- Fashion and Beauty»
- Shaving & Hair Removal
Pros and Cons of Epilating
Unwanted hair can be hard to get rid of. There are so many options you can choose to free your body from stubborn hair, such as depilatories, waxing, shaving and epilators. Epilators are handheld devices that have a set of tiny tweezers that pull out body hair from the root. Here are some pros and cons to using an epilator.
- Extended Smoothness: Because an epilator pulls out body hair from the root, your skin stays smooth for much longer than shaving. The length of time the hair is gone is equivalent to waxing.
- At-Home Use: Unlike waxing, which is better performed in a salon, an epilator is encouraged to use at home. You can do it on your own time and at your own pace.
- Cheap: The initial purchase of an epilator may seem expensive, but they are cheaper than multiple visits to a waxing salon. If the epilator lasts long enough, then it may even be cheaper than multiple razors and shaving creams.
- No Cuts: You can't cut yourself, like you could with a razor. You also can't burn yourself, like you could with waxing. It is a safe at-home practice.
- Painful: If you are epilating an area with thick hair, then it can be painful. However, pain will decrease with time as your body becomes familiar with the feeling of epilating. After the initial epilation, hair will also grow back in different phases which can mean less hair would be epilated at a time.
- Replacements: Some epilators require replacements every so often. You also need to think of the possibility of the epilator breaking
- Charging/Plugged in: Epilators need to be charged or plugged in at time of use. For epilators that need to be charged, sometimes they don't hold their charge for very long. For epilators that need to be plugged in, the plug can become a nuisance.
- Time Consuming: Epilation can take a long time, especially on large areas of the body, like the legs. The first time will probably take the longest. Some epilators have bigger heads than others and, therefore, can cover a larger area at one time.