- Fashion and Beauty»
- Fashion Accessories
How to Knit a Choker Necklace
Knitting is perhaps the easiest way to create cute and simple fashion accessories for yourself. You'll need a basic understanding of knitting to accomplish this simple accessory but once you cast on knitting it will be a breeze. Let your creativity flow and you'll have a fashionable alternative to a scarf in the winter or a simple homemade accessory for any day.
- knitting needles (6)
- tapestry needle
- beads or other embellishments
- Measure your neck to get an idea of how much length you'll need. Knit's stretch a bit so it's okay if the end result is a little smaller than the circumference of your neck.
- Cast on and create 6 stitches.
- Continue knitting until you have the desired length (probably somewhere in the realm of 50 rows).
- Finish the end by casting off and cut a short tail of excess yarn.
- Weave in the tails at either end into your choker with a tapestry needle.
- Cut a piece of ribbon so that it is longer than your knit section by 5 or more inches. (The wider the ribbon the longer you'll want it because wide ribbon is more difficult to tie.)
- Weave your ribbon through the knit section in even increments. Situate the ribbon so that there are even amounts free on either end. (This is to fasten the choker around your neck. More sophisticated fastening mechanisms can be used but ribbon is inexpensive and easy to attach to the yarn.)
- At this point you may be happy with your simple accessory but if you need more bling you can add it now. Use a needle and thread to sew beads, ribbons or other embellishments onto the choker.