- Fashion and Beauty»
How to be Chic - 10 easy ways to become more chic.
How to be Chic
There are many chic women in the world, some famous such as Chic Icon Audrey Hepburn, others not so famous.
You have probably met one of these chic women, admired her style and perhaps even tried to copy her, but always failing to pull it off.
The problem is, they all exude a certain "Je ne sais quoi", an elusive "something" that is so hard to pin down?
I believe is starts from inside, Chic women have a believe in themselves and a commitment to learning how to become their bestselves and the discipline to apply what they learn.
I believe that every woman can be Chic if she puts her mind to it, and is committed to becoming her best self, her Chic self.
If you would like to learn How to be Chic, read on...........
In order to start becoming more Chic, we need to understand exactly what Chic is.
How do you define chic? Where on earth do you start to define that elusive something that some women have and others do not?
An easy place to start is with a dictionary definition of Chic:
Chic: A person who is classy and sophisticated in both dress and manner.
The word Chic was first used in France in 1856 and probably derives from the German word Schick, which means skill, fitness, elegance and finess.
A chic woman is always elegant and attractive in her appearance.
She looks smart, clean and well groomed
- Her clothes are usually simple, modest, well fitting and stylish.
- Has good manners, is always classy without being a pushover or being flashy.
- Intelligent, with a fun sense of humour and a genuine enjoyment of life.
- Has an aura of quiet confidence and self-belief.
How to dress like Chic Parisian Women
- Minimalist wardrobe for women - How to create a mini...
How to create a minimalist wardrobe for women using the secrets of chic French Parisian women. Learn which basic clothing items are essential and how to accessorise to make your minimalist wardrobe stylish.
Commit to being Chic
Being chic is an ongoing journey of personal development that occurs both inside and out.
Start by trying to understand why you want to be chic. Do you want to just wear stylish clothes? If so you will probably enjoy my article How to dress like Chic Parisian women.
Or are you wanting to take control of your life, make Chic choices and therefore change it for the better?
Being Chic is about making Chic choices
Being Chic is all about making choices. When ever you are faced with making a decision, think about which option is the Chicest and go with that one.
- Do you choose a Fast Food Burger and fries for lunch or a healthy homemade sandwich?
- Do you spend your evenings slumped in front of the TV, or pursue an interesting hobby?
- Do you date the man who treats you like a lady or the man who treats you badly?
What is your age? I am interested in finding out the age of women who would like to be Chic.
The advantages of being Chic and living a Chic life.
There are definite advantages in choosing to be Chic and living a Chic life. Not only will you see improvements in your personal style and grooming, you will also see improvements in your health, finances, relationships, career, home, posture, inner confidence and state of mind as well as developed a zest for and interest in life.
So if you would like to know How to Be Chic, how to make Chic Choices and how to enjoy the benefits that being Chic brings, follow the 10 easy ways to becoming Chic below.
Easy Way No. 1 - Chic Hairstyles
Lets start with an easy one first.
The quickest and easiest way to start obtaining that elusive chicness is to choose a chic hairstyle.
Chic hairstyles are usually clean and healthy looking, simple in style and natural in colour. They are usually also femenine and elegant. Examples of chic hairstyles are as follows:
- A bob - which can be chin length or shoulder length
- A chignon
- A Ponytail
Many chic French women like a shoulder length bob style as it can be worn up in a variety of styles or worn down and long.
Once you have adopted a new chic hairstyle, keep it looking its best by regularly washing your hair and using a good conditioner. Have it trimmed regularly to keep it in shape and avoid split ends.
I love going to the hairdressers. My current chic hairstyle is a shoulder length bob and I always feel so chic when my hair has been washed, conditioned, trimmed and blow dried into chic perfection. When my hair looks fabulous, I feel great.
Easy Way No. 2 - Chic Posture
Another easy way to becoming more Chic.
Having good posture when standing, walking and sitting is important if you want to become chic.
I have noticed that all of the chic women I meet have good posture, and on enquiring usually find that as a child they attended ballet classes. Ballet is a great way to developed an inner poise or balance, as is Yoga.
Another good way to start improving your posture is as follows:
- Posture when standing and walking: Stand up straight, pull your shoulders down and back, your stomach in, your chin up and your head held high. It will feel strange at first but after a while it will become second nature.
- Some women have even gone as far as walking with a pile of heavy books on their head. This does teach you to straighten your body out, and walk slowly and elegantly.
- Posture when sitting: When sitting at a dinner table it is chic to sit up straight. When sitting on a chair at a desk or an armchair in your living room, again try to sit up straight and instead of crossing your legs at the knee, cross them at the ankle.
Chic posture is not stiff and formal, it is relaxed and easy going. So, once you have achieved a good posture when you are standing, walking or sitting, let yourself relax slightly. You will look and feel a lot more relaxed but still have good posture and be chic.
Who is your Chic Icon?
Easy Way No. 3 - Chic Health
If you think about all the chic and elegant women that you know, they are probably all healthy and slim, with an inner vitality and glow.
Chic women value their health and look after themselves. When faced with a decision related to their health, they make the Chic Choice.
You may already be happy with your health and the way that you eat and exercise, but if not or you are interested in a few more tips, you may like to read about more ways to Chic health.
Chic health involves:
- Cooking and Eating Healthily - At the least try to eat three healthy balanced meals a day, preferably home cooked using fresh ingredients. Real food is delicious and much healthier than fast or processed food.
- If you can't cook, take the time to learn. Try out a new recipe a few times and once you have mastered it move on to trying out another one. Find your signature dish, the one dish that is chic and sensational, that you cook when you invite friends and family around.
- Make eating an occasion - eating at the dining table is more chic than eating on the sofa in front of the tv.
- Eat slowly so your brain has time to process the fact that you are eating and enjoy every mouthful. Stop when your body tells you it has had enough.
- Learn how to maintain or reduce a healthy weight through portion control. I eat three medium sized healthy meals a day and my weight remains stable. Like most women, my weight tends to go up a bit after Christmas or a vacation, so for a few days or weeks afterwards, I reduce the amount on my plate until it drops back to the previous level.
- If you need to lose a lot of weight join a programme that shows you how to cook and eat healthily .
- Enjoy the world of food. I love cooking and exploring small ethnic food shops and delicatessants for unusual food and ingredients.
- Drink fresh water regularly throughout the day. It is good for your body and also hydrates your skin. A small bottle of sparkling mineral water is tres chic, but a cheaper alternative is tap water in a pretty glass.
- Try to avoid drinking too much alcohol and caffeine, both of which are dehydrating and it isn't chic to be drunk.
- Regular exercise. Regular exercise is good for both mental and physical health. Try to find a form of exercise that you enjoy. Other ways to get more exercise include adding more ways of walking, for example, taking the stairs instead of the lift or escalator
- Rest and Relaxation. Have enough sleep each night and set aside time each day or week to relax and recuperate.
Easy Way No. 4 - Chic Attitude, Gratitude and Intelligence
Easy Way No. 4 is about our innerselves, our inner choices and our general approach to life.
Chic women know that they are in control of their attitude. Chic women try to maintain a kind, positive and helpful attitude whenever possible. They try to make the best of life and enjoy it, and be happy. They realise that no-one else is responsible for their happiness. They realise that they alone are responsible for creating their own lives.
Gratitude is important. Be grateful for what you have right now. It may not seem such a lot to you at the moment but it is probably a lot more than many people in the world have. A chic woman knows that it is important to be grateful for what she has right now and looks after it.
Chic women learn to appreciate the free things in life and is grateful for them - a walk in the park, reading a book borrowed from the library, a visit to a free local museum or art gallery or a telephone call catching up with a dear friend.
- Intelligence - Feed your mind
A chic woman feeds her mind as well as her body. She takes an interest in current affairs, regularly reads a quality newspaper and cultivates a cultured mind by reading interesting books or visiting a museum, art gallery, concert or theatre.
Easy Way No. 5 - Chic Grooming and Make-up
Chic women are usually well groomed and wear a small amount of make-up. It doesn't take a lot of effort to look well groomed if you regularly do the following:
- Hands and Nails - Keep nails shortish, with a rounded shape on the tip. Add a coat of clear nail varnish to make them look well cared for. Use handcream to make your hands look silky soft.
If you are lucky enough to have nicely shaped nails, you may like to enhance them with a French manicure or a neutral or red nail varnish.
Skincare - Make sure your skin is clean and use a moisturiser everyday, preferably one which contains sun protection.
- For younger women, treat spots with a product such as Clearasil and then gently dab on some foundation or concealer to cover it.
- If you are an older woman (40 plus) you may like to try a facial as a special treat for your skin
Make-up - Chic women wear a make-up look that is very natural, with a barely there look. If you would like to learn how to achieve this look I would recommend that you go to a department store and ask if you can have a free make-over and explain that you are trying to achieve a chic and natural "No Make-up Look" and watch how they do it.
So after moisturising, start with a thin layer of foundation that matches the colour of your skin and use it to even out your skin tone. Add a dusting of powder to set it and take away shine.
Then apply the make-up - a neutral coloured eyeshadow to shade in the eye socket area, a neutral coloured eyeliner to line the outer third of the lower lid and the outer 2/3rds of the upper lid, with a cotton bud, smudge to soften the line. Apply mascara in black or brown, a sweep of blusher and a natural or neutral coloured lipstick. For a dash of french chic, use red lipstick.
Eyebrows - The eyebrows frame your eyes and having them professionally waxed or threaded is an easy way to instantly make your appearance more chic.
Teeth - Make sure your teeth are as clean as possible and that your breath is fresh.
Surplus hair - To ensure you look chic and well groomed remove any surplus hair from areas such as the upper lips and chin.
Perfume - Finish off your grooming with a spray of gorgeous and classy perfume. Spray the perfume into the air and walk through the mist for an all over body coverage. For daytime a light floral or light "green" perfume is appropriate. Avoid anything fruity or musky or too overpowering. For evening, a heavier perfume containing woody notes such as sandalwood and amber is nice.
Easy Way No. 6 - Chic Clothing
Chic clothing is often simple, classic, modest in style, in natural fabrics and neutral colours. Examples of chic clothing include the LBD - Little Black Dress
I have written another article on Hubpages, which can show you how to create a small but stylish wardrobe of Chic clothing that will help you become more Chic.
I also have a Chic clothing blog which you may like to read and follow:
A chic woman often owns a small but stylish wardrobe based around basic styles in neutral colours and uses accessories to jazz up an outfit and make it really Chic.
Chic Accessories can include:
- Shoes and Boots
- Sexy Underwear
Don't forget to add some sexy underwear to really make you feel Chic.
I have already written some articles on Hubpages about Chic Accessories such as scarves and ideas on ways to wear them stylishly. You may like to read them, they are as follows:
- The minimalist shoe wardrobe - the only shoes women ...
There are certain shoes that every women needs to own. They help her look Chic and Stylish and ensure she has something to wear whatever the occasion.
- How to tie and wear a long rectangular / oblong scar...
Looking for ways to tie and wear a long rectangular / oblong scarf? Scarves are a great way to brighten up your outfit. Read on to learn how to tie and wear long silk or wool scarves in a myriad of different ways.
- Different ways to tie and wear a silk square scarf
How to tie and wear square silk scarves in different ways Square silk scarves are classic, chic and ladylike. They can look beautiful and stylish if you know how to wear them. According to scarf...
Easy Way No. 7 - Chic Relationships
The late great Audrey Hepburn, for me the ultimate Chic icon, was known not only for her great sense of style but also for her kindness. Apparently her mother taught her that "I" is boring and that she should consider others at all times. She treated everyone she met with kindness and as a result was greatly loved.
- Treat others kindly: Remember the golden rule "Treat others how you would wish to be treated". Be kind to others. If you can't say anything nice about a person, it is best to say nothing at all.
- Cultivate Supportive Relationships: Make friends with the other chic women in your life. Be supportive of other people and build them up rather than pull them down.
- Learn how to be assertive: Being assertive does not mean being aggressive. When you have a disagreement with someone, it means communicating your thoughts and feelings to that person in a clear and calm way.
- Learn how to say "No": It is ok to say no to another persons request of you to do something for them. If you are unable or unwilling to do something, just say no. You don't even have to give a reason.
- When defining elegance, Coco Chanel is known for saying "Elegance is refusal". Although she was probably refering to designing clothes, her definition can also be applied to life and relationships. If you want an elegant life, sometimes you have to say "NO".
- Avoid abusive relationships: Chic women are knowledgeable about the nature and dangers of abusive relationships and avoid getting involved with anyone who doesn't respect them, takes advantage of their good nature or tries to control them through physical, mental or emotional abuse.
Easy Way No. 8 - Chic Finances
Chic women try to manage their money well and even though many young chic women start out in life with very little money, a chic woman aims to gradually increase her wealth throughout her lifetime, with the eventual result of achieving financial independence. Through careful money management she aims to own assets that generate enough income to pay her living expenses and be financially free.
Whilst I am not a Financial Advisor, there are certain common sense money rules and principles that we are all familiar with that I am sure many Chic women follow. They are:
- Making the choice to become wealthy - If you want to become wealthy, you first need to make that choice and be committed to taking the necessary steps to becoming wealthy.
- Pays herself first to build up a safety net and increase her means - When she gets paid, a chic woman will take out 10% of her income straight away and put it into a savings account to build up a small emergency fund and enough money to cover 3-6 months living expenses. Once this has been achieved all future 10% savings is invested for growth, income or her retirement.
- Lives within her means - the 90% - A chic woman lives within her means, which is the remaining 90% of her monthly income and has a budget. She rents or buys a modest home that meets her needs and refuses to overstretch herself with a large mortgage.
- Avoids Consumer Debt - A chic woman knows that a credit Card may be useful for buying tickets for flights or concerts online, she refuses however to run up large amounts of debt on Credit cards.
- Educates herself on money and investing
- Looks for ways to increase her means. The Chic woman who saves 10% of her income each month then looks for ways to invest it so that it creates extra income, thereby increasing her means.
- Learns about Passive Income - a way to increase your means. Passive Income is not money that you earn from a job, but is your money working hard for you. Passive Income includes income from investments such as interest on savings accounts, dividends on shares that you own, or income from a property that you rent out. There are many other forms of Passive Income and you can buy or create as many sources of Passive Income as you like. If you would like to learn about other sources of Passive Income, click here - Passive Income
- "Neither a borrower or lender be" - A chic woman wouldn't dream of asking to borrow money from her friends and family on a regular basis. It complicates the relationship and in a similar way she would refuse to lend money to a friend or family member. Instead she would try to help the person with ideas on other ways to obtain the money that they needed such as a loan from a bank or credit union, or investing to create the money they need.
- Regularly donates up to 10% of her income to charity each month. This may not be possible if you are just starting out in life but as your passive income from investments grows, you may become more comfortable donating to charities that you believe in.
- Has a chic purse - A chic woman has a chic and well organised purse, the contents of which include a small amount of cash, ready for an unexpected event.
Easy Way No. 9 - Chic Home
If you want to be chic, your home is also a reflection of your inner chicness. A Chic home is:
- A Clean and Tidy Home - The best way to keep your home clean and tidy is to have a tidy round every night before you go to bed or first thing in the morning. This keeps you on top of the clutter. Then do the housework such as dusting, hoovering and mopping floors once a week. If you really struggle to keep your home clean and tidy, you may like to visit the website "FlyLady". Every day she gives readers a small list of tasks to do each day and before you know it your home is looking much better.
- Keep your home free of clutter - If you struggle with clutter, go through your home and learn from the Shakers who said "Keep only that which is useful or beautiful".
- "A place for everything and everything in it's place". A chic home is a well organised home. There is adequate storage facilities for everything that you own and once you have finished with something, you put it back in it's place.
- Use your best and chicest things every day - Using your best things everyday means saying no to everything else that you own that is unchic and mediocre. When you get rid of these items, your home will feel less cluttered and more special.
- Chic Home Accessories - A chic home contains chic accessories such as a vase of fresh flowers or scented candles. Neither of these need be expensive and easily add a chic and femenine touch to your home.
- Keep one room chic at all time. My home sometimes descends into chaotic unchicness, but I usually keep one room chic at all times - my Living Room. I keep it clean and tidy at all times, cheered up with a vase of fresh flowers and I enjoy spending chic time there reading a good book with a cup of tea. By keeping it this way, I am able to enjoy it whwnever I want, and if a friend drops by, I am not embarrased to let them into my home.
- A home where you and your visitors are able to relax. It isn't a chic home if your guests are unable to relax because it is too formal or are afraid to move incase they break something. However, it is also important that your visitors respect your home.
Easy Way No. 10 - Chic Time Management, Being Organised and Learning to say No Gracefully
Chic Time Management and Being Organised
A chic woman is organised and rarely in a rush to get to an appointment. She rarely forgets a birthday or double books herself. Her handbag is organised and tidy. How does she achieve this? A chic woman has:
- A Chic watch - elegant with a leather or metal strap so she always knows the time.
- A Chic Pen
- A chic Diary
- A To Do List - kept uptodate and used to plan the forthcoming day, week or month.
- A chic Address Book - which she keeps up to date
- A chic Birthday Book - keeps up to date and refers to at the beginning of each month
- A Chic Notebook - into which she may attach receipts and makes notes
- A Chic small Stapler - to attach receipts and other bits of paper to her notebook.
Planning ahead and Organising your time
I used to plan my day ahead using my diary and a To Do List, but there always seemed so much to do and I never got around to doing what I wanted to do.
Now I do my planning at the beginning of each month and plan in what I would like to do as well as what I have to do for the month ahead. For each day, I write in two tasks from my ToDo List, and if I have the discipline each day to do them, hopefully by the end of the month that is 60 tasks completed.
Learn to say No gracefully - to yourself and to others
It is impossible to do everything and being able to say "No" gracefully to other people's requests for your time is a useful skill to have.
Why would you like to be Chic?
Thank you for reading my article "How to be Chic"
Hopefully you have enjoyed reading my article "How to be Chic".
Being Chic and living a Chic life is an ongoing process. I don't claim to be an expert and am at the beginning of the journey. However, since I decided to try to and live a more Chic life, about a year ago, my life has improved in so many ways.
I am committed to being Chic - according to my own definition of what Chic is and through this article hopefully help others who are searching for their own way on "How to be Chic".
I am interested to find out how you define chic, what makes you feel chic and why you would like to be chic. Please either take part in my poll on the right and/or leave a message in the comments section.
You may be interested in reading and following my Blog:
Or you may find my other articles on Hubpages interesting:
WOULD YOU LIKE TO MAKE MONEY ONLINE?
Join me and thousands of people from all around the world and write articles (Hubs) with Hubpages - an American company and start to earn passive income every month.
I live in England and joined three years ago and so far have 50 articles (Hubs), all written in my spare time. They earn me passive income every month. Some Hubbers have hundreds, even thousands of articles.
How does it work?
Hubpages provides the facility for you to write and publish articles online. They put adverts on the page which earn you money every month. Once you have written an article, you just leave it and it has the potential to earn you passive income every month for years.
What can I write about?
- Creative writing - such as short stories and poetry
- Product reviews
- Any subject you like. Examples include travel, hobbies, money, relationships, child-care, history, art, politics, fashion, technology etc
How much can I earn?
Hubpages puts adverts on our articles and we earn money every time someone reads the article - between US$3 to $8 per 1000 views. My average hubs are viewed/ read by about 30 people a day, my most popular hubs are read by 100 people a day. If you do the maths, you will see that a popular Hub, read 100 times a days, earns between US$110 to US$290 a year, and will continue to do so every year. Last year my hubs generated enough passive income to pay for my summer holiday and are on track to do the same again this year and every year.
How long does it take to write an article / Hub?
Some articles take me a couple of hours to write, others may take up to 5 hours to write. On average, I write one article a week. Many Hubpage members write more, some write less.
How much will it cost me?
- Nothing. Hubpages is FREE to join. You share your earnings with them. You keep 60%, they keep 40%. They want you to earn and make it easy for you.
It sounds too good to be true, where's the catch?
The catch is that you need to write good quality articles on subjects that enough people want to read about and make them easy to find on the internet.
How do I do this?
It is really easy when you know how. When you think about a topic you may want to write about, do the following:
- Think about some key phrases related to the subject.
- As an example, say you want to write a chicken curry recipe hub. Some connected phrases may be "How to cook a chicken curry", "Chicken Curry Recipe", "Recipe for Chicken Curry", "Easy Chicken Curry Recipe", "Hot Chicken Curry Recipe" - you get the idea..........
- Use the online "Adsense Keyword Tool". It is provided by Google and is free to use.
- To find it, simply type in Adsense Keyword Tool into search.
- Type in all of your phrases. The keyword tool will then tell you how many people a month are typing in these phrases.
- Look for a phrase that is searched for at least 3000 times a month.
- As an example, say you notice that 3000 people a month search for "How to cook a chicken curry" compared to only 500 who search for "Hot Chicken Curry Recipe".
- You call your article the most searched for phrase - "How to cook a chicken curry"
- Include this phrase into both the title and the content of your hub.
- Your article now stands a good chance of appearing on the first page of the Search Engines search results page, being clicked on and read.
What you are doing is finding out exactly what people want, the exact phrases they are typing into the search engines to find it, and writing articles that give them what they are looking for. You make it easy for them to find your article by using their search phrase in your title and content.
Give people what they are looking for and you will make money.
How else can I earn with Hubpages?
- Sell E-Bay and Amazon Products on your Hubs and earn commission.
- Encourage a friend to join Hubpages and receive 10% of their earnings
Once you have written an article, you just leave it and it will earn you money every day for years. That is passive income.
If I can do it, so can you.
Follow these six easy steps to join hubpages and start earning:
I recommend writing them down so you know what to do.
- Join Hubpages, the link is below, then.....
- Activate the Hubpages Earnings Programme to allow adverts to be shown on your account.
- Set up a PayPal Account. Hubpages pay your earnings into this account. If you already have one, this can be used.
- Think of a subject for your first "Hub .
- Search for and use Adsense Keyword Tool (It is a free to use tool.) Type in a few key phrases related to the topic of your hub. Look for a phrase that is searched for at least 3000 times a month and include this phrase in the title and content of your hub.
- Write and publish your first "Hub".
Remember, it is FREE to join, so you have nothing to lose. If thousands of other people around the world can make a passive income online with Hubpages, so can you.
To join Hubpages and start making money Click Here . Good Luck