- Fashion and Beauty
How to Make Strawberry Scented Beauty and Cosmetic Products
Strawberry Fields Forever . . . .
The Strawberry . . . . Who would have thought the small juicy, aromatic, brightly colored lushness of the strawberry, would yield so many wonderful benefits to the body, both internally and externally, but it does!
This fruit is grown, loved and respected throughout the world and consumed in large quantities as a main ingredient in deserts, pies, milk-shakes, preserves and juices.
The scent of a strawberry is sweet, sticky and sometimes a bit sickly but the fresh aroma continues to be hugely popular throughout the Beauty and Cosmetic world.
Strawberries Ready for Picking
Strawberries usually have a very short window of opportunity or season in many countries. Normally ready for harvest spring to mid summer, they may only last 6-8 weeks and are still harvested by hand. The beauty with them is they are ideal to freeze for later use so no need to let them go to waste.
The garden strawberry originated in France in the late 18th century and up until then strawberries were growing in the wild, often known as woodland strawberries. The top countries in strawberry production are the USA followed by Turkey, Spain, Egypt and South Korea which demonstrates the global appeal through the different continents of this beneficial fruit.
Spa Treatments at Home
Nutritious and Delicious
Fresh and Wholesome
Health Benefits of Strawberries ~
- Rich in Vitamin C and B complex Vitamins
- Contains Vitamins A, E and K
- Rich source of Minerals
- Contains Antioxidants
- Rich in Flavonoids (gives the rich vibrant red colouring)
- Contains Fisetin an antioxidant being actively researched for its health benefits against Cancer, Inflammation, Aging, Neurological diseases and Viruses
- Low in Calories
- Purifies the blood
- Clears hoarseness of the voice, excellent for singers
- Relief for Gout and Rheumatism
- Lubricates the lungs
- Lessens alcohol hangover
- Strengthens the Spleen
Benefits When Applied to The Skin ~
- Rich in alpha-hydroxy acids (AHA)
- Anti Aging
- Lightens freckles
- Whitens the Skin
- Reduces under eye puffiness
- Effective acne treatment
- Tones the Skin
- Mild skin exfoliant
- Soothes sunburn
- Great hair conditioner treatment
Word of Caution: Do not use strawberries if you have an allergy or suspect an allergy. They are a common food allergy and caution should always be taken when applying fresh ingredients to the skin.
Scent of a Woman
Strawberry Scent ~
Known as the fruit of love and an aphrodisiac, the strawberry scent has been linked to alleviating depression and feelings of guilt.
More associations are the free love of the Woodstock and hippy era, self love and unconditional love.
The best variety for fragrance is the wild or wood strawberry ( Fragaria Vesca) which also has a more intense flavour than the garden strawberry. There are different ways to get Strawberry scent but the best way is to use fresh strawberries.
The therapeutic properties in essential oil or strawberry fragrance/essence are lost through the extraction process so the benefits are not guaranteed
Scent of Strawberry ~
Strawberry Essential Oil
Strawberry Fragrance Oil
Here is a selection of HEAD TO TOE beauty recipes using the delicious and seriously nutritious strawberry – Enjoy!
Fresh is Best
Strawberry,Yogurt and Oatmeal Face Mask
Strawberry Delight in a Bowl
Facial Beauty Recipes ~
Strawberries and Cream Face Pack (dry or sensitive skin):
5-6 large ripe strawberries
1 tsp double cream
2 drops Rose essential oil
- Mash strawberries up with a fork in a small bowl.
- Add cream and essential oil and mix gently.
- Apply to a cleansed face and neck avoiding the eye area.
- Relax for 15 minutes, remove with tepid water and pat skin dry.
- Apply facial moisturiser.
When relaxing why not lie down with a few strawberry slices under the eyes – excellent for reducing puffiness!
Strawberry Face Treatment (acne or blemishes):
½ cup strawberry slices
1 tbsp sour cream
- Mash strawberries in a bowl and mix in the sour cream.
- Apply to the face, avoiding the eye area and relax for 10 minutes.
- Rinse off in tepid water and pat the skin dry.
- Apply light moisturiser.
Strawberry and Yogurt Face Mask (oily skin):
2 tbsp mashed strawberries (approx 5-8 strawberries)
2 tbsp natural unsweetened yogurt
- Mix mashed strawberries and yogurt together and apply to face.
- Leave for 10 minutes and remove with tepid water.
- Pat the face dry.
- Apply your normal moisturiser.
If making for a few people just remember equal parts of each ingredient.
Use Strawberry Essential Oil instead of Sandalwood ~
- How to Make Your Own Sandalwood Bath Salts
Sandalwood Bath Salts are so easy to make at home. They take little or no time in making, are using natural ingredients and smell gorgeous. Sandalwood is a rich, warm woody scent suitable for men and women who enjoy a long leisurely soak in the bath.
Homemade Strawberry Body Scrub
Body Beauty Recipes ~
Strawberry Tooth Whitener:
Simply apply crushed fresh strawberry pulp to the teeth and rub in to clean teeth and remove stains.
Have some dental floss handy for any seeds caught!
Strawberry Hair Mask:
1 tbsp mayonnaise
- Mash strawberries with a fork in a bowl and add mayonnaise.
- Mix well and apply to damp hair.
- Cover with a shower cap and or a towel.
- Leave for 10 minutes.
- Rinse off and shampoo hair as normal.
This gives wonderful glossy, soft and conditioned hair.
Strawberry Foot Scrub:
7-8 large ripe strawberries
2 tbsp Epsom salt
3 tbsp olive oil
- Have a plastic basin full of warm water ready to use in removing the scrub.
- Mash up strawberries with a fork in a bowl.
- Add salt and olive oil.
- Mix together but do not over blend. If consistency is too watery, add some salt a little at a time until paste like.
- Use immediately by massaging in around the feet and toes paying particular attention to hard skin.
- Rinse off in basin.
- Apply foot cream.
Different salts may be used such as kosher salt, sea salt and Himalayan rock salt.
The Little Berry that Packs a Punch of Beauty Goodness ~
Homemade products scented with strawberries are very easy to make and can make great ideas as gifts for any occasion. A home cottage industry, having a girl’s night in for head to toe pampering or as a novel idea for your teens birthday party, are some great ideas for using strawberries in beauty products.
Strawberries ARE the total package so enjoy trying them out in your DIY beauty products.
"Creating health awareness through homemade beauty solutions"
Author Info ~
Information on the author, her bio and full body of works @ Suzie HQ
Credit to homesteadbound ~
All dividers used in this hub are used with permission granted on hub, Creating Dividers to Use on Your Hubs