- Fashion and Beauty»
- Body Art, Tattoos & Piercing
Tattoos for Women: Top 10 Tattoo Designs
A tattoo is an art form that involves applying pigment or ink into the dermis skin layer to signify something meaningful or simply for decorative purposes. Tattoos have been around for ages and were implemented by many cultures around the world. They are the symbols that represent many things that people conceived though life and are inked into designs that are tattooed as an expression of their personality, individuality, a remembrance, as well as other personal meanings. From the stone ages to today, tattoos have decorated many in a variety of ways revealing it as a true form of art. A design should be given some thought before deciding to get it tattooed, so you should be sure it is something that you want for the rest of your life. Don't get a design just because it looks good, tattoos should have meaning or a symbolic representation of something special. And to each individual a unique design should be preferred.
Some of the most popular areas for tattoos are upper back, lower back, and shoulder. When it comes to tattoo placement, one of the most important considerations is whether or not you want the tattoo to be readily seen. While it may seem obvious that you want to show off your tattoo (why get a tattoo if no one will see it?), this is actually something to think about. If you are in a profession that expects or demands a conservative appearance, it's important to select a location for your tattoo that can be covered by clothing.
If you are a rocker or rebel type, you might prefer the bolder, in-your-face elements of chest pieces or sleeves. Feeling exceedingly bold? Go for a neck or facial design.
If you are going for the sex appeal factor, there is something inherently sensual about a tattoo that is only seen by your intimate partner. The breasts, hip and inner thighs are all excellent locations for this.
Upper Back Tattoos:
Upper back tattoos are seen in a variety of sizes and styles. This area of the body is often used for larger pieces of body art. The upper back offers a larger flat area of skin canvas that allows space for one big tattoo or several smaller ones.
The shoulder blade area of the upper back is a popular place to have some wings inked. There are several types of wings that you may wish to consider for a wing tattoo.
- Angel Wings
- Bat Wings
- Gargoyle Wings
- Fairy Wings
Lower Back Tattoos:
Lower back tattoos are arguably some of the most fun tattoos to get and show off. The area lends itself to a variety of shapes, sizes, and designs and is one that can be easily shown off or hidden.
In the case of a lower back tattoo, there is plenty of space for a large design. The lower back, while not the widest point on the back, is fairly consistent and vast enough that most horizontal tattoo designs are able to be worked easily. There's no worry of how to cover it up for job interviews. Finally, it is a spot that is generally considered to be rather sexy.
- Horizontal or "V" designs, such as tribal, butterflies, hearts, and fairies with wings spread are some of the most popular, probably because the canvas of the lower back lends itself so well to them.
- But other smaller designs that can be centered such as suns, stars, crosses, hearts, and roses have also had a run of popularity.
The shoulder is actually the spot on the human body where the arm attaches to the torso. The area that most people are talking about when they are describing shoulder tattoos is the flat area on the upper back just over the scapula - commonly known as the "shoulder blade". Tattoos that are placed in this area can range from very small in size to quite large, and back pieces may even extend onto the area.
- Nautical themes, such as nautical stars, anchors and swallows, are all popular choices for shoulder tattoos.
- The shoulder is also seen as a good spot for memorial tattoos. This place is wide and flat enough to hold an image of a person's face, or something related to the deceased, as well as memorial dates.
- Women tend to use this spot for images like flowers, kanji, celestial themes and more exotic pictures.
Top 10 Popular Tattoo Design Ideas for Women
- Tribal tattoos: Women have come to recognize this design as being exotic and alluring. For more information read Top 10 Tribal Tattoo Designs for Women.
- Star tattoos: One of the most recognized symbol of many cultures, stars bear a long history in tattoos.
- Flower tattoos: Flowers are really precious to women as they accentuate beauty all by themselves.
- Zodiac tattoos: The star signs of the zodiac are very popular among both men and woman.
- Angel tattoos: The protection and comfortable feeling you get when thinking of angels is why so many adopt this spiritual being to tattoos.
- Heart tattoos: The symbol of life and love, a heart tattoo has always been a popular tattoo design.
- Fairy tattoos: An innocent and mischievous tattoo design is the fairy tattoos.
- Celtic tattoos: Much like the tribal, Celtic tattoos have become very popular amongst women due to the interweaving or interlocking patterns that make up this sophisticated design.
- Sun tattoos: One of nature’s important elements in the sustenance of life is the sun. It is a popular choice among women.
- Butterfly tattoos: A simple tattoo and a favorite among women.