My Homemade Papaya and Mango Body Scrubs and Facial Masks
Papayas and mangoes are tropical fruits that are abundant in my home country Philippines. As I am here spending my winter time in my home country, I enjoyed eating papayas, mangoes and other tropical fruits which are in season. Those fruits are cheap at the moment from 30-60 Pesos ( 1€=58 Philippines Peso) per kilo. I don´t even have to buy the papayas. A papaya tree is behind my house bearing lots of fruits. Sometimes there are plenty to be eaten that I have to find a way to use them. I hate wasting food, so I create something.
Papaya and mango body scrub and facial mask recipes are the fruits of my creative mind to avoid wasting food that they could still be of use in one way or another. Be it in making a cake, smoothies and making fruit salads.
Papaya, A Tropical Fruit
What is papaya?
Papaya is a tropical fruit which is oblong in shape, green when unripe and has a lot of small black seeds inside. The color of the papaya will form from green into orange when it becomes ripe.
Green papaya is usually used for cooking soups and in making salads or pickles while ripe papaya is eaten as fruit salad, smoothie, milk shake, ice candy, ice cream, cupcake, cake and any other kind of desserts.
Papaya, A Healthy Fruit
This is everything you know about this healthy and delicious fruit. A health guide using papaya fruit.
The Health Benefits of Papaya
- Papaya contains papain, an enzyme which is good as a natural exfoliant for dry and mature skin.
- It has a Vitamins A, C and E.
- It has a lot of antioxidants which helps fight against the free radicals of our body.
- It helps get rid of age spots a mature woman can have.
- It gives a smooth, glowing, radiant and younger looking skin.
- It is a good moisturizer.
- It whitens the skin.
Simple Papaya Body ScrubClick thumbnail to view full-size
Simple Papaya Body Scrub
What you need:
4 length slices of hulled papayas, the "waste" of your papaya fruit.
- Shower your body and face first.
- Rub the inner part of hulled papaya "waste" on your skin including your face.
- Let it stay for 10 minutes on your skin. Then shower it off.
- No need to use a lotion afterwards as your skin will feel so soft and radiant.
Papaya and Calamansi Body Scrub
3 tablespoons of mashed ripe papaya fruit
1-2 drops of Lavender or Neroli essential oil (optional)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 Calamansi (small lemon) juice
Always make a skin test to know if you are allergic to any kind of essential oil you´re going to use. Just rub a drop of the essential oi on your pulse and let it stay for an hour or 2. If your skin reacted, like being red and itchy on the rubbed skin, then you are allergic to it. Don´t use it.
How To Do It:
- Mix the mashed ripe papaya fruit, brown sugar, calamansi juice and Lavender or Neroli essential oil in a bowl.
- Rub the Papaya and Calamansi body scrub gently on your skin including your face after a cleansing shower.
- Let it stay on your skin for about 10 minutes and then shower it off your body.
- Pat your wet body dry with a towel and apply a body moisturizer if you still have a dry skin.
Papaya and Calamansi Body ScrubClick thumbnail to view full-size
Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender Essential Oil
Lavender Essential Oil is one of the best oil mixed into a basic beauty mixture but it should be 100% pure. I use this essential oil for mixing my papaya body and facial scrub. The fragrance is overwhelming.
Papaya Honey Facial MaskClick thumbnail to view full-size
A Simple Papaya Facial Mask
- 2 tbsp. mashed ripe papaya
- 1tsp. honey
How To Apply It:
- Mix the mashed ripe papaya with honey in a small bowl well.
- Apply this mixture with the use of a brush on your cleansed face.
- Let it stay for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse it well with a lukewarm water.
- Pat your face dry with a face towel and apply a day or a night cream after that.
What is Mango
Mango is a tropical fruit which is oblong or oval in form, green when it´s unripe and yellow to golden yellow when it´s ripe. It is a fleshy fruit and has a big seed inside. An unripe mango is sour while the ripe one is sweet. Mango is known to be one of the super foods besides papaya and avocado.
There are different kinds of mangoes which are also in different sizes. It depends where they are planted. The smallest mango is 2 inches long and 1 inch wide and the biggest I know of is around 12 cm long and 6 cm wide.
Uses of Mango Fruits
- For making fruit salads.
- For making a healthy smoothie and juice.
- Baking mango fruit cake.
- Mango ice cream.
- Include mango fruit pieces to your yogurt dessert.
- Making mango jam or marmalade.
- Mango cream sauce.
- DIY Facial masks.
- DIY Body scrubs.
Mango and Honey Facial MaskClick thumbnail to view full-size
Easy Mango Body Scrub and Facial Mask
1 ripe mango
1 teaspoon honey
- Wash the whole mango.
- Cut the whole mango lengthwise on both sides.
- Scoop the mango fruits from the cut mango sides. Mash 2 tablespoon of the scooped mango in a saucer by using a fork or a blender and add 1 teaspoon of honey. Mix them well. Set aside as this is your facial mask.
- Don´t throw the skin, you´ll use it for the body scrub.
- Peel off the skin on both sides of the seed and put the seed on a plate together with the scooped skin.
- Use the hulled inner parts of the mango skins and the seed in scrubbing your washed and moisty skin. You can start with your arms, neck, shoulder and downward of your body. Let it stay for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, apply your easy facial mask (no.3) on your face with the use of a facial brush. (Of course you can do the facial mask first before the body scrub.) Don´t forget to apply the mask on your neck as well. Let it stay for 10 minutes.
- While waiting, you can eat the remaining mango fruits.
- Then rinse your face and body with lukewarm water and pat dry with a towel.
Have you tried using mangoes and papayas in
Success Of The Experiment
Experimenting those papaya and mango body scrubs and facial masks was a great success. My skin felt smooth, radiant and vibrant after those treatments. Although I´m not fond of whitening my skin, the color was indeed a bit lightened compared to before applying those body scrubs and facial masks.Those treatments were very good to my dry and mature skin.
All the recipes here are my own and was well thought of. It´s not only cheap but healthy as I used the normal products. I would say an organic product as I used the papaya fruits from my own garden. Of course the mangoes are from the market which I think is "normal" produced as well.
Health Benefits of Mango
Hubs About Fruits
- Fruit Snack Mix Recipe
Fruit Snack Mix is one of the healthiest snack you can eat whether you are at home, in the office, in a picnic or as a take away for your kids in going to school.
- Mango Strawberry Cream Dessert
Mango Strawberry Cream Dessert is a delicious dessert you can serve for your family at dinner time. It´s easy to make and you need only 5 ingredients to make this recipe.
© 2014 Thelma Alberts