- Fashion and Beauty»
- Shaving & Hair Removal
Underarm Waxing: 5 Tips for Waxing Your Underarms (Armpits) at Home
Most women know what a pain shaving can be and that includes under your arms! I recently discovered the freedom that comes from underarm waxing (or armpit waxing to be less polite) and for me, there's no going back. While having your armpits waxed at a salon might be an option for some, for others of us, it's just too expensive at up to $50 an appointment.
Besides, doing your own armpit waxing at home is pretty convenient, relatively painless (compared to the mental pain of shaving every two days), not that expensive and can leave your underarms smooth for around two weeks although everyone is different on this.
While doing your own underarm waxing is pretty simple, it took me a couple of tries to perfect my technique. Read on for 5 underarm waxing tips you can use at home.
Underarm Waxing Tip #1
Make sure your hair is the right length
- Before you begin your underarm waxing, you want to make sure that your hair is the proper length. If it's too short, there will not be enough hair for the wax to stick to and if it's too long, the wax will get too stuck in the hair, creating a mess and making the hair harder to come off. Ideally, your hair should be around 1/4 inch long. If you need to, use a little pair of scissors to trim your hair down to this length. If it's too short, you'll just have to wait a bit longer!
Want to make money like I do writing articles like this one?
- Sign up for HubPages here - it's 100% free, no catches
It takes less than a minute to sign up and you can begin writing right away. Depending on the effort you put in, you can make a few dollars, a few hundred dollars, or even a few thousand dollars every month. It's a lot of work but it can be done!
Underarm Waxing Tip #2
Make sure your underarms are clean and dry
- Take the time to clean and dry your armpits well before you begin! If they're too sweaty, the wax will not stick properly to them. Make sure you don't have deodorant on either as the wax sometimes has a hard time sticking to it. Preparation is key!
Underarm Waxing Tip #3
Your underarm skin has to be pulled tight. Figure out how to do this
- I discovered the hard way that if you just hold your arm up enough to put the wax on and pull it off, that the wax doesn't come off very well because it gets stuck in the folds of your skin. What I do, is put my arm up high above my head and hold onto the top of a door and pull my body weight down. This way the skin is pulled as tightly as possible and I can then just apply the wax strip and pull! If you have someone who can help you, perhaps just get them to pull your skin tight and it might work just as well.
Underarm Waxing Tip #4
Use cold wax strips that come in a box, ready to use
- I have tried both hot wax and cold wax for my underarm waxing and I much prefer the cold wax strips! They're not as messy, they're more convenient and I just find that they work better because they seem to provide just the right amount of wax whereas with hot wax, it's very easy to use too much and then it just gets stuck and is hard to get off! There are many brands of cold wax strips available these days but the type that I like is by a brand called Parissa. Make sure you buy the type specifically for underarm waxing called Parissa Wax Strips Underarm, Bikini and Face (shown on right). This box comes with 3 different sizes and some are meant for bikini and face but if you don't need to wax there too, just use them all for your underarms! Experiment with what brand works best for you. I have found the wax of some brands to be so dry that it's pretty much useless.
Underarm Waxing Tip #5
Pull the wax strip off against the direction of hair growth
- This can be a bit tricky because unlike your legs, the hair under your arms often grows in all directions. This means that you will probably have to wax in all directions for best results. I recommend only doing a small area at a time and seeing what works best. I find that trying to do the whole underarm at one time doesn't work very well but if your underarms are not very hairy and the hair is not very coarse, you might be able to get away with it!
Do you prefer to wax or shave your underarms?
- A Stimulashfusion Review: Can this eyelash serum really make your eyelashes grow longer?
I had heard that there were eyelash serums on the market these days that are supposed to make your eyelashes grow longer and although I was intrigued, I didn't really believe that they could work...
Some final underarm waxing words of wisdom:
- Let's be honest here, while the pain is certainly manageable, it's going to hurt. A couple of times, I've had a bit of bleeding but nothing too bad and whether you even experience this or not will depend on how sensitive your skin is. You may find that taking a couple of Advil an hour before your waxing can help with the pain. I'm not a Doctor!
you're finished with your armpit waxing, a bit of wax will probably
still be stuck under there. Most cold wax strip kits like the one by
Parissa come with an oil based wax remover that works pretty well. I
usually also take a shower after I'm finished with my underarm waxing to
scrub off any remaining wax.
- I find it's pretty hard to get every single hair out so for any remaining stubborn hairs, I take a pair of tweezers and pull them out.
- The more you do this, the finer your hairs will become and the less it will hurt. This has certainly been true for me!
- 5 Brazilian Wax Tips for your Best Home Brazilian Wax Ever
You know what they say: Once you go Brazilian, you'll never go back. And it's true because once you've experienced that super clean smooth feel down there, nothing quite compares - certainly not trimming and certainly not shaving...