that take hours to perfect and dresses that fit perfectly around the waist, accentuate the bust line and flare at the hips. Creating an hourglass effect.
The love affair many rockabilly people have with vintage items goes beyond the above mentioned. It can seep into their homes with vintage kitchens, furnishings and decorations. They also enjoy up-cycled, re-purposed and recycled items that they have either made themselves or brought off an Artist.
What to Wear to Dress in a Rockabilly Style
The basic clothing needed to dress in a Modern vintage style is always changing and evolving in styles, but the building blocks of a rockabilly wardrobe will always remain the same;
- TOPS - Feminine tops with tight waists and heart shaped necklines, showing tantalizing hints of cleavage. A lady's shoulders will often be on display, with capped sleeves or corsets.
- SKIRTS - Wiggle skirts that either brush just above or below the knee. As they are very tight fitting and cause the wearer to 'wiggle' when she walks.
- SWING DRESSES - Lovely patterned dresses with a cinched waist and flowing skirts that billow when the wearer twirls.
- PANTS - Cigarette pants in bold, block colors. They are high waited and highlight the hips. These are either full length or 3/4 long.
- SWIMSUITS / UNDERWEAR - High waists, fully covered swimsuits that support the body.
- SHOES - Platformed, open toed, elegant high heels are the most popular footwear. Although ballet flats with cute feminine highlights are also available.
- PATTERNS - Bold, bright colors often in blocks, but also patterned. Leopard prints and skulls are the sassy patterns. Nautical themes and stripes are also common.
Rockabilly Fashion Chart
Websites to search
- Tattoo Ideas and Designs for Your First Tattoo
Contemplating your first tattoo? Bit confused about what you need to know and overwhelmed with trying to find a tattoo idea. Some simple information to assist with finding & getting your first tattoo.
Even though Rockabilly has been influenced by fashion in the past, it is important to note for you wallet, that current rockabilly fashion is vintage inspired and are replicas not the original item.
Any product that is 20 years or older is classed as vintage and often commands a much higher price.
- How to Find a Good Tattoo Artist Anywhere in the Wor...
Not all Tattooists' can produce a decent tattoo. Learn the tips to make sure you don't end up with a dud tattoo. Read the How to find an amazing Tattoo Artist, that will give you your dream tattoo.