- Fashion and Beauty»
- Hairstyles, Cool Cuts, How to Style Your Hair
Top 10 Mistakes to Avoid when Getting a Haircut
A haircut is the quickest are surest way to give your appearance a makeover. You don’t have to go in for a complete crop, just a few snips here and a couple of clips there are voila! You have a fresh, interesting hairdo that not only takes a couple of years off, but also makes you look sexy and stylish.
However, deciding on the perfect haircut proves to be quite a challenge for many women. Some flip through magazines for inspiration, some turn to the internet, some consult friends and some simply rely on their stylist.
We can never get enough information when it comes to hairstyles, right? Here is an amazing website that highlights the coolest hairstyle trends and even gives you easy-to-follow hairstyle tutorials. Check it out here: Get The Look
In spite of all the time spent in research and the energy spent in finding a good stylist, we do end up with unflattering hairstyles from time to time. This tells us that we’re doing something wrong along the way. If you’ve experienced this too, you’ll know what I’m talking about.
After paying careful attention to my own attitude while getting a haircut (and chatting with a couple of friends who are equally perceptive) I spotted a couple of mistakes I make repeatedly. I’ve listed them down here for all to see so that hopefully, when you go to get that routine crop, you’ll avoid these blunders like the plague!
Which is the most common mistake you make when getting a haircut?
- Opting for a hairstyle that looks great on those pretty cover girls, without checking whether it suits my hair type.
- Selecting beautiful, but high-maintenance haircuts. These look good only when your hair is styled and even the styling takes a lot of time, energy and tools.
- Hoping the haircut will change my hair texture rather than being realistic about my hair texture and choosing a hairstyle.
- Believing everything the stylist says. (I once ended up shelling out a whole 1500 bucks extra because a particularly smooth-talking stylist convinced me into trying out a ‘trendier, high-fashion’ haircut!)
- Losing my voice and vision when I sit on that ‘chair.’ It’s silly how I never say anything to the stylist when she’s cutting my hair. I can easily tell her what I feel is going wrong when she’s at it, but I just don’t!
- Waiting till the last minute to get a haircut. This is one of the worst mistakes you can make because then you have no option but to rely on the stylist. You’re in for big trouble if you’ve gone to any Tom, Dick and Harry of a stylist because you’re pressed for time.
- Going from long to too short. I did this once, and although I still don’t think it was a very bad decision, the sudden change in my appearance was a little difficult for people to take in. Their reactions made me a less happy and more unsure about my haircut. If I could go back in time, I would gradually reduce the length with each subsequent haircut till I had reached the desired length.
- Being impassive when deciding on a hairstyle. Take charge ladies! Be enthusiastic! After all, it’s your haircut and will make a world of a difference to not just how you look, about also how you feel. Communicate your desires and concerns to the stylist, talk to friends and scout the internet for the latest, low-maintenance hairstyle trends.
- Making impulsive decisions in the salon. Once you have a hairstyle in mind, stick to it. Give your stylist some leeway for minor modifications, but not major ones. Similarly, don’t go in for streaks or highlights without putting sufficient thought. Some stylists will try to convince you that a couple of streaks will look great and won’t take much time, but don’t give in unless you’re very sure about what you want.
- Not washing your hair before going to the salon. Although most stylists do this for you, they only do a top job. As a result, you’ll end up with sticky hair that won’t reveal the true nature of your haircut. So, wash your hair, especially your scalp well before your haircut. This will even help your stylist gauge the texture of your hair better.
Using a good shampoo and conditioner for washing your hair is very important. L'Oreal Paris has a range on enriching hair care products that not only care for your hair, but also fight against hair problems. Check out their range of hair care products here: L'Oreal Paris
Well, this is it from my end. Hope these pointers help you’ll get better, blunder-free haircuts. Happy Styling!
Oh! And if you selected 'My mistakes are not on this list' in the poll section, do let me know which mistakes these be by mentioning them in the comments section below.
Love your hair? Then you must take good care of your tresses. L'Oreal Paris has a range of wonderful products for your hair. Fight hair problems with these nourishing products. Check out the range of hair care products here: L'Oreal Paris