- Fashion and Beauty»
- Fashion Accessories
How to make your own wire headband
Example of my Own wired headbands
This Summers' Fashion Item
These Bendy headbands are this years biggest fashion accessory in the UK and is so versatile it can be worn in various ways and for different events and look cool on long and short style hair.
You could be paying too much for one of these from a top fashion store so why not make your own out of any material you have around the house or a chiffon scarf. Some of the floral prints are very retro so ask your grandma or mum for an old pair of curtains to use as these prints prove very popular with so many teenagers.
The 2012 Olympics in London is not far away now so make your own headband out of your own countries flag! I've gone all patriotic and used this Union Jack material I bought off ebay.
Items You will need
- Length of Material any pattern or colour of your choice (35 x 5 inches)
- Sewing machine
- Cotton thread
- Garden plastic coated wire approx 20 gauge or craft/florists wire
- Wire Cutters
- Cut a Length of Material to 36 Inches by 5 inches, you should have a very long rectangle.
- Fold the piece of material you have in Half length ways with the pattern facing inwards. And iron it flat down (You should now have a piece at 36x2.5 inches)
- At Both ends of the piece you have cut a diagonal so you end up with pointed ends.
- Sew the edges together leaving one end open to thread the wire through (this gap is going to be hand sewn later)
- Trim the excess fabric on the raw edges.
- Next you need to turn the whole piece the right way around as it will be inside out and flatten out with the iron.
- Trim a piece of wire approx 36 inches long and using some pliers bend both ends of the wire into a flat spiral so no sharp pieces are protruding out. I have also shaped the wire to fit the pointed end as it is easier to play around with it once you wear the headband.
- Thread the Wire through the headband tube you have made and hand stitch the opening carefully so no stitches are visible