- Fashion and Beauty»
- Women's Fashion & Clothing Styles
How to Make a Cute Wrap Dress
I love to create my own clothing and fashions (though it's debatable if I'm any good at it haha). I tae a lot of my inspiration from things I find on the internet and when I find things that are particularly cool I absolutely love to share them with others. Since it's warming up I wanted to share some dress tutorials, so here are some ways to make your own wrap, faux wrap, and infinity dresses. Many of these dresses are perfect for warm weather, but they work just as well in autumn and with layers for the cold seasons as well.
Wrap dresses are dresses that fasten together by wrapping one part of the dress over the other. Faux wrap dresses are dresses that look wrapped but are actually completely fastened together. Convertible or Infinity dresses are a kind of wrap dress that can be folded in different ways to create an "infinite" variety of looks, making them the perfect item for someone trying to build up their wardrobe on a budget (like me!).
I've divided them up by Sewn and Non-Sew, so if you don't have a sewing machine or know how to sew you can still create some adorable looks. I would suggest that even if you don't know how to sew you still look at the sewn dresses as well because I offer some tips on how you can make them without sewing and you may think of ideas to do it yourself.
Hope you enjoy!
Summer Dresses Using a Sarong
One Shoulder Wrap Dress
No-Sew Wrap Dresses
Here are some ways you can create a wrap dress without sewing. These methods are particularly useful when you need a cute cover-up for the beach or pool and don't want to just wrap up in a towel or shawl.
- Here are some cute ways you can make wrap dresses and cover-ups without needing to know how to sew.
- This simple no-sew wrap can be worn several different ways as a dress, a cardigan/vest type cover-up, or a scarf.
- Here's a variation of the no-sew wrap above. It's triangular shape gives you some different looks to play with.
- Here's yet another variation that is rounded for even more looks.
Simple DIY Wrap Dress
Color Block Wrap Dress
Classic Wrap Dress for Experienced Sewers
How to Sew a Wrap Dress
Here are someways you can sew a wrap dress that will be the perfect fit for you.
- This is my favorite wrap dress so far and the first one I'm going to try out. This simple wrap cover-up is perfect for the beach or pool. I plan on making a few to rock with all summer!
- Diary of a Mad Crafter took this dress a step further by making it floor length, so if you're into maxi dresses, check out this tutorial as well.
- Here's a pretty step-by-step photo tutorial on how to sew a wrap dress similar to the ones in the videos and above. I thought it would be nice to include to make things a bit more clear.
- Here's a written walk-through on how to sew a floor length wrap dress that's a bit different from the ones above and the videos I've posted. It's super pretty and I love the colour she chose to make it!
- For a finished dress you don't need to wrap any special way check out this tutorial on how to sew a faux wrap dress.
- This wrap skirt can be worn as a skirt and also as a dress. Check out the ways to wear wrap dresses below to see all the different ways you can wear it.
- If you're having trouble figuring out how to make these take a look at this post which may clarify some things for you.
Wearing a Wrap Dress
Here are some different ways you can wear your wrap dresses.
21 Ways to Wear an Infinity Dress
Various Types of Wrap Dresses
More DIY Fashion
If you're interested in trying out some more DIY fashion projects check out my board on Pinterest, DIY Fashion Inspiration.
If you know of any wrap dress tutorials that I didn't include here please feel free to share below! I'd also love to know if you tried any of these tutorials yourself and how they turned out.