How to have beautiful eyes
When meeting people for the first time, one of the first things that we notice are the eyes, they are said to be the "window to the soul." Our eyes show our emotional feelings, i.e. if we are happy, sad or surprised. They can also tell us a lot about the state of our health. Eyes are often neglected when it comes to taking care of ourselves. This hub is designed to give some tips on how we can make the most of our eyes and how to take care of them.
Health care practitioners and opticians recommend that we have our eyes tested every 12 months. This is especially important if you do a lot of reading and/or computer work.
Eyes can become very tired or irritated through lack of sleep. The amount of sleep that an individual requires varies dependent on age. These are some guidelines on the amount of sleep that we should aim for:
- Babies need on average around 16 hours per day.
- Toddlers require around 12 hours per day.
- Children up to age 10 or 11 need around 10-11 hours per day.
- Teenagers require on average 9 hours per day.
- Most adults need around 7 or 8 hours per day, but this varies from person to person.
Treats for eyes
Everyone wants their eyes to look fresh, so these are a few treats for your eyes:
Place a cool slice of cucumber over your eyes and relax for 15-20 minutes. Alternatively, you can put a cool, damp tea-bag over each eye and keep your eyes closed for around 15 minutes. Vitamin K enriched cream containing retinol is especially good for the skin around the eyes and can help reduce fine lines and improve the appearance of baggy looking eyes.
Protect your eyes
- Avoid eye strain by working in a well lit room.
- Don't sit too near to the television as this can cause eye strain as well as headaches.
- Ensure when sitting at your computer, that it is at least 20-25 inches away from you.
- Always wear safety glasses when working with materials which could damage your eyes. If your occupation requires you to wear protective glasses/goggles, ensure that you wear them.
- Protect your eyes from the harmful UVA rays of the sun by wearing suitable sunglasses. Before purchasing sunglasses, always check the label to ensure that they offer 100% UVA protection.
Eye care maintainence
- Before going to sleep, apply a little vaseline to your eyelashes. This will not only hydrate them while you are sleeping, but will condition them too.
- As the skin around our eyes is 40% thinner than on the rest of our face, try applying a night repair creme to the skin round your eye. This will help to reduce lines and puffiness, while hydrating and helping to fade any dark circles that you may have.
- Wearing an eye mask to bed, can aid sleep as it blocks out any natural light in the room and helps to establish a sleep routine.
- Gel masks can be applied to the eye area with a number of benefits. A cool gel mask can relieve tired eyes, reduce swelling or puffiness and help with relaxation. They can be put in the fridge prior to applying and can be purchased at large stores and pharmacies.
There are many eye shadow colors on the market, but it is important to choose a shade which suits your eye color.
Blue eyes - Most suited to brown, plum, grey, dark blue, silver
Brown eyes - Shades like gold, green, bronze, beige, brown, peach, coral and pink all suit brown eyes.
Green eyes - Browns, champagne and light greens are well suited to green eyes.
Hazel eyes - All shades of brown, coral, gold, champagne, beige and taupe.
What color are your eyes?
How to apply Eye Shadow
Making the most of your eyes
- As your eyebrows frame your eyes, it is important to keep them neat. At least once a week, tidy up any straggly hairs to maintain the shape of your brows. I find that it is easier and less painful if you do this when you are just out of a bath or shower as the pores are open then.
- When going out, curl your eyelashes before applying a defining lash mascara as this gives the appearance of longer lashes.
- Using an eye liner can make your eyes look larger.
- Always remove eye makeup every night using a gentle cleanser or make up remover wipes.
- Give your eyes a day or two off each week and go naked!