How to Rock the Minimal/Minimalist Look
The sleek, modern look of NYC fashionistas is simple, yet polished. Whether you're a fashion-savvy teen, or a 30-something-year-old mother, the "minimal" look is easy to achieve with a few key essentials.
- Dark Skinny Jeans. I can't stress this enough. Dark skinnies not only slim your frame, but they work with every graphic top that minimalistas are known to wear. Plus, you can dress them up or down, just by changing your top and shoes.
- Bright accessories. Minimalists are often seen wearing monotone outfits with a single pop of color. If you routinely wear a simple black shirt and black skinnies, you can drastically change your look just by altering the color(s) of you accessories. You can even experiment with two accent colors. However, I wouldn't recommend any more than two unique colors because it might ruin the simplistic look you are going for. Try pairing a simple outfit with colored oxfords, scarves, necklaces, bangles, handbags, or high heels.
- Delicate jewelry. If wearing an extra piece of jewelry other than the accent piece of jewelry, opt for delicate, silver jewelry. Make sure it's very thin and almost unnoticeable.
- Loose tops with graphic patterns. Likewise, you can pair dark skinnies with countless bright, graphic tops. No one will recognize you are wearing the same pants, because your outfit will look unique each day! At Forever 21 you can find countless (cheap) baggy tops with unique prints. Minimalists often wear flowy, color-blocked tops. So chic.
- Bright blazer(s). You can never go wrong with a brightly-colored blazer. They instantly make a minimalist outfit more dressy. I would pair a bright blazer with dark skinny jeans and a eye-catching pair of stilettos. Keep hair and makeup minimal though because you don't want to detract the attention from your bright jacket and heels.
- Black liquid eyeliner and mascara. Minimalistas keep their makeup very simple. They accent their fresh, clear skin with a swipe of black liquid eyeliner and a dab of black mascara. Once again, you don't want to take the attention away from the bold accents in your outfit.
- Bold lipstick. When minimalists experiment with their makeup, they do so with eye-catching shades of lipstick. Bright corals, deep reds, and rosy pinks can serve as an accent to a simple outfit. MAC Cosmetics has a billion shades of lipstick to try.
Like their clothing, the hair of a minimalista is usually a simple cut and a solid color. They don't over style their hair, so they manage to keep it healthy and shiny. You can part your hair either to the side or the middle, it is your preference. A perfect example of a minimalist hairstyle is Leigh Lezark's chic, black cut. It's simple yet polished.