- Fashion and Beauty»
- Makeup & Cosmetics
Recipe for Making Your Own Citrus Lip Gloss
Liquid Lip Gloss
Solid Lip Gloss
Glossy Lip Gloss ~
Homemade lip gloss with a refreshing flavour of citrus is incredibly easy to make. Gloss is designed to give a glossy lustre to the lips and I have used it both professionally and personally for many years.
A definite must have item for all women, it is a very versatile product, and lip gloss may be worn alone for subtle color and lustre or used to give a more moisturized intense colour over lipsticks.
Lip Gloss comes in 3 different forms
- In a soft squeezable plastic tube which is designed to allow for spreading of the gloss when passed over the lips.
- In a long cylindrical or oblong plastic bottle that comes with a built in brush or sponge tipped applicator.
- Solid gloss is the type that comes in compact or small container form and needs to applied with a lip brush or sponge applicator.
Using the fingers to apply lip gloss is not a method I would recommend.
Hands are a breeding ground for germs and by putting your fingers in the product only spreads bacteria.
Even a cotton bud as an applicator is better to use than fingers. Another reason not to stick fingers into your gloss is inevitably too much product is lifted out and is therefore wasteful.
1950's Max Factor
The Cosmetic Legend ~
The godfather of the cosmetic world (in my opinion) Max Factor was responsible for bringing lip gloss to the market in 1930 and credited with other innovations in the cosmetic world through the years including the first ever colorless mascara.
He is known throughout the cosmetic world for being the original film make up guru and wanted to make a gloss for the big screen.
As women took inspiration from the movie actresses, the demand for lip glosses was such that the first available line he produced commercially was in 1932.
The rest is history and Max Factor subsequently was responsible for introducing top makeup products such as pan-stik foundation, cream puff powder and mascaras to the commercial market that have stood the test of time.
I worked for Max Factor and I have to say to this day I still use his mascaras which I believe to be the best ever and would never deviate to another brand.
Lip Gloss Makes A Great Party Favour
Mac Lip Gloss
Flavored Lip Gloss ~
Color and flavour on your lips is a wonderful combination that is a multimillion dollar industry for the cosmetic companies today.
A must have duo in makeup for teens, the line between lip gloss and lip balm can be blurred sometimes, particularly when flavours are introduced, as many lip balms are flavoured.
Citrus flavors refers to Grapefruit, Lime, Lemon and Orange and are often combined with each other (such as Limon, a mix of lemon and lime) to make gorgeous fresh zingy flavors that make you want to eat them instead of wearing them!
Whilst many commercial brands do use natural ingredients they are often combined with preservatives or animal by-products.
At home you are in control of what you put into your gloss and the ingredients used are common ones found in kitchen cupboards, fridges or easily purchased in health food stores or online.
Making your own citrus lip gloss is quick, easy and makes great gift ideas, party favors or even stocking fillers for young girls who are never too young for a touch of gloss!
Easy Organic Lip Balm (Flavored)
Lippy Poll ~
Would you make your own flavored lip gloss?
Recycle an Old Contact Lense Case into a Bling Lip Gloss Container!
- DIY Blinged Out Contact Lens Case
Learn how to make this super cute bling covered contact lens case with this easy, step by step tutorial. I have also included some clever ideas for alternate uses for your new sparkly case.
Citrus Lip Gloss Recipe (colorless) ~
3 tbsp sweet almond oil
2 tsp beeswax pearls
1 tsp honey
1tsp aloe vera gel
7 drops vitamin E oil
3 drops tangerine edible essential oil
4 drops lemon edible essential oil
What You Will Need:
electric hand mixer
small glass jars or plastic containers (old contact lens cases are great)
- Melt the beeswax with the almond oil gently on the stove. Stirring continuously keep it on a low to medium heat (to prevent burning the mixture) until all the beeswax is melted.
- Stir in vitamin E and honey and stir well until the mixture is a creamy yellow color.
- Add the aloe vera gel and essential oils or flavored oils and beat well with the spoon.
- If you require a lighter texture, beat with the electric mixer.
- Pour the liquid into the containers and allow to set. This will take approximately 2-3 hours. Store in a cool dry place and use the gloss as required.
- As this is virtually colorless, it is ideal to use with a lip brush over lipsticks, lip stains or lip tints to add a glossy lustre which is nourishing, moisturizing and smells heavenly.
Word of Caution –
Essential Oils can be photosensitive which means extra caution should always be taken if using in homemade lip gloss or any lip product. You don’t want to end up with sunburnt lips. Edible Essential oils and lip safe ingredients should be used. Never use fragrances but flavoured oils instead.
Orange - A Popular Flavored Lip Gloss
Homemade Colored Lip Gloss
DIY Beauty From The Author ~
- Chocolate Facial Mask Recipe
Chocolate is an ingredient rich in benefits to the skin, contrary to popular belief. Using it in a DIY facial mask leaves the skin soft, supple, toned and much much more so read on to find out the benefits of using chocolate in skin care.
- Olive Oil Moisturizer Recipe
Did you know Virgin Olive Oil as a skin moisturizer is one of the best moisturizers and natural skin care products you can use?
- How to Get Beautiful Eyelashes and Eyebrows with Castor Oil
Are you longing for thicker longer eyelashes? Are your eyebrows in need of some help? Beautiful eyelashes and eyebrows can be yours by using castor oil nightly.
Citrus Lip Gloss With Color ~
flavored drinks crystals or flavored oils (any of the citrus flavors)
powder or cream blush
You Will Need:
small clean container for lip gloss
lip brush (for mixing ingredients)
- Fill your container pot with petroleum jelly as it gives you an indication of how much will fill the container.
- Transfer the petroleum jelly to the bowl and put in the microwave for 20-30 seconds until fully melted.
- Add the drink crystals or flavoured oils of choice. Pick one of the citrus flavors, orange will give you a lovely pale tangerine color and flavour. For the other citrus fruits, you will need to add whatever color powdered blush or cream blush you want in order to achieve the required lip gloss shade.
- Add a small amount of blush to your mixture stirring well. If you want a stronger color add some more and mix well until even.
- The color and flavour depth is up to you just remember to mix thoroughly until even and smooth in appearance.
- Transfer to your container and allow to cool completely before using.
Lip Gloss Tips ~
- Keeping the lips conditioned and protected against the elements is important and an area of skin care often forgotten about but so important, particularly in winter months. Soft, supple lips improve the appearance and performance of all lip color products and a weekly lip sugar scrub to re-condition dry lips is easy to do at home and will make you lip smacking’ irresistible!
- Going to a party or out on the town and want to shake thing up a bit? Add a little glitter, shimmering body gel, stick on crystals or anything to add the wow factor to your lip gloss. Apply glitter and body gels in tiny amounts with a lip brush or even an eyeliner brush and build up to the intensity you want. Remember the golden rule in makeup – It’s easier to add than take away!
Lil Mama - Lip Gloss
Author Info ~
Information on the author, her bio and full body of works available @ Suzie HQ
Credit to homesteadbound ~
All dividers used in this hub are used with permission granted on hub, Creating Dividers to Use on Your Hubs