- Fashion and Beauty
How to Get Natural-Looking Hair Curls Without Using Heat
Learn how to get those big beautiful natural looking curls without all the damage and hassle of heat styling. Sometimes even after using fancy curling irons the curls still don't hold and fall flat in an hour or two. These methods will give you curls that will last all day long .
This is an old method that has been used for a long time. It works really well and you can sleep with the rags in because they are soft.
What you will need
- Ten to twenty rag strips (any soft cloth really)
- A brush
- Ponytail holder
What to do next
- Section your hair into a couple of sections.
- Tie off one section off to the side.
- Then take one strip of cloth and roll your hair around it until you get to the root.
- Then tie the rag so it does not come loose
- Repeat this process to the entire section.
- When finished do this to the second section.
- Now that you are finished you can sleep on them.
- In the morning untie the rags and you will have beautiful curls.
The tighter you wrap your hair the tighter the curl. Try not to tie the knots to tight or you will have a really hard time untying them in the morning.
This is an old method. The sock bun is a hair style all in itself so if you decide to wear this for a day you can just leave it on overnight and have long lasting curls the next day. I like to do two sock buns like princess Laya off of Star Wars and the next day I love the curls I get.
What you need
- One sock
- Hair tie
What to do
- First you will need to make a doughnut out of your sock.
- Take the sock and cut the tip off.
- Roll the sock up until it looks like a doughnut.
- Put your hair into a high pony tail
- Then move the doughnut toward the end of the pony.
- Loop your hair around the sock and tuck underneath.
- Now roll the sock back towards your head.
- Keep rolling until you can't roll it anymore.
- Now you should have a perfect sock bun
- Leave it in your hair over night.
- Unravel the bun in the morning.
- Go through curls with your hands.
To make the curls last even longer dampen your hair a little bit before putting your hair into the bun. To get maximum hold use some hairspray to make the curls last even longer and lock them into place.
The First One in This Video is the Best For Sock Bun Curls
Pin curls have been used since the forties to get those cute little spiral curls. You can also use this method to get bigger curls by winding bigger loops.
What you will need
- A whole lot of bobby pins
What to do next
- Grab a small section of your hair wined it into a loop.
- Pin the loop down to your head using two bobby pins.
It works best to use an X shape.
- Repeat this until all of your hair is in pinned up loops.
- Leave in overnight.
- Remove pins in the morning.
- Run your fingers through the curls to style them.
Try not to brush the curls this will make them fluff up into a frizzy mist.
I Thought This Video Was Really Helpful
This is a very common technique. You can braid your hair into one big braid, a side braid or two pigtail braids, even french braids. It all depends on the kind of curl you are looking for. I think the best style for over night is the side braid. If your braid is on the side you wont have to sleep on it. To get your hair to really take on the curly shape braid your hair while it is damp. What ever style you choose this classic method will give you pretty curls in a few hours.
No Heat Curlers
These are pretty simple to use you need to go and purchase the plastic rollers either at a grocery store or a beauty supply store.
You will need
What to do next
- You open the clip part
- Roll your hair around the sponge looking part.
- When you are done clip it closed again.
Repeat this process until all of your hair is in rollers some packages even come with directions. It may help to separate your hair into sections first. This will keep you from missing any hair.
For a little extra help try using curling serums. Dampen your hair with the serum before using any of the above techniques to help your hair really take on the shape of the curl. If you have a hard time getting your hair to curl or to hold a curl I would suggest using a serum for a little extra help.
- All of these methods work better when your hair is slightly damp.
- Putting some curling serum in your hair before any kind of curling will help the curls hold.
- Using hair spray will help lock the curls into place.
- Go through the curls with your fingers instead of a brush. The brush will make your hair poofy and frizzy.
- When ever you are rolling your hair around something how tight you roll it determines how tight the curl will be.
Some more of my work
- Tips on fixing damaged hair
Damaged hair can be tough to work with. These tips will get your hair back to being healthy, shiny and beautiful without having to take a trip to the salon. These tricks are easy, inexpensive and can be done at home with natural products.
- How to do the pin curls hair style
How to do pin curls. They are a great way to get beautiful curls with out causing as much damage to your hair. All you need is a comb wet hair and some bobby pins. This a fun way to style your hair.
- How to dye your hair blue without chemical dyes at h...
How to color your hair blue without harsh chemicals. These are some fun easy ways to get blue hair. All of the dyes are semi permanent and will fade out over time. These techniques are safe and will not cause much damage to your hair.
Some related pages
- Hair Care for waves and curls
A guide to caring for curly hair, keep those curls and waves conditioned and gorgeous! Advice on techniques, hair care products and styling curly hair.
- Vintage Curls Without Heat!
Want to curl your hair without heat, well try Vintage curls! This how to guide with pictures shows you how to curl your hair overnight!
- How to do Sock Bun Curls
How to Curl your hair without heat and over night with a sock! Sock bun curls guide and information with pictures