Fashion - Losing my Trousers
Have you noticed the fashion trend which has been around for a very long time now? It is for guys, especially young guys to wear trousers nearly below their bottoms – in most cases exposing their boxer shorts.
I have no problems with this. Its fashion after all. However, I worry that one day someone is going to lose their trousers, or they’d reach to pull them up, only to find them round their ankles.
Anyway, my curiosity got the better of me and I did a little research on it. So, if you are interested, here are some facts:
- The practice is called “Sagging”.
- The guys who dress like this think its “Cool”.
- The practice of wearing Sagging Trousers is thought to have begun in US Prisons. Inmates were issued with ill-fitting clothes and denied belts due to fears over use as weapons or suicide aids.
- It is an offence in some places in America. President Obama has even urged American youth to hike up their waist bands. (see article link below) I say, "can they do it?" Yes, they can!
- Laws have also been passed in America about this. The punishment could range from a fine to a Jail Sentence. People actually get arrested for it. (Its seen as exposure of underwear). There are no laws in the UK yet.
I personally think it’s a bit OTT (over the top) putting someone in Jail for it. Lets flip the coin - How about if we were to look at some ladies/teens. You have cleavages, visible thongs at the back of Jeans etc, the list goes on and my oh my, the things we wear in the summer, but lets not go there today……
It’s a free world but Don’t lose those trousers.
Low slung style icon - Prince Harry in Afghanistan
Punishments for Sagging
Teen arrested, cites Prince Harry and David Beckham as evidence that the trend is cool.
- Teenager arrested for wearing baggy trousers cites Prince Harry and David Beckham as evidence the tr
When he put on his pair of droopy combats, little did Prince Harry know that his trousers would one day strike a blow for freedom of expression.