- Fashion and Beauty
How to grow your hair longer
The key to growing your hair long is to keep it healthy and to give it time. Here are some tip I have found to help me:
- Get a trim every few months- While this will not help your hair grow faster, it will keep your hair healthier by getting rid of the split ends.
- Don't wash your hair everyday- Shampooing strips your hair of natural oils and it will dry your hair out. I wash my hair every other day, but you could go even longer between washes if you want.
- Be gentle when your hair is wet- Your hair is at its weakest when it is wet. Brush your hair with a wide-tooth comb instead of with a brush to avoid damage. Also try to avoid putting you hair up when it is wet.
- To dry your hair use a towel and dab it dry. Rubbing your hair with the towel will only cause frizz and can cause split ends.
- A couple minute scalp massage each day stimulates hair follicles by increasing the blood flow. This promotes hair growth and can even be done when you shampoo in the shower.
Avoid Heat Styling
This includes the hair dryer, straightener and curling iron. It can fry your hair, making it brittle and will cause split ends. If you cannot give up heat styling make sure to use a heat protectant spray every time. My favorite is Tresemme Thermal Creations Heat Tamer Spray.
Coloring or bleaching your hair, as well as getting perms or relaxers are also damaging.
Use Conditioner and Deep Condition
This is important because shampooing strips hair of its natural oils. Using conditioner helps add moisture. I also try to use a deep conditioner once a week. I like Macadamia Natural Oil Deep Repair Masque. I put it on my hair in the shower and leave it on for 7 minutes. If I have the time I will leave it on for longer outside of the shower.This gives my hair the extra moisture it needs and makes my hair soft.
I also like to use coconut oil on my hair as a treatment before I wash it. It comes in a semi-solid form, but when heated between your hands it will turn into a liquid. An hour or two before I take a shower I put it all over my hair, focusing mostly on the ends. When you wash it out you will probably need to shampoo twice to get it all off. It will make you hair look greasy if there is any left. Afterwards my hair feels extra soft and more manageable.
Drinking water and having a nutritious diet is important for hair growth. Healthy hair, nails and skin starts from within. Omega-3, found in fish as well as nuts and green vegetables are especially good for hair. Taking a multi-vitamin is also beneficial.
Recently I have jumped on the sulfate-free shampoo and conditioner bandwagon and it has helped a ton! I have noticed that my hair is healthier looking and feels softer and less frizzy.
Sulfate is a harsh detergent that strips hair of natural oils and will dry your hair out. Sulfate-free shampoos have more gentle ingredients.
They are generally more pricey, but in my experience it is worth it.