How to Make Scented Body Spray out of Scented Lotion
Change of Use ~
One of the fascinating discoveries I have made with beauty products is being able to use them in different ways.
The purpose for which they are sold as may be changed, enhanced or simply pale in comparison to their hidden charms.
For example using an eye shadow and making a creme blush is easy. Using powder eye shadow as eyeliner or making a body spray out of a body lotion are more ways of using products differently to the way they are originally sold for.
Being able to have multi-use products are a great cost effective benefit which saves you time, money and extra clutter you don’t need.
There are products or even simple ingredients all around us in the home and garden which have more than one use.
Did you know there are at least eleven cleaning ideas with white vinegar?
Make a Scented Body Spray
Body Sprays and Lotions ~
A scented body lotion is a product I love, particularly in the warmer summer months and for travelling. For winter I favor the richer, heavier body creams such as homemade cocoa butter and jojoba. Body lotion keeps our skin well nourished, moisturized and soft without being overly oil.
Many lotions will have an SPF for protection against the sun’s harmful rays which is an important ingredient to check for when purchasing, unless you wear a separate sun block.
Body sprays are a lovely light product to use first thing in the morning, after a shower or even at night, it provides us with freshness, a light fragrance and a lovely tingling sensation to the skin. Instead of using a perfume or even a light cologne, why not use a body spray as it provides fragrance but in a more subtle way.
Used more liberally than traditional perfume, overusing is not recommended as it may lead to skin irritations and be overwhelming to others.
Making your own from your favorite scented lotion could not be easier or quicker and is an excellent way of layering your fragrance, just one of the ways to make your fragrance last longer.
Body Spray Containers
DIY Vanilla Body Mist
Scented Body Spray Recipe ~
You will need:
Empty spray bottle (recycle one or buy one)
Scented body lotion
Cold tap water (or bottle water)
- Fill your spray bottle with about a 1/3 full of body lotion.
- Pour to approximately ½ way with boiling water carefully.
- Fill to the top with cold tap water or bottle water.
- Apply the nozzle cap and give it a good shake to mix the spray evenly.
- You now have a body spray matching your body lotion!
Applying Body Spray ~
By making your own matching body spray from your existing body lotion you will extend the fragrance on the skin by applying these tips.
Apply directly after a shower or bath when the skin is warm and the pores are open.
First apply a light layer of body lotion, paying particular attention to the pulse points on the body.
Then at a distance of approximately 12 inches, spray a liberal amount of body spray.
Store your products out of direct sunlight in an upright position, preferably not in the bathroom where it has a moist atmosphere.
Fancy making your own scented body lotion?
No problem, here is a simple recipe that uses a baby lotion and two more ingredients.
Instead of working from scratch as I normally do for the entire recipe, I am showing how you can take a product such as baby lotion, tweak it and recreate it into another. What type of baby lotion is up to you.
Cheap dollar store (to keep costs down) or an organic lavender baby lotion which will be paraben free are two options in the spectrum of products and there are a wide scope of products to choose from.
An unscented organic or natural lotion instead of baby lotion. would work equally well.
Body Lotion Recipe ~
16 oz Baby Lotion
8 oz Vitamin E Cream
8 oz Coconut Oil (solid form)
80 Drops Essential Oil of Choice (optional)
Hand Held Electric Mixer
4 x 8 oz Screw Cap Lids and Jars (Mason jars are ideal or recycle jars making sure they are sterilized)
- Add the lotion, Vitamin E and coconut oil into the bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer until it is the consistency of icing.
- If adding essential oil, add drops now and mix gently with spatula.
- Mixture is enough for 4 jars so spoon into jars and screw on lid.
- If you wish to make into a pump dispenser check out How to make your own Mason jar dispenser.
Have you ever made a body spray?
Tips and Ideas ~
- Use organic ingredients if possible. You are using the purest natural form of product free of parabens, chemicals and synthetic fragrance.
With more commercial brands hitting the beauty counters and health food stores which look to Mother Nature and natural organic ingredients, the variety available today is growing. Ingredients are fascinating, be they in foods or skin cream.Just as there are certain “great” ones there are the “nasties” that are downright dangerous. Yes, dangerous so make sure to read ingredients and contents on labels.
- If you don’t want to have 4 jars, adjusting the quantities is easy.
- 1 jar = 4 oz baby lotion, 2 oz coconut oil and 2 oz of Vitamin E cream. Add 10-20 drops of essential oil if using it.
- Make 4 different fragrances. Lavender, Bergamot, Sandalwood and Rose are all favourites!
- Why not give these as a gift to friends or family?
Now you can use this scented body lotion and make your very own matching body spray, how cool is that?
Different Body Spray Recipes
Author Info ~
Information on the author, her bio and full body of works available @ Suzie HQ
Credit to homesteadbound ~
All dividers used in this hub are used with permission granted on hub, Creating Dividers to Use on Your Hubs