- Fashion and Beauty
What to Do for Dry Damaged Hair
What Causes Damage to Your Hair?
The first thing you need to figure out is what is damaging your hair in the first place. I didn't realize I had hair breakage until I went with a straight style. I couldn't believe the damage that was there. The cause was from using a curling iron without using a heat protectant. Fine hair can't take a lot of heat and I have fine hair.
Another cause can be from having a perm or having your hair colored. Most hair can take these processes, but you can't do them often. If your hair can be damaged easily, never let your beautician put you under a dryer to process a perm.
It is important to have your hair trimmed for split ends on a regular basis. The hair can split and break quite a distance up the length.It takes a long time to grow out if this happens.
The sun and wind will damage hair and dry it out. It is hard on your hair. If you are outdoors a lot in wind, cold or sun, you need to protect your hair.
Treatment for Damaged Hair
- First head right to the beautician and get a good cut. Get the hair cut as short as you are comfortable with. Mine wanted to layer my hair. I wouldn't let her, because my hair is just too fine and thin for that sort of cut. You know yourself what you like - stick to your guns.
- Purchase a good conditioner. Your stylist will recommend one, but you can find one at your local discount store cheaper. Don't purchase the cheapest one on the shelf. Unless you have oily hair, purchase one for dry damaged hair. It should also have added protein.Use it after every shampoo. Leaving the conditioner on your hair for several minutes helps it absorb more. Rinse it out after that.
- Comb your hair carefully. Start combing at the bottom first to remove tangles and work your way to the scalp. Quit using a brush when the hair is wet. It can cause more damage than just a comb.
- Once the tangles are all removed, spray on a leave-in moisturizer.
- Don't use styling products that contain alcohol. These can dry out the hair. You should check labels before purchasing them. This includes hairspray.
- If you are going to use a styling appliance like a curling iron or blow dryer, read below.
Treatment for Heat Damaged Hair
My beautician told me that hair can burn at any heat over 100 degrees. The average curling iron can reach temperatures up to 500 degrees. I identified one of the causes of my hair damage right away. Blow dryers can get hot too. If you use one, you should follow the advice also.
There are special heat protectants that can be purchased from your beautician or at your local strore. I purchased Redken Extreme Anti-Snap. This works well, but isn't inexpensive. I paid around $16 for a 8.5 ounce bottle. I noticed later that Pantene and many other brands are available. A product that you leave in your hair is best. Look for one that has added protein too, as that will help heal your hair also.
For now, I'm not styling my hair with heat. The sun can damage your hair too, so I'm still using the product when I know I'll be outside for long periods of time. I am also using a conditioner and a spray-on anti-frizz product to keep my hair moisturized.
Preventing Weather Damage
If you've been out on a hot sunny day, your head can get hot and your skin can sunburn. If the sun can burn your skin, think about what it is doing to your hair. Besides drying it out and damaging it, it can bleach your hair too. You should use a heat protector just like you would with heat styling appliances. Wearing sun hats is a good idea or a scarf. The sun hat will protect your face at the same time, and help to prevent aging later on.
Wind can damage hair and dry it out too. .A friend of mine rode on a motorcycle with the love of her life all summer. By the end of the summer, she had to get her hair cut short, because it was ruined by the wind. Wear a scarf when it is windy. A helmet is a must when riding a motorcycle for your protection and your hair's. Wear a ponytail or a style where you can put the hair inside the helmet.
By AndreasChoice, Youtube
Monthly Treatments for Damaged Hair
A hot oil treatment is a good idea until you get your hair back into shape. These can be purchased at any discount store. Clairol sells one.
Don't use hair coloring or a perm on your hair unless you feel it is an absolute must. Both of these products dry the hair. At least try putting them off longer than usual if you feel you just can't do without them.
Did you have a problem with dry damaged hair?
Please be sure to share with us any cures you have found for damaged hair.