- Fashion and Beauty»
- Skin Care
What Helps Sagging Skin
Are you worried saggy skin as you age?
What cause sagging skin?
Sagging skin is the skin that droops or dangles down. It is not a pleasant phrase but it exists. Whether you like it or not, we will have to face the fact that sagging skin will eventually replace our youthful and tight skin as we age. I know it sounds quite scary. However, the good news is that we can slow sagging skin from showing by understanding the causes of it and using the right solutions.
Common causes of sagging skin
- Aging: Our bones shrink as we age. The collagen and elastin, the main structural components of youthful skin start to decrease in our 40's.
- Sun exposure: UV lights damage the skin structure
- Dramatic and rapid weight loss: Large amount of fat lost during dramatic weight loss creates a large empty pocket that results excess skin.
- Gravity: Gravity is the main force that pull down all weak and excess skin even further.
- Smoking: Nicotine in cigarettes impairs the blood flow which can damage your skin because of lack of oxygen and important nutrients
What helps sagging skin
There are easy and affordable ways that help sagging skin:
- Anti-gravity: Try any exercise that requires your head down first to reverse the gravity pull. Downward facing dog pose in yoga is one of the good example of anti-gravity exercise.
- Egg & clay facial mask: Use egg or clay to make facial mask to help tighten the loose skin on your face. It works great if you have your head pointing downward while you’re using the egg or clay facial mask. It practically help lift droopy eyes and tighten the pores due to loose skin. See video.
Home made facial mask
- Food: Vitamin A helps increasing the collagen; vitamin E, an antioxidant that counteract the effect the molecules that damage collagen; Omega 3 reinforces the skin cell membrane; Zinc support collagen and elastic growth in skin. Eat more food that contains omega 3 and collagen. Therefore, fish,vegetables and fruits are great for your skin. Don't forget to drink a lot of water to keep your skin hydrated and clear out the toxins and waster products in your body.
- Exercise: Exercise helps burn the unwanted fat and firm up the muscle which can fill the loose spot underneath the skin. There are many great way to tone up your muscle, such as weight-lifting, biking, swimming and yoga. Exercises that require your head down help fight the gravity from pulling your skin downward. Try hanging your head over the edge of your bed for 10 minutes each time you lay in bed.
- Sunscreen and moisturizers: Use sunscreen to protect your skin from UV rays. Apply moisturizers to keep your skin moist, restore the damaged skin cell and protect it from further damage.
- Massage: Massage your skin to keep the blood circulate can result in healthy skin.
- Get enough sleep: your body repairs and detoxifies your skin when you are asleep.
It takes time to tighten up the sagging skin, especially if you have excess skin after weight loss. But if you want a quick result and don’t mind the high cost, you can go with more high-tech ways. Cosmetic lift, for example, a surgical procedure that removes excess skin and tightens loose skin anywhere on your body. You can do a face lift, brow lift, neck lift, breast lift, arm lift and thigh lift. A face lift costs at least $10,000 depending upon where you get it done.
Feedback from cosmetic lift patients:
How to prevent saggy skin
Although no one can stop the aging process that may cause saggy skin, we can prevent saggy skin from showing too early by:
- Protecting your skin from the UV light.
- Eating healthy and keep yourself hydrated at all time.
- Exercising regularly, especially the anti-gravity exercises
- Having enough rest.
- Avoid extra fat in your body as this can increase the amount of skin.