Plus Size White Dresses
Me Wearing A White Summer Dress
White is the summer colour by excellence. You cannot spend the summer without owning at least one white dress. White flowy dresses give you a fresh look regardless of your age and shape. The all white look always adds a hint of sophistication to any woman.
If you wear plus size clothing, maybe you are concerned about wearing white and you do prefer to stick to darker colours such as black, dark brown and navy. Let me tell you that your size is not a major factor on whether you can dare wear white or not. More important than your size is your skin tone. White looks amazing on those women with hot skin tones, that is why you look so great during summer when you are tanned and you wear white clothes.
Queen Latifah Wearing A White Dress
Wearing A White Dress
Most women can wear the all white look; it all depends on how you wear it. If you have a pale complexion, you could wear white provided that you add warm coloured accessories near your face to counteract the harshness of white against your skin. A bright coloured summer scarf for example will change a washed out look into a “look how stunning I am” look.
Plus Size Classic Embellished Knit Dress, in White
Plus size Model Tara Lynn for the French ELLE magazine
Plus Size Model Tara Lynn Wearing White
A few months ago, in April 2010, the French ELLE magazine launched its first ever plus size issue featuring plus size model Tara Lynn. Just look at the Elle cover on the right, Tara looks sublime wearing a white “combi suit”.
Ordinarily you would not have thought that an all white look would suit a plus size figure, but as you can see, worn with the right accessories the white look can also be worn by plus size women.
Pay attention to the accessories. See the contrasting brown high heel shoes; they add height making Tara look slimmer. The thin belt emphasizes her waistline giving her an hourglass shape, defining her waist. The oversized handbag in contrasting colour also adds to the overall look. Tara is a big girl and big accessories like an oversized handbag suit her silhouette.
Celebrity stylist Susan Moses says: “White does not make you look larger if you find the right pieces, just as black will not make you look smaller if it doesn’t fit properly”
Can Plus Size Women Wear White Dresses?
White dresses are a must in Summer, but if you are worried about wearing white because you wear plus size clothes, let me tell you that you too can look gorgeous in white. If you have any doubts about white dresses being suitable for plus size women, you just need to look at the pictures of plus size celebrities below. Whether they are wearing cocktail dresses, night dresses or even white swimwear, they all look fantastic because they know how to wear white clothing to enhance their looks.
Plus Size Celebrities Wearing The All White Look
Crochet white dress from Torrid
Floral crochet meets a curve-loving sheath silhouette with a double V-neck for a sexy-but-sweet style.
Tips for Wearing Plus Size White Dresses
- Find a suitable cut for your body shape. You should aim to dress for your shape - not size- Look for clothing that shapes and contours your body.
- If you have thin arms, you can wear a sleeveless white dress. On the contrary, if you have flabby arms, you would be better wearing some kind of sleeve, preferably a cut that covers and doesn’t cling to your arms.
- Most plus size women benefit from a low cut dress. The low cut will make your neck look longer and your face slimmer.
- Find a length that suits you. If you are very tall, a longer dress will look better on you than in a shorter woman. Whatever length you choose just make sure it is not too short.
- Go for quality fabrics that make you feel confident and comfortable.
- Do not forget to add a pop of colour!
Self tanning lotions
More Tips for Wearing Plus Size White Dresses
- Make sure you have a tan, whether natural or faked. White looks stunning on tanned skins.
- Make sure that you choose an opaque fabric. White tends to be see-through, and showing your underwear will just look tacky.
- Avoid clinging materials. Anything that hugs your curves too tightly will look bad in white if you wear a plus size. Give preference to flowy materials that just hang gracefully from your curves. Notice the white swimsuit worn above by plus size model Crystal Renn, it does not cling to her curves, it drapes around her figure giving a more flattering outcome.
"Marilyn" Convertible Dress - Monif C
- Slimming Underwear
Have you ever fancied looking a size smaller without having to starve yourself or exercise until there is no life left in you? If that is the case, then you might have considered wearing corrective or...
What underwear to wear with a plus size white dress?
- Wear slimming underwear. I will never get tired of advising women to wear slimming underwear. Good fitting underwear can make all the difference between sleek and tacky. Panties that hold your tummy tightly will make your lower body look much sleeker than if you wear a g-string which might be more fashionable and sexy but will leave all your bulges hanging loose. The same goes for a good fitting bra.
- Wear skin colour underwear. Skin-toned underwear will ensure that nothing peeps through to draw the eye to the wrong place.
Remember, it is not sexy or even flattering –maybe unless you are 15 years old- to wear bright coloured or patterned underwear with a white dress.
Flirty fit and flare silhouette is one of our favorite styles this season.
More Tips For Wearing A White Dress
Go for funky shoes to complement your white dress. Unless you are wearing a white wedding dress I would not advise wearing matching white shoes. Let your imagination fly and wear a pair of gladiator style sandals, orange shoes, or wedges. Even flip flops look great with casual white dresses.
Accessorize your white dress according to the mood you are in or the look you want to create. What about a wooden necklace and bracelets for an ethnic look? Gold and Silver jewellery will add glamour to any white dress while a blue scarf and matching ballerinas will create a nautical look so fashionable this season.