- Fashion and Beauty»
- Shaving & Hair Removal
Pros and Cons of Depilatories
Unwanted hair can be hard to get rid of. There are so many options you can choose to free your body from stubborn hair, such as shaving, epilators, waxing and depilatories. Depilatories are a cream that you apply to the skin, leave on for a set time, and then wipe off. It dissolves the hair deeper than what a razor could get. Here are some pros and cons to using a depilatory.
- Simple: Most depilatories only require the cream and a few minutes of your time. You just have to rub the cream on and let it sit. Depilatories are easy to get used to.
- Cheap: Depilatories are relatively cheap. They range from $5 to $10 dollars.
- Longer Smoothness: While depilatories don't keep unwanted hair away longer than waxing or epilating, they do keep it away longer than shaving. Some depilatories claim to stop hair from showing for a whole week.
- Fast: Depilatories are an incredibly quick alternative to waxing or epilating. They can work in as little as 3 minutes. People with thicker hair should keep the cream on for a little longer than recommended. Most depilatories do not exceed 15 minutes.
- Irratating: There are many different kinds of depilatories and they all have different ingredients within them. Some of them are quite irritating to the skin. Some may even cause allergic reactions. Make sure to do a test area before lathering a depilatory over your whole body.
- Smell: Not all, but most depilatories have a rather strong smell. If you can find one you like, then that is just a plus, but most people do not enjoy the scents of depilatories.
- Messy: As you can imagine, rubbing cream all over your legs, or anywhere else for that matter, can get quite messy. After you become more experienced, though, this becomes less of a problem
- Effectiveness: All depilatories do not work for all people. Some depilatories don't even work for all hair types of the same person. For example, a certain depilatory can do wonders for a users leg hair, but not work on that same users underarm hair. There is a lot of trial and error when buying depilatories.