How to be well groomed
The aim of grooming is not to spend hours trying to look perfect, but to look clean, neat and presentable for both yourself and to others. This article covers the basics, the minimum that you need to do to look well groomed at all times. You will be glad to know that this can be achieved easily, using just a small amount of time, effort and money.
The trick is to pay attention to your grooming on a daily basis, and my suggestion is to base your grooming routine around a daily morning shower.
There is a follow on article "Advanced Grooming Tips", which you may like to read afterwards. These tips are perfect if you need to take your grooming up a level, for example, you have a job interview, are attending a special event, such as a wedding or black tie party, or are regularly in the media spotlight and need to look ultra well-groomed.
So, lets get started with basic grooming ..................
One of the cornerstones of basic grooming is cleanliness. A person can't be well groomed if they look or smell dirty.
At the bare minimum, you should take a shower every morning. It is the quickest and easiest ways to maintain cleanliness. By spending only a few minutes in the shower each morning, you are going to look clean and smell fresh all day. You will also feel fresh and comfortable.
It is important that the soap or shower gel you use is chosen with care. Choose one that smells:
- Clean, fresh and natural, such as a citrus or light floral scent.
- Has a subtle rather than overpowering smell.
- Smells expensive rather than cheap. It is better to use a non-fragranced soap rather than one that smells cheap.
By getting into the habit of having a shower every morning, you are also giving yourself the ideal opportunity to carry out a couple of other basic grooming tasks that need to be done on a regular basis - more about that later.
SMELL WELL GROOMED
In order to smell well groomed, as a bare minimum, you will need to use a deodorant or anti-perspirant. These will help you maintain that just out of the shower freshness, and prevent you from smelling sweaty later on in the day.
Deodorants and anti-perspirants.
Choose one that is either:
- Fragrance free - if you don't wish to smell of anything.
- One with a light and subtle, fresh or floral fragrance. Make sure it isn't overpowering.
For a special event, you may wish to wear an aftershave or perfume and I provide tips on how to choose and wear fragrance in my next article "Advanced Grooming Tips".
Your skin needs to be kept clean, exfoliated and moisturised if it is to look healthy and well looked after.
Here is my suggestion for a basic skincare routine that can be incorporated into your morning shower routine.
For your shower every day, use a moisturising shower gel on both your face and body, but twice a week incorporate the following into your shower routine:
- Wash your face with a facial wash that contains exfoliating granules. This will cleanse your skin and remove dead skin cells.
- Wash your body with a shower gel that contains exfoliating granules. (Don't use it on your face or other delicate skin areas- it is too harsh.)
- Use a foot file or pumice stone to exfoliate your feet and remove hard skin.
After your shower, and having dried off, I recommend moisturising your face with a light day moisturising cream, with inbuilt sun protection (SPF).
A couple of times a week, use a body lotion to moisturise the rest of your body.
Before you go to bed at night, remove any heavy make-up with facial cleansing lotion.
Make-up can help you to look well groomed. Its purpose is to cover up your flaws and enhance your natural beauty. To look well groomed, your aim is to achieve a no make-up look. Yes, you are wearing make-up, but you are applying it sparely.
Apply your make-up in the morning after you have had your shower and applied the light day moisturiser.
A basic "No make-up look" can be achieved by applying:
- A light covering of foundation
- A little blusher
- Subtle Pink Lip gloss
HAIR & HAIRSTYLES
In order to look well groomed, you need to carry out the minimum:
- Keep your hair clean - wash your hair every other day.
- Keep your hair in good condition - use a conditioner after every wash and have your hair trimmed regularly to keep it free of split ends.
- Choose a simple, elegant, easy to care for style. Style ideas include a short layered style, the classic bob, or if you prefer something longer, a midi / shoulder length style, that can be worn down, or up in a ponytail or chic up-do.
- Brush your hair every morning as a minimum.
- Keep your hair neat - if after brushing it still doesn't look neat, tie it back or put it into an up-do.
- Hair colour - nature knows best, so try to keep your hair its natural colour, or dye it a natural and elegant colour for a well groomed look.
Your nails are one of the first things that people notice about you and can make or break whether you look well groomed or not.
As a minimum, your nails need to look:
- Clean - If you shower everyday, they will get cleaned when you shower. If they get dirty, due to a dirty job or hobby, use a nail brush to clean them, or wear gloves to protect them.
- Neat and elegantly shaped -The aim is to have natural, feminine looking nails. Leave some of the white tip showing on all of your nails, and shape it into a short, rounded tip. You don't want nails that are cut so short they look like they have been chewed, or so long that they look like talons.
- Moisturised - Use a hand cream to keep your nails, hands and cuticles soft and moisturised.
- Neat cuticles - The cuticles are found at the base of the nail and can look dry, cracked and overgrown. They can be pushed back with a wooden manicure stick.
- Toenails - Keep these clipped short and clean. If they need clipping, you can quickly do this in the bathroom after your shower. Your toenails will be soft, so easier to cut.
To make looking after your hands and nails easier, you may like this tip. If you use a computer regularly, keep a nail file and tube of hand cream near by. You are likely to use them if you can see them. Also keep a nail file in your handbag.
In order to look well groomed, a certain amount of hair removal from both the face and body may need to be carried out.
During and after your morning shower is an ideal time to remove unwanted hair - the heat and steam opens the pores up and makes it easier to remove hair.
- During your morning shower, you can quickly remove hair from your underarms and legs with a razor.
- After your morning shower, you can remove surplus facial hair, for example on your top lip or chin, with tweezers or wax strips.
- Then apply your moisturisers as normal.
Beautifully shaped, well groomed eyebrows frame your eyes, and are an important part of creating a well groomed look.
Most of my basic grooming tips can be carried out a home, but I recommend visiting a professional when it comes to eyebrows.
I find going to a beauty salon is the easiest way to keep my eyebrows looking well groomed and it only takes 10 to 15 minutes. I have mine waxed every couple of months, but you can have them threaded.
Your eyebrows need to be shaped to complement the shape of your face and eyes. A natural, soft and gently curving eyebrow shape suits most women.
In-between visits to the beauty salon, you can use eyebrow tweezers to pluck out hairs as they regrow and keep your eyebrows neat.
TEETH AND ORAL HYGIENE
A key part of looking and being well groomed is paying attention to our teeth and oral hygiene.
It is important to have clean teeth and fresh smelling breath. When you have good oral hygiene no-one notices, but if you have bad breath, everyone notices.
- Clean your teeth at least twice a day, in the morning and before bed. If you can brush them after lunch, do so.
- Floss your teeth to remove plaque and debris from between the teeth and along the gum line.
- Use a mouth wash to reduce bacteria and make your breath smell fresh.
- Visit the dentist regularly - every six months for a check-up. Some people like to visit the hygienist more regularly.
You may like to read the second grooming article "Advanced Grooming". It covers:
- Cleanliness - For tips on how to go beyond basic cleanliness, how your daily shower can turn into an enjoyable daily ritual and using a bath.
- Advanced skincare - such as facials and CTM (Cleanse, Tone and Moisturise).
- Advanced Hair Removal Techniques
- Advanced teeth and oral hygiene
- Advanced Nails - Advanced nail grooming ideas for special occasions.
- Advanced Make-up - There is a more sophisticated version of the no make-up look which is easy to learn. It is perfect for occasions when you want to look ultra groomed and flawless.
- To smell classy and luxurious - the next step is to wear a perfume or body spray. This advanced grooming article covers how to choose and wear a perfume.
WOULD YOU LIKE TO MAKE MONEY ONLINE?
Join me and thousands of people from all around the world and write articles (Hubs) with Hubpages - an American company and start to earn passive income every month.
I live in England and joined three years ago and so far have 50 articles (Hubs), all written in my spare time. They earn me passive income every month. Some Hubbers have hundreds, even thousands of articles.
How does it work?
Hubpages provides the facility for you to write and publish articles online. They put adverts on the page which earn you money every month. Once you have written an article, you just leave it and it has the potential to earn you passive income every month for years.
What can I write about?
- Creative writing - such as short stories and poetry
- Product reviews
- Any subject you like. Examples include travel, hobbies, money, relationships, child-care, history, art, politics, fashion, technology etc
How much can I earn?
Hubpages puts adverts on our articles and we earn money every time someone reads the article - between US$3 to $8 per 1000 views. My average hubs are viewed/ read by about 30 people a day, my most popular hubs are read by 100 people a day. If you do the maths, you will see that a popular Hub, read 100 times a days, earns between US$110 to US$290 a year, and will continue to do so every year. Last year my hubs generated enough passive income to pay for my summer holiday and are on track to do the same again this year and every year.
How long does it take to write an article / Hub?
Some articles take me a couple of hours to write, others may take up to 5 hours to write. On average, I write one article a week. Many Hubpage members write more, some write less.
How much will it cost me?
- Nothing. Hubpages is FREE to join. You share your earnings with them. You keep 60%, they keep 40%. They want you to earn and make it easy for you.
It sounds too good to be true, where's the catch?
The catch is that you need to write good quality articles on subjects that enough people want to read about and make them easy to find on the internet.
How do I do this?
It is really easy when you know how. When you think about a topic you may want to write about, do the following:
- Think about some key phrases related to the subject.
- As an example, say you want to write a chicken curry recipe hub. Some connected phrases may be "How to cook a chicken curry", "Chicken Curry Recipe", "Recipe for Chicken Curry", "Easy Chicken Curry Recipe", "Hot Chicken Curry Recipe" - you get the idea..........
- Use the online "Adsense Keyword Tool". It is provided by Google and is free to use.
- To find it, simply type in Adsense Keyword Tool into search.
- Type in all of your phrases. The keyword tool will then tell you how many people a month are typing in these phrases.
- Look for a phrase that is searched for at least 3000 times a month.
- As an example, say you notice that 3000 people a month search for "How to cook a chicken curry" compared to only 500 who search for "Hot Chicken Curry Recipe".
- You call your article the most searched for phrase - "How to cook a chicken curry"
- Include this phrase into both the title and the content of your hub.
- Your article now stands a good chance of appearing on the first page of the Search Engines search results page, being clicked on and read.
What you are doing is finding out exactly what people want, the exact phrases they are typing into the search engines to find it, and writing articles that give them what they are looking for. You make it easy for them to find your article by using their search phrase in your title and content.
Give people what they are looking for and you will make money.
How else can I earn with Hubpages?
- Sell E-Bay and Amazon Products on your Hubs and earn commission.
- Encourage a friend to join Hubpages and receive 10% of their earnings
Once you have written an article, you just leave it and it will earn you money every day for years. That is passive income.
If I can do it, so can you.
Follow these six easy steps to join hubpages and start earning:
I recommend writing them down so you know what to do.
- Join Hubpages, the link is below, then.....
- Activate the Hubpages Earnings Programme to allow adverts to be shown on your account.
- Set up a PayPal Account. Hubpages pay your earnings into this account. If you already have one, this can be used.
- Think of a subject for your first "Hub .
- Search for and use Adsense Keyword Tool (It is a free to use tool.) Type in a few key phrases related to the topic of your hub. Look for a phrase that is searched for at least 3000 times a month and include this phrase in the title and content of your hub.
- Write and publish your first "Hub".
Remember, it is FREE to join, so you have nothing to lose. If thousands of other people around the world can make a passive income online with Hubpages, so can you.
To join Hubpages and start making money Click Here . Good Luck