Lavender Gentle Exfoliating Body Scrub Recipe
This body scrub is one of the more unique recipes that I've came across because it includes bread. The bread and oats help to form a thick paste that spreads gently across the skin. This makes this a better scrub for people with sensitive skin.
This makes enough body scrub for one full body application. Make sure to use the scrub the same day, due to the yeast in the mixture if it is left even overnight it could begin to have a strong, unpleasant smell. That being said, I do not suggest this particular scrub for a gift.
Like most homemade recipes for soaps, lotions, and scrubs this can be made into an organic scrub. You can use as high or as low quality ingredients as you feel necessary.
Also, another added benefit to making your own hygiene products is that not only do you control the quality and quantity of what you make, but you also can take a base recipe and then experiment with the different oils and scents until it's perfect for you.
Confused as to where to buy supplies?
Most of the specialized essential oils and hydrosols can be easily found in local health food stores. If there are no stores in your area, then you can easily buy the ingredients online. The wonderful thing about making your own soaps, lotions, and scrubs is that you only use a very little at a time, so these ingredients last a long time.
- 2 oz fesh whole wheat bread, tore into small pieces
- 1/2 oz crushes oats
- 1 teaspoon dried lavender buds
- 2 oz lavender hydrosol
- 1 oz aloe vera gel
- 1 teaspoon whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 3 drops lavender essential oil
- 1 drop neroli esential oil
- Combine bread, oats and lavender buds.
- In a separate bowl stir together remaining ingredients, adding the essential oils last.
- Combine the bread ingredients with the liquid ingredients. The mixture should be about the consistency of thin paste. If the mixture is too runny, then add more bread cubes or oats until the body scrub is an easily spreadable mixture.
- To use the body scrub, first moisten skin then spread the paste over skin in a circular motion. Allow the mixture to set on the skin for a few minutes before rinsing. The scrub acts as a gentle exfoliator.
Interested in making your own beauty products but this wasn't quite the one that you were looking for? Try some of my other hubs then and maybe they'll be a better fit.
How about a facial cleanser that is made of kiwis? It's actually completely edible (and quite yummy) if you don't put the essential oils in it. If not kiwis, then how about taking advantage of honey's natural antioxidant properties and try a honey cleanser.
Since I'm 6 months pregnant, my personal favorite is this scar minimizing lotion recipe.
All of these recipes can be organic if you choose to make them that way. Just be sure to choose "USDA Certified Organic" products when shopping for the ingredients.