- Fashion and Beauty
How to Get Rid of Acne and Acne Scars: A Comprehensive Review of Treatments
Acne is a problem that many people have to deal with. The problem peaks in adolescence but it can continue to be an embarrassment for people well into their professional working years. Luckily there are a number of different options available to you for treating acne if this problem is one that you’ve had to deal with. Take a look through your options and work with a doctor to figure out the best skin care approach for you.
The most common method of treating acne is to take medication. This is most often a topical cream or lotion or soap that is applied to the skin. This medication may be over-the-counter or prescription.
· Popular Over-the-Counter Acne Medications. Go to your local drugstore and you will certainly discover that there are a number of different over the counter options for treating acne. It can be tough to decide which one is the right one. However, you can narrow down your choices by looking for two specific ingredients:
1. Salicylic Acid. This ingredient helps get rid of the dead skin on the surface layer and that causes easy renewal of fresh, clear skin.
2. Benzoyl Peroxide. This ingredient penetrates the skin and eliminates the bacteria that causes many acne problems.
· Popular Prescription Acne Medications. If you discover that you don’t get results that you like from OTC medication then you might want to try prescription medications for treating acne. Accutane, Retin A and Renova are all common acne medications. If you have very, very severe acne then your doctor may prescribe Isotretinoin.
The main thing to know about medication is that it varies in results. It may also have side effects. That’s why it’s important to consult a doctor about using it.
Laser Acne Treatments
Lasers are an increasingly common method of treating acne. However, this non-surgical method of treatment is designed less for people who need to get rid of existing acne and more for people who want to get rid of the scars from the acne that they suffered from in the past. This treatment may also be used to help people, even teenagers, who are suffering from severe forms of acne that aren’t responding to less intense forms of treatment. There are two things that the lasers are designed to do: eradicate acne-causing bacteria on and under the skin and damage the oil-producing glands that cause severe acne. The treatment is also designed to encourage collage growth to prevent and get rid of acne scars.
Other Options for Acne Scar Treatment
Lasers are just one solution for people who are most interested in getting rid of scars from acne. Some of the other treatments designed to eliminate and prevent acne scars include:
· Subcutaneous Incision. This treatment is generally used for a specific type of acne scarring called rolling scarring. This type of scars is noticeable because it has a rolling, wavy surface. The treatment works by anesthetizing the scar area and then inserting a needle under the skin to slice through the fibrous bands that make up the scar. Some bruising may occur with treatment; however it shouldn’t last longer than seven days and results tend to be permanent.
· Dermal Fillers. This is a more common treatment for acne scars used in medical spas around the nation. Dermal fillers are injected around the scar in order to create a smoother look around the area. Dermal fillers (think Botox) are temporary and therefore this solution requires upkeep.
· Microdermabrasion. This is a method of resurfacing your skin. It is done through a medical spa. The skin is essentially sanded down to remove scars. Multiple sessions are required for optimum results.
Alternative Acne Treatments
Many people don’t want to consider the most common treatments for acne. That could be because these treatments are invasive or because they use chemicals that can be harsh on the skin and rough on our environment. Don’t worry; if you don’t want to use the most common medical treatments to get rid of your acne then you can look at some alternative acne treatments instead. Alternative options include
· Herbal Remedies. This is a type of alternative treatment that uses herbs to cure the imbalances in the body that result in acne. There are several different herbal medications that you can purchase to apply to your skin. Look for products that use green tea and tea tree oil as these reportedly have the best results in terms of herbal cures. The drawback to this treatment is that it’s slow-acting. The benefit is that it is a natural cure.
· Various Home Remedies. There are several other home remedies, besides the use or herbs, that people try to treat acne. These may have varying results but are appealing if you’re interested in home-based natural cures.
· Other Natural Cures. There are other natural cures that are done by herbalists and natural doctors in your area. These may have better results since they are monitored by a professional.
These are the most common treatments that you’ll find for acne and acne scarring. The choice about what to use is really up to you. Take your time and think it through as some of these procedures are more invasive and dangerous than others. Work with a doctor rather than trying to solve acne problems on your own. That way you’ll get the best results with the least amount of long-term skin damage.
- Banishing Acne For Good
Through high school I was blessed with beautiful skin. On the rare occasion that I would get a zit, (usually something huge, red and horrible right in the middle of my face,) I would run crying to one of my...
- Hydrogen Peroxide - The Miracle Acne Emergency Solut...
Although I prefer to address the
- Natural Acne Solutions
Acne is a stubborn problem for which numerous creams, chemicals, and treatments exist. The sufferer can begin durations of antibiotics or slather their face with harsh, drying chemicals. These can work to...
- 5 Foods that cause acne
First I want to point out there are no foods that directly cause acne. Anyone telling you that don't know what they are talking about. Acne is caused by blood sugar problems (insulin resistance), chronic...
- Over the Counter Acne Scar Treatments
As if dealing with years of acne isn't insult enough, many people are left with acne scars from the trauma, leading to continued self-consciousness and embarassment. There are numerous solutions from...
- How to Get Rid of Acne Scars Tips
The skin condition known as acne, which is often most prevalent during the teenage years, can be extremely stressful and frustrating to deal with. But even more devastating are the acne scars on the face,...