- Fashion and Beauty»
Style Icon: Get Brigitte Bardot's Style
Brigitte Bardot is one of my favorite 60's style icons of all time. And not just because she's French, which makes one automatically sexier, but because of her fabulous hair and beach-chic apparel. Although Bardot has done quite a lot with animal and political activism, I will focus solely on her lasting impact on global fashion.
Brigitte Anne-Marie Bardot was an aspiring ballet dancer but became an actress instead. She was also a fashion model and singer. She was considered the first and most liberated woman in post-war France, which I believe the way she flitted from man to man and her fearless 40th birthday cover for Playboy Magazine.
Today, she is 76, and has greatly impacted the world of style all around the globe.
Brigitte Bardot Style Must!
Brigitte loved her short shorts! She wore them before they became an acceptable clothing staple for women. She was criticized by American conservatives who felt at her shorts were inappropriate. (Not that she cared what others thought about her.) Thanks to her style and short shorts, she *made* St. Tropez famous!
Try a pair of crisp white shorts yourself. Keep the look fairly simple. Want to class it up? Wear the shorts a bit longer. Above, Bardot wears them with a long-sleeve top to balance out the amount of skin being revealed.
Get the beach look: Let your hair dry naturally! Spritz some "fake beach hair spray" while it's damp and apply mousse. Want to lighten up like Bardot? Try it naturally: Squeeze a bunch of lemons into lemon juice. Apply all-over your hair and go sunning!
Get Brigitte Bardot's Beach Look
Get the Bardot Look!
When Bardot wasn't sunning her amazing body in the South of France, she was always impeccably dressed. She loved white or square framed sunglasses and coats with many buttons. She only ever wore tailored pieces too, which is genius.
Get Brigitte's look: Try a pair of white, square framed sunglasses. You don't have to buy vintage since they make these styles nowadays.
Choose a very fitted jacket with interesting buttons. Be sure the coat goes in at the waist, and use a belt that ties to cinch it in.
Get Brigitte Bardot's Look
Grab Your Bikini
The bikini swimsuit is so popular today thanks to Miss Bardot. She sported the tiniest bikinis to wherever there was sand and sun. Want the Brigitte Bardot bikini? Go with a white one, with a vintage-y top.
What else makes Brigitte Bardot a lasting style icon?
- Her "bee-hive" hairstyle is emulated by Hollywood starts today.
- The "Bardot-neckline", also known as a boat-neckline, was made popular by Miss Bardot. A Bardot neckline is when both shoulders are revealed.
- She was worshipped by the Beatles, John Lennon and Paul McCartney, Andy Warhol, and Bob Dylan.
- She has a tribute statue in Buzios, Brazil to honor all the sunbathing she did there.
Bardot's Euro Style
Brigitte was all about ease, comfort and fit when it came to style. I love her pants here at the right. It's so chic how they taper and are the perfect length. Go old-school and try this look on your next vacay! Get whimsical with the print!
Get Brigitte Bardot's Hair
The key to getting Brigitte Bardot's hair is lots of volume. You will need hairspray and a root lifter to spritz your hair before blow-drying. Use a comb to tease the roots to create that "Bardot Bump".
Get More Star Style Looks!
- Get Sarah Jessica Parker's Style
- Get Alexa Chung's Style: How to Dress Like Alexa Chung
- Hot Summer Fashion Trend: Nautical Fashion Trend
- Chanel Iman: Hot New Model
- Get Natalie Portman's Style
- How To Get Victoria Beckham's Style
- How To Wear Yellow: Hot Summer Fashion Trend
- 1950s Fashion Trend: Dress Like Cast of Mad Men
- How to Dress Like Kesha: Get Kesha's Style