- Fashion and Beauty»
Men's Fashion: Rules to Follow When Dressing
When I was a teenager and in my early 20's, I never put too much thought into my clothing. I grabbed whatever shirt was clean and whatever pants were the closest to the shirt. Shoes? Black goes with everything, right? My sister had an absolutely gorgeous friend who was always wearing the most fashionable clothing. I was introduced to this marvelous woman one day. As I approached her she smiled, gave me a quick look-over from head to toe and said, "Hi, nice to meet you!" Months later I befriended her and as we were having lunch, she said, "Do you know that your shoes and belt should match?" I found it to be a weird question, but said, "I never thought about that." That was the beginning of my dressing transformation. Here are some tips I learned on how to dress.
1. The previously mentioned, belt and shoes should match; black shoes, black belt; brown shoes, brown belt. No, it is not okay to have dark brown and faded black as a mix, even though they are somewhat close on the color spectrum!
2. A white shirt goes with anything. Don't run out and buy a dozen white shirts, unless you want to be nicknamed Casper the Friendly Ghost. A white shirt by itself is boring. Dress it up with a tastefully colored tie.
3. Black does not go with everything. Black and brown should not be worn together. Black and blue should be avoided also. One exception is blue jeans with a black shirt (just don't forget to wear black shoes and a black belt with this outfit!)
4. Do not wear the same color pants and shirt. Blue pants, blue shirt; Black pants, black shirt - they match right? THAT IS A BIG NO-NO. This outfit is known as the bodysuit. I asked my friend if blue pants go with a blue shirt and she said, "Sure, if you are a bobsledder".
5. Fitted is good, snug is dicey, tight is just wrong. I am fortunate to have a V shaped back. The problem with having a V shaped back is if I don't get fitted shirts, there is so much extra fabric hanging over my belt line when I tuck a shirt in, it looks like I have a donut around my waste. Also, it doesn't matter how fit you are, no one wants to see what you have going on underneath a shirt, so don't wear those tight shirts.
6. Your pant legs should almost touch the floor with shoes off. The pants that are shorter are still called FLOODS, and they are still not in style.
Am I up on the most fashionable trends? No. But at least nowadays I put some thought into how I dress. Going from having women roll their eyes or snickering at my dressing to getting compliments for it is a great feeling. It's amazing what two minutes of thought into dressing can do for you.