Beauty is viewed differently in different parts of the world. In North America tanned, beautiful, glowing skin is our vision of beauty but bathing in the sun for hours on end can lead to skin damage. An alternative to sun tanning is a spray tan, which is getting more popular because you get fast results and you do not get the risks you would with sun tanning.
Sun tanning (including tanning beds) can causes skin aging, skin damage, and sunspots through the UV light so getting a spray tan is a great alternative to get the beautiful bronze skin. With a spray tan, you can either go into an automatic spray tanner booth or you can get a professional with a spray gun to spray your body with a chemical called DHA (dihydroxyacetone.) All tanning solutions have DHA in it, which includes tanning lotions and creams, home spray tans, tanning pills. DHA is FDA approved to be used in all beauty products. Even though it is FDA approved, FDA has not approved it safe to inhale or induce orally though you will most likely inhale some when you are getting a spray tan you must be careful and try not to inhale the product as much as possible. Getting a spray tan done professional is recommended versus getting it done in a tanning booth as a professional can see where you need more tanning, avoid your eyes and nose as much as possible so you don’t inhale the product, and make sure all the creases is filled.
Spray tanning is the quickest way to get the tanned look within the one session, even though it is recommended that you do get more then one session as it builds a base coat and the tan will last longer. With tanning beds and tanning in natural sunlight you need to build a base coat slowly and slowly build up the tan which can take three or four sessions before you see any results and can take more then five sessions to get the tan shade that you desire. Spray tanning you need to only go in once and it lasts anywhere from 3 – 10 days, each spray tan session take about 5 minutes long (though it is recommended that you go in more then once.) While a tan from a tanning bed can last up to two weeks but you do need to go in more then once to get the tan you want and depending on what kind of tanning bed you are using or if you are sunbathing in the sun the time will be different. Spray tans usually cost around 50 dollars to get a professional to spray you down and tanning beds will charge you by the minute (anywhere from $1.25 CND to $2.00 CND a minute.)
If you do not want to get a professional to spray tan there is the option to get a spray tan at home by yourself as well you can have a professional come to your house to spray tan you as well. There are a lot of mobile spray tanners or airbrush tanners available through Google search. If you choose to do it yourself at home all you need to do is buy a bottle of airbrush sunless tanning spray and the spray gun (some doesn’t need a spray gun and it sprays straight from the bottle.) The only hard part is making sure your tan is even and smooth, not leaving any blotches and streaks, throughout your body because you cannot see everything and it is harder for you to reach some places by yourself.
For a UV free tan that is fast, spray tanning is a great option. To make your tan last make sure you learn the upkeep of a spray tan pre and post tanning session.
- Wear lip balm, nose plugs, and ear plugs while spray tanning
- Close your eyes as much as possible
- Close your lips as much as possible
- Do not shower for the first 24 hour after a spray tan
- Try to stay indoors or covered in the first 24 hours after a spray tan
- Wear lots or high SPF for the first 24 hours after a spray tan
- Exfoliate as least as possible to make the tan last
- Exfoliate before you go for your spray tan (takes off a layer of dead skin and will make the spray tan last longer)
- Shave as least as possible after a spray tan
- Moisturize after you shower
- Wear lotion on parts of your body that you want it not be as tanned as other parts (bottom of feet, palms of hands, elbow, and knees)
- Wear loose clothes
- Wear clothes that you do not mind staining (though most spray tans usually do wash out but just to be on the safe side)
- If you need to wax, wax at least 24 hours before your spray tanning session