The Best Hand Cream – What to look for and what to avoid
Every single day, our hands go through a lot. From simple tasks of holding and shaking hands to eating, opening doors, typing and even chopping wood. It is exposed to the ravages of our lifestyle, comes in contact with chemicals that harm the skin and is probably washed the most frequently. Over time, the loss of its natural oil, which keeps it hydrated, leads to dry, chapped and rough hands. While we spend a lot of time and money on creams for our face, we barely remember to take care of our hands. It is time we show our hands a little love and appreciate them.
Since there are a hundred different creams available in the market, it is very difficult to choose the right one. The cream you choose should not just have the requisite ingredients but it should suit your specific skin type as well. Though the search for the best hand cream for dry hands might take a little time and effort, it is definitely worth it and your hands will thank you for that.
Features of a good Hand Cream
The best hand creams, effectively:
1. Replace the lost moisture and then maintain the moisture balance
2. Heal irritated, rough and chapped skin of hands
3. Protect your hands from signs of aging and black spots
4. Shield the hands from the harmful UV rays
5. Nourish the cuticles and nails too
The hand cream you select must have an emollient base which provides sufficient moisture to the hands and prevents moisture from evaporating. It should contain high amounts of useful nutrients, vitamins and antioxidants which will have positive effects on the skin of your hands and ingredients to regulate the natural sebum level which prevents the hands from becoming dry. You will know you’ve the perfect cream when your hands will start feeling silky soft and more youthful.
Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream
Ingredients to look for
The best ingredients are all-natural and organic since they are similar to the natural oils of the body and are accepted well. Different creams have different compositions and are suitable for different skin types. The trick is to know what components really work and then find a cream that suits your skin type. The ingredients to look for are:
1. Functional Keratin: The most effective ingredient which enhances the moisture content of the skin by 20%. The skin’s moisture retention power is also improved by this protein. It gives your skin the deepest hydration since it is easily absorbed by the skin.
2. Cynergy TK: This is a product which has a mixture of antioxidants and functional Keratin and works wonders for your skin by healing, moisturizing and rejuvenating it deeply.
3. Phytessence Wakame: This natural ingredient, made from Japanese sea kelp, is quite effective in hydrating the skin. It does so by preserving hyaluronic acid, which is the primary means of retaining moisture in the skin.
4. Coenzyme Q10: This ingredient, often found in the best creams, helps in repairing skin damaged by the sun. Survey reveal that just after 6 weeks of its application, it reduces 26% dryness of the skin.
5. Shea butter: Most creams for dry skin come with a Shea butter base since it provides moisture without the greasiness.
6. Grapeseed Oil: Helps in retaining moisture in the skin by creating an invisible barrier. Also contains vitamin E which is excellent for the skin.
7. Jojoba Oil: Has a deep moisturizing effect on the skin by balancing the skin’s sebum production level.
8. Dimethicone and glycerin: Enhances the hydrating capability of creams.
9. Avocado oil: Has an anti-aging effect by stimulating collagen growth in skin.
10. Babassu palm wax, Maracuja passion fruit extract and Capuacu butter: Though not usually found in creams, these ingredients soothe and moisturize the skin deeply.
Ingredients to Avoid
1. Petroleum based ingredients like petrolatum or paraffin wax: These ingredients do not penetrate the skin, instead they form a greasy film on the surface of the skin and clog pores which leads to dirt and grime being collected. This cause blackheads and acne. The presence of these ingredients makes skin dry and flaky since it signals the skin to lower sebum production. Sebum is the natural oil which keeps your skin moisturized.
2. Chemical like parabens, dioxane, sulfates and ureas cause faster aging and skin irritation.
3. Fragrances which are usually made from petrochemicals and can affect the central nervous system. They also cause irritation.
4. Mineral oil: Harms the skin by striping it off natural oils. It doesn’t allow your skin to absorb essential vitamins by building up under the skin.
5. Alcohol: Dries the skin and promotes brown spots which usually appear on aging.
It is essential to find the right cream which nourishes your hands and prevents them from further drying.