- Fashion and Beauty
Shoes: The Vanity of Women
"I did not have three thousand pairs of shoes, I had one thousand and sixty." (Imelda Marcos)
How many pairs of shoes do you have?
Imelda Marcos, the wife of the late Ferdinand Marcos who became one of the presidents of the Philippines, was well known for her plenty of shoes. Actually, it is not only Imelda who wanted to have many pairs of shoes but all normal women do want. Women love shoes. While men love gadgets and cars, we, as part of the female specie love to collect shoes. There is even a time that we have various collection of shoes yet, we actually wore only half of that collection. Talking about women's vanity, eh.
My Shoe Vanity
- Vanity of Vanities: The Shoe Story: Women's Love For Shoes
We, women may love shoes but the question is; do they love us back?
Wanna Buy Shoes?
- In Chinese culture, one of the bride's red shoes is tossed from the roof to ensure happiness for the bridal couple. :)
- While thong sandals were commonly worn, many people in ancient times, such as the Egyptians, Hindu and Greeks, saw little need for footwear because most of the time they preferred being barefoot.
- A shoe salesman in Hallam, Pennsylvania named Mahlon Haines, built a house shaped like a work boot as a form of advertisement. It is called the Haines Shoe House and was rented to newlyweds and the elderly until the death of Mahlon in 1962.
- It is a Hebrew custom that the widow removed the shoe of her late husband's brother to symbolize that he had abandoned his duty.
- While in Arab custom, the removal of one's shoe symbolized the dissolution of marriage. Showing the sole of your shoe is considered an insult, and throwing your shoe and hitting someone with it is considered an even greater insult.
- In Greek culture, empty shoes are the equivalent of the American funeral wreath. For instance, empty shoes placed outside of a Greek home would tell others that the family's son has died in battle.
- Shoe - Wikipedia
A shoe is an item of footwear intended to protect and comfort the human foot while doing various activities...