The Acne Cure in Your Medicine Cabinet: Vicks VapoRub
There is a household salve that can reduce the redness, inflammation and achiness of your acne. You might rub it on your chest when you are congested. And now you might rub it on your face.
Vicks VapoRub, that minty-smelling, petroleum jelly-like substance that has helped the masses breathe better at night is also an effective acne spot treatment. It works especially well for cystic acne and relieves cystic zits that haven't surfaced yet.
Here's what you do
It's not complicated. This is best done at night, before you go to bed.
1. If you don't have it, purchase some Vicks' VapoRub. If you don't know what it looks like, my 1.76 ounce jar of it is blue plastic with a lighter blue cap. I bought it at Wal-Mart for less than five dollars.
2. Wash your face with a gentle cleanser. I use Kavi's pink Coral soap, which has a little sulfur and salicylic acid in it.
3. Pat your face dry -- remember, you should NOT rub the towel over your face! That can cause tiny abrasions that allow oil in, increasing your chances of getting more acne.
4. Put some VapoRub on your finger and rub it directly on your acne. You can gob it on if you like, though it's not necessary. Use more than just a tiny, thin layer, though. DO NOT RUB IT ALL OVER YOUR FACE. I don't know what will happen if you do, but if anything, the smell would be overwhelming. Remember: Use it as a spot treatment.
5. Let it sit for 6-8 hours. This is why using it at night works ... let it do its magic while you sleep!
6. Wash your face in the morning. There will be some residual VapoRub on your face. If you have a morning anti-acne 'routine,' do it as you normally would.
7. Repeat 1-6 as needed. But you shouldn't have to do it more than two nights to see truly positive results. I had a giant, painful cystic zit on my chin that refused to surface. The inflammation was there, but my standard routine wasn't working because it was still under the skin. I put VapoRub on it one night and it was mostly gone in the morning. The next night, I did the same, and it disappeared further.
How does it work?
I really have no idea. But it does. And it works on all acne -- its effects are especially noticeable with cystic acne because cystic acne is the most noticeable kind. But it works for normal "zits" too, relieving the redness and making the swelling go down.
Acne is an unpleasant malady -- not just because it looks unappealing, but because it can hurt, too. While all those acne medications and washes and scrubs have their benefits, you don't always need to invest big bucks in them ... especially when Vicks VapoRub will work as well as they do.