How to Make Your Own Body Scrubs
Written by: Jaclyn Popola
If you've visited a shopping mall in the past several years, chances are you've been stopped and accosted by a Mediterranean man working one of the little booths. Sea salt scrubs supposedly made by the therapeutic salt found in the Dead Sea are growing in popularity in the Western world. But you don't need to spend $60 or travel across the planet to get your hands on a jar. In fact, for several dollars you can achieve the exfoliating effects of sea salt without even leaving your home -- by making your own.
These types of sea salt exfoliators are not meant to be used on the face (the face requires a much gentler scrub). They are great for buffing dry skin off of elbows, knees, ankles and arms. For best results, scrub the sea salt into the rough areas of your skin while showering. This will slough the dead skin off and cleanse your skin to allow essential oils to be absorbed.
In addition to being a cost-effective way of saving money, homemade body scrubs make great gifts. They look great packaged in the hinged fruit-preserving jars with rubber rims; you can buy them at any craft or homegoods store. You can even order and print your own labels at www.myownlabels.com.
SEA SALT SCRUB
- 2 tablespoons sea salt (exfoliant)
- 3 teaspoons grated ginger (warms when scrubbed to improve circulation)
- 1 finely grated lime peel
- 6 slices of cucumber, chopped (acts as a coolant)
- 1/2 fl.oz. almond oil
GREEN TEA SCRUB
- 2 tablespoons green tea leaves
- 1 tablespoon uncooked brown rice with the husk still on
- 1 teaspoon honey (binds the scrub together)
- 1/2 fl.oz. sweet almond oil
JO'S HOMEMADE SCRUB
Josephine Fairley, author of The Beauty Bible, offers a recipe for her own homemade scrub.
Into a large jar, pour:
- 16 oz. brown sugar (sensitive skin) OR salt
- 5 1/4 fl.oz. grapeseed oil
- 3 1/2 fl.oz. sweet almond oil
Drop by drop, add:
- 25 drops neroli essential oil
- 10 drops sandalwood essential oil
- 10 drops sweet orange essential oil
- 10 drops ylang-ylang essential oil
- 5 drops patchouli essential oil
Put the lid on the jar and shake well. Apply by hand while in the shower, and you shouldn't even need a moisturizer afterwards.