- Fashion and Beauty»
- Cosmetic Surgery
Microdermabrasion, Dermabrasion, and Plastic Surgery Procedures With Photos
Disclaimer: I am not a health professional. Please seek the advice of your doctor before you change your diet, exercise program, or any other lifestyle changes.
What is Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is a procedure that exfoliates the dead skin on the face and neck allowing new fresh skin to surface. This procedure helps to eliminate wrinkles, lighten age spots, acne scars, and freckles while leaving a youthful glow to the skin. This is done by using a machine that is made with crystals, diamonds, or bristles, and has a suction function as well. The initial procedure requires 3 to 5 treatments 2 to 3 weeks apart. Some continue to have the microdermabrasion done on a monthly basis to maintain the new youthful glow. Each treatment takes about 20 minutes and the complete series lasts 2 to 3 months. There is little to no pain involved in this treatment. If the patient has sensitive skin, a light stinging may occur when toner is placed on the face to remove any excess cells and help close the pores. This procedure costs between $75 and $200 USD. The cost depends on the area of treatment, cleansers, toners, and sunscreens used, or if it is done at home by the patient.
After receiving just 1 treatment, skin care products and make up go on smoother and more evenly. Microdermabrasion can actually be done at home by the patient. Because of the exfoliation of the first layer of dead skin cells exposing the new cells, the skin is usually left a light pink color. However, make up can be worn and normal activities may resume that same day.
Warning: Very Graphic
Why Microdermabrasion instead of Plastic Surgery, Chemical Peels, or Botox?
- Plastic Surgery is often the choice made by those who want to turn back the clock and look younger by eliminating wrinkles and smoothing the skin. This is done by stretching the facial skin after cutting and removing the excess skin. It takes an average of 4 months to totally recover from the surgery and expose the younger looking patient. However, a surgical face lift can last for years. Some of the disadvantages to having a surgical face lift is it often leaves the patient with a lack of expression giving a fake, mannequin like appearance, the patient is placed under general anesthesia for an unnecessary, non-medical related condition (unless, of course, it is from an accident or other medical necessity, not just for appearance sake). There is a greater risk of infection, as well as pain, swelling and bruising. Plastic surgery can cost a patient anywhere between $6,000 and $15,000 USD.
- Botox eliminates wrinkles. Small needles are used to inject the Botox under the skin near and around the unwanted wrinkled areas of the face. It takes up to 2 weeks for full effect. The procedure is effective for about 4 to 6 months before another treatment is needed. One major disadvantage of Botox treatment is like having Plastic Surgery it often leaves the patient with a lack of expression giving a less than human like appearance. The cost for this procedure averages $300 to $400 USD per area.
- Chemical Peel is usually done to control acne and adds a youthful glow to the skin by literally burning off the top layer of the epidermis using salicylic acid and/or glycolic acid. It takes up to 14 days to see the full effect as the skin sheds and peels for a minimum of 5-7 days. This procedure lasts about 2 to 3 months. Chemical peels can be extremely painful depending on the depth of the peel being done. You can get a chemical peel for anywhere between $75 and $1,500 USD based on the type, depth, and series of the peel.
Drinking Water is the Best Kept Anti-Aging Secret
Anti-Aging Preventative Methods
You can keep your youthful look if your originally start preventative methods while you are young. By doing so, you can eliminate the need to have any procedure done, at least for much longer that if you don’t take care of your skin.
- A healthy diet always contributes to a youthful, acne free appearance.
- The skin care products you use are important, so choose them wisely and use them properly.
- It is extremely important to keep your skin moisturized, even when you are young.
- Proper technique adds to your continuing youthful appearance. When you apply any facial cleansers or enhancers, always use your weakest finger, which is your ring finger. Apply the product in an upward and outward direction, defying gravity.
- Hydration is an easy way to keep your skin healthy so be sure do drink plenty of water.
- Professional facials on a regular basis will not only be relaxing but damage can be detected early by a professional and prevent or prolong the need for additional treatment.
Beauty Truly Comes From the Inside First
Most importantly, understand that true beauty comes from the inside. If you are a kind, compassionate person who has confidence, grace and love in your heart, your inner beauty will shine through.
Some people are so vain that they will go to any length to keep their youth. One case in point is Hungarian Countess Elizabeth Bathory, also known as “The Blood Countess.” This woman, in a desperate attempt to remain youthful became a serial killer of young girls in her care. She was a 16th century psychopath who would mistreat and torture the peasant girls in the surrounding villages, kill them, and bathe in their blood. In 1611 after decades of time and hundreds of young lives taken, she was held on house arrest, in her own castle, by the Hungarian King until her death in 1614 at the age of 54.
- Cosmetic Surgery | Plastic Surgery Infographic | No Question Left Unanswered by Avvo
Learn more about the top 10 procedures plus see photos of celebs and real people. Get your cosmetic surgery IQ for a chance to win a $125 SpaFinder gift card!
- Discovery Health "How Microdermabrasion Works"
Microdermabrasion is a skin-care technique that uses tiny rough grains to buff away the surface layer of skin. Learn about microdermabrasion and skin anatomy.
Thank you for your interest in my writing. I certainly hope the read was useful. It would be greatly appreciated if you were to leave a comment, suggestion or constructive criticism in the comments section below.
"Be kind to one another" ~ Ellen
God Bless You ~ Margaret Sullivan