- Fashion and Beauty»
- Bath, Shower & Spa Treatments & Products
How to Take a Perfect Mineral Bath
Mineral baths are very relaxing, healing and nourishing. Hot springs are high in minerals and have been known of their healing benefits for centuries. People travel for thousands of miles to bath in the nutrient-rich salts of the dead sea. Today, we are fortunate enough to make our own mineral baths at home without having to travel thousands of miles.
Mineral Bath Benefits
When you take a mineral bath, the minerals are absorbed through the skin. The main ingredient in your mineral bath is going to be sea salts. Though any sea salt will do that job, Dead Sea salts have the highest concentration of minerals and nutrients. Dead Sea salts contain chloride, bromide, magnesium, sodium, calcium and potassium.
In addition to adding sea salt to your bath you can also add baking soda and Epsom salt. Baking soda reduces inflammation, soothes and helps balance pH. It can be a great benefit in relieving itchy skin. Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate. It hydrates and relaxes. When magnesium is absorbed in the body, it creates serotonin, a mood elevating hormone. Epsom salt helps relieve muscle cramps and aches is often used as a soak for athletes. In addition, Epsom salt helps to eliminate toxins from the body.
When you combine sea salt, baking soda and Epsom salt, you will have a cleansing, detoxifying and relaxing effect.
Recipe for the Perfect Mineral Bath
This recipe will yield more than one bath. Use about 1/2-1 cup mixture per bath and store the rest in an airtight container. Separate the mixture into mini-jars for a cute, fun and original gift!
Mineral Bath Recipe
- 2 cups Epsom salt
- 1 cup sea salt (Dead Sea salt preferred but not necessary)
- 1 cup baking soda
- 2 cups dry milk (optional, but will help to hydrate and exfoliate skin)
- Essential Oil of choice (optional)
Mix all the ingredients, except for the essential oil, under warm running bathwater. Be careful to not get the bath too hot. Mix the ingredients in the tub by hand. After the water has run, add a few drops of essential oil if you choose. I enjoy lavender, there are lots of others to choose from. I
Though the other ingredients in this recipe don't spoil, be aware of the expiration date on the milk if you choose to use it. You may also skip the dry milk, store the salt mixture and add a couple cups of regular milk to your bath as you go. Be sure to choose full-fat varieties to get the full benefits.
Soak for at least 15 minutes.
Sea Salts for Your Mineral Bath
Tips for the Perfect Mineral Bath
Now that you know the benefits of taking a mineral bath and the perfect recipe, it's time to put it all together and enjoy. Here are some extra tips to make your bath time experience extra special:
- Give yourself at least 30 minutes where you won't be disturbed or interrupted. Decide that during this time, you are going to let go of any stress or worry you might have. All your chores, errands and work will always be there bothering you if you let them. This is time for you to let go and completely indulge yourself. After all, you've earned it!
- Get out of the tub slowly and carefully. Laying in warm water for a while may cause you to be a little lightheaded when you stand up, so take your time.
- Dim the lights and use candles for your lighting. Floating candles feel extra luxurious. The softer lighting will make it easier for you to relax than the usually harsh bathroom lighting.
- Experts believe that if you soak in your mineral bath 3 times a week (even if you just use Epsom salt as the only ingredient), that you will see improved mood and energy, less muscle and joint pain (if you suffer from this), reduced inflammation, improved blood circulation and improved muscle and nerve function.
- Don't use soap in your bath as it may throw off the balance and effectiveness of the minerals in your bath.
Taking the time to treat yourself and use this simple recipe will ensure that you have the perfect mineral bath. Enjoy!