How to Style a Ballerina Bun
Buns For Everyone!
The ballerina bun is a classic look that is still going strong. This style has spread from ballerinas to athletes, celebrities, everyday casual use and down the runway. Why? Because it is an easy clean classy look that anyone can put together in minutes! If you are a girl on the go or just want to try a new simple but elegant style you have got to try this bun.
What You Need
You don't need much to complete this look but there are some tools and products that make putting a ballerina bun together much easier. These items are listed below.
- A good brush
- Hair tie
- A doughnut (the hair kind not the eating kind)
- Hair spray (optional)
- Bobby pins
What Is a Hair Doughnut?
A hair doughnut is a cloth or sponge doughnut shape that you can put around a ponytail to help you create a full bun. You can purchase these at any beauty supply store or on line. If you don't want to go through the hassle or cost of buying one you can make one.
How To Make Your Own Doughnut
You will need a clean sock that you don't need. Maybe a mismatched sock! Cut the toe off with the scissors. Then roll up the sock like a sleeve. keep rolling until you have a doughnut shape. Now you should have a doughnut you can place around your pony tail.
How to do a sock bun or ballerina bun tutorial
How Do I Make a Bun?
To create this look you just need to follow these simple steps listed below. There is more than one way but this I found to be the easiest.
- Wet your hair so it can be more easily slicked back.
- Gather your hair into a high pony tail.
- Smooth out the bumps as much as possible.
- Place your doughnut around the pony base.
- Move the doughnut to the end of the pony.
- Roll the hair up into the doughnut.
- Now just keep rolling until you get to the bottom.
- Secure the bun with bobby pins.
- Smooth out bumps again and spray with hairspray.
The Classic Ballerina Style
This is the other way you can do this style. This is a more traditional version. It does not require a sock or doughnut at all. You can use the hair net if you want but that is also optional.
The steps are similar to the style above but the step by step instructions are listed below.
- Wet hair slightly.
- Slick your hair back into a high pony.
- Then twist the hair in the pony into a rope.
- Wrap the rope around the base.
- This will create a swirly bun.
- Use bobby pins and a hair tie to keep in place.
- Hair spray is optional but recommended.
- Sock buns make really pretty curls.
- Gel will help keep your hair smoothed out.
- Using bobby pins the same color as your hair will disguise them.
- Using socks or doughnuts close to your hair color will better hide them.
- These buns look pretty even when messy.
- The thickness of the doughnut should depend on how much hair you have and whether it is thick or fine.
Do you think these buns are just for ballerinas?
Some more of my work
- Different styles of bangs and how to wear them
Learn all the different kinds of bangs and how to wear them. Find the perfect type to go with your personal style and face shape.
- The Five Best Pigtail Styles For Women
Who said pig tails are only for little girls? Learn how to get away with wearing this super fun hairstyle at any age and get away with it!
- How to do the bump hairstyle
How to do the bump or pouf hairstyle. This is a fun easy way to give your look a little extra glamor. It only takes minutes so its the perfect style if you are short on time or if you are just having a bad hair day.
Some related pages
- Best Vintage Hair and Hairstyling Websites and Blogs
5 of the best online resources for vintage hairstyles that have excellent how to instructions and tutorials
- Hairstyling: How-to Style This Short Wispy Cut
Products you'll need to achieve this short wispy hairstyle are: Shampoo and leave-in conditioner; hair gel; Hot Sets spray; light wax, and flexible hairspray. First you shampoo and condition your hair. Towel dry and rub a little more conditioner in..
- How To Make Dreadlocks Hairstyle On Short Hair - Dre...
It never fails when most people decide they want the dreadlock hairstyle they have short hair . Learn how to do short hair locs with ease.