ArtsAutosBooksBusinessEducationEntertainmentFamilyFashionFoodGamesGenderHealthHolidaysHomeHubPagesPersonal FinancePetsPoliticsReligionSportsTechnologyTravel

Stainless Steel vs Sterling Silver in Mens Jewelry

Updated on April 13, 2014

When most people think about jewelry, they initially think about women.

However, Men's Jewelry sales comprise 10% of all worldwide jewelry sales - and that figure is expected to greatly increase over the next several years. This is because more and more men are deciding to wear rings, bracelets, chain necklaces, and other pieces of jewelry.

Let's check the classic silver aka sterling silver or 925 sterling silver vs the modern stainless steel:

Sterling Silver Jewelry

What is sterling silver? Silver, in its natural form is much too soft to be able to be used for jewelry (or much of anything, for that matter). So, the silver is alloyed with other metals to make it stronger-thereby creating ‘sterling silver.' It contains no more than 7.5% of the other metals, meaning that it is at least 92.5% pure. This is why you can find ‘925' stamped or engraved on every sterling silver piece.

Advantages of sterling silver:

* This metal is quite easy for jewelry-makers to work with; therefore, it is simpler for them to create more intricate types of pieces with sterling silver.

* The tarnish that can develop on sterling silver is well-liked by some people.

Disadvantages of sterling silver:

* The aforementioned tarnish is not so well-liked by other people; some people dislike how sterling silver looks as it ages.

* Because this material is so soft, it is susceptible to dings, dents, and scratches.

Stainless Steel Jewelry

What is stainless steel? It is a steel alloy made up of a certain percentage of chromium. There are actually about 150 different types of stainless steel-the type used for jewelry is not the same as the stainless steel used for your travel coffee mug or for your kitchen appliances. Each type has a different chemical make-up.

Advantages of stainless steel:

* Stainless steel pieces will not oxidize or tarnish at all.

* Many people find it to be shinier than sterling silver because it offers great light reflection when it is polished to look like chrome.

* Stainless steel can also be brushed to look like pewter, too.

* Stainless steel is extremely durable and will resist dents, scratches, and chips better than most any other jewelry material.

* The cost of stainless steel is quite affordable - much more so than jewelry pieces made from other materials.

Disadvantages of stainless steel:

* People may know that you have not spent a lot of money on a piece of jewelry (this may or may not be an issue for some jewelry wearers).

Looking over these characteristics, it is pretty easy to see why most men are turning toward stainless steel for jewelry pieces more often nowadays. Perhaps you should give it a try?

What's Your Metal?

See results

Comments

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    • tomerr profile image
      Author

      tomerr 8 years ago from Far Far Away...

      I think that women will always be more in to it, but it really great to see how many men, of almost all ages are in to jewelry these days.

    • profile image

      jewelry 7 years ago

      stainless steel and jewelry suits very well to men.

    • profile image

      Valdo 7 years ago

      i like stearling silver because its brighter than steel

      and just overall looks higher class.

    • profile image

      Robert G 7 years ago

      Uhh Hellooo. Stainless steel is worth about $3.00 a pound.

      Sterling silver is about $250 an ounce.

    • profile image

      Mens Stainless Steel Rings 5 years ago

      Mens stainless steel rings are certainly the choice of men these days. It's very affordable and made of quality materials that ensures its longevity.

    • profile image

      lidkexejpifey 4 years ago

      Hello here

      tomerr.hubpages.com is a good forum

      I spent 6 hours searching in the network, until find your forum! I think, I shall stay here for a long time!

    • Elias Zanetti profile image

      Elias Zanetti 3 years ago from Athens, Greece

      Very interesting! I had no idea about all these! Voted up, useful&interesting!

    • profile image

      Hoabyjaberele 3 years ago

      Hey guys just wanted to tell you all about my new blog, its all about how to make money fast, so if you have 2 minuites have a quick read and tell me what you think. my sources

    Click to Rate This Article