How to Teach a Young Man to Shave For the First Time
There are many times when single parents are faced with the dilemma of teaching the opposite sex child some basics of life that they will have to acquire. A single dad may have to learn all about pigtails and braids, talking to a daughter about periods, and helping her to select her first bra. These can be daunting occasions for some fathers who are alone.
Single moms have a similar situation: how to teach a son about puberty, hormones, girls and simple tasks like shaving. If you are a woman who has no older brothers, no close male friends and no friendly he-man neighbors what are you to do?
Resources about shaving hair
First, I believe it is rare, under normal circumstances, that a person has no one to turn to. But, there are situations in which this occurs. In this day and age our technical support team is a great start. When my nephew, now 17, had his eighth grade commencement he wore a suit and tie. I had to figure out how to tie it and teach it back to him. My resource: the internet.
By turning to ‘Google’ I was able to select the visual aid that assisted me the most in understanding the twists of the knots and practicing it. When it comes to the ‘first shave’ ritual, I would suggest that moms take a peek at what videos are available on YouTube or other sites. It is amazing how much one can learn by turning to this resource.
Boys love to practice shaving
Daddy Role Models
Little boys love to emulate their fathers in every way. Watching dad shave, and later pretending to shave, is part of the development of young males. I have a wonderful memory of my oldest grandson, Marco, receiving his first ‘shaving kit’ one Christmas when he was six. He could not wait to try it out.
The first shave is actually a ritual and one that should ideally be shared between father and son. That is what memories are made of. But, with the number of absent parents, (both moms and dads), that is not always the case.
When my nephew had grown sufficient facial hair for me to no longer ignore, I sent a good friend in to help with his first shave. And, what was my role? I acted as witness and recorder-I took the photos of the event. The men, young and old alike, were tolerant of me and my camera.
How to Shave: Steps 1-3
So, how to teach a young man how to shave for the first time? These are the steps I would recommend:
1. Provide a man’s razor. Ladies, don’t give your son a pink handled razor and expect him to be happy using it. It’s humiliating enough that you are standing in the bathroom with him without stripping him of his dignity further by handing him a girl’s razor.
2. Buy shaving cream. Again, do not hand over a product that you are using-keep those girly things out of sight from his first experience. Shaving cream is recommended over soap. There are several reasons for this, primarily-it dries quickly on the skin and does not act as a lubricant.
3. Instruct your son to place a warm, moist washcloth over his face where he will shave. As seen in the old 'barber shop' scenes in movies, and suggested by hubber Stevennix2001, it provides a smoother shave. Then, have him lather his face well. Shaving cream should cover the facial hair liberally-under the nose, around the jaw, up the cheekbones, etc, etc.
A Teen's First Shave
The Final Touch to a First shave for a teen
How to Shave Steps 4-5
4. Give your son plenty of encouragement and keep the criticism out of your voice. This is not the time to make the young man any more nervous handling a razor to his sensitive skin. Comments about the mess in the bathroom, ruining your clean towel, etc, need to be tabled. There is nothing in the room that cannot be replaced-unless it is the previously mentioned nose.
5. Some men like to splash a little aftershave or cologne to their cheeks for a refreshing end. This decision will have to be up to your son. But, it is a wise woman that teaches less is more.