- Fashion and Beauty
Things that you can do for healthy hair
Knowing how to take care of your hair helps to keep your hair healthy and strong. Taking care of your hair helps to prevent hair fall and premature graying.
How Does Your Hair Grow?
Each hair strand has a root that is enclosed within the hair follicle that is present just beneath the scalp. Each hair follicle has a pair of oil glands on either sides.
The hair root is supplied with nutrients for growth by the blood vessels present at the base of the follicles.
As hair grows, it pushes out through the follicle and the scalp. The oil produced by the oil glands keeps the hair moisturized.
Diet for Healthy Hair
Following a healthy diet is essential for healthy hair.
Omega 3 fatty acids are important for a healthy scalp. Deficiency of omega three fatty acids can result in hair strands becoming brittle.
Soya beans, Tofu, Walnuts, Brussel Sprouts, Cauliflower are rich in Omega 3 fatty acids.
Dark green vegetables have vitamin A that helps the oil glands to produce the oil-like substance called sebum. The sebum acts as a natural hair conditioner for hair.
Kale, Collards, Turnip Greens, Spinach, Broccoli, are rich in vitamin A.
Beans and eggs are rich in vitamin B-12 and biotin that helps to promote hair growth.
Whole grains are rich in zinc, iron, and vitamin B that promotes hair growth and keeps the hair healthy and strong.
Brazil nuts are rich in selenium. Selenium helps to keep the scalp healthy and prevents dandruff.
Walnuts contain alpha-linolenic acid which helps to condition and moisturize hair.
Walnuts, pecans, and almonds are rich in zinc that helps to prevent hair fall.
Things that you can do to take care of your hair
1. Wash your hair after an intense workout session or after sweating heavily to wash away all the dirt and prevent the onset of dandruff.
2. Wash your hair at least twice a week. When you wash your hair, use your fingers to work up a lather rather than your nails. Your nails can damage the scalp and the follicle causing hair fall.
3. If you have to wash your hair daily, use a mild shampoo. Strong shampoos tend to wash away all the oil content from your hair strands making them dry and brittle.
4. Do not comb your hair when it is wet. This will lead to breakage of hair strands. Use a wide toothed comb to remove all the knots in your hair and then use a fine toothed comb to prevent hair strands from breaking.
5. Do not over comb your hair. Excessive combing of hair will lead to hair fall.
6. Use a hair protection mousse or spray before styling your hair to prevent damage to hair due to the applied heat.
Knowing how to take care of your hair will help to prevent hair fall and premature graying of hair.